Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 10:46:46 PM EDT
Im a 13M and Im about to commission, and I'll be a 13A (FA Officer). I know someone who is a Med Service Officer and is a 2LT, about to pin 1LT. They went to A&M and went to Airborne, is a hard charger, running, rucking, room clearing machine. Thought he wanted Med Services so he could get school paid for, get out and get a medical job. Turns out MSC blows and he hates it. Not getting what he wants, and he's missing valuable Platoon Time. Is there any way he can Branch Transfer? Not asking about likelihood or probability. Can it be done? Most likely he wants to for Combat Arms. FA, IN, Armor/Cav or maybe even Engineers. Can he do that before CCC? Otherwise he is looking at trying to go CA/SF.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's possible in the Guard.  I almost did it recently (until I found out I'd have to repay my commissioning bonus if I did).  You just have to find a slot and be accepted into it, then go to CCC.  That will switch your branch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell him put in a SF packet as soon as his year group is eligible. Try and get Ranger school in the mean time if he can get a slot. One of my best Det. commanders was former MSC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
More than likely no until he gets closer to CPT and is getting ready to go to CCC.  The only real option for him today would be the Cyber VTIP going on.  Regular VTIP is only looking at 1LT(P) and above.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell him to go to flight school.  MS guys run MEDEVAC units…

Disclaimer:  I’m not an MS guy and don’t have all the answers…

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top