Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
Summary: I have been trying to enlist as a 153A for a year now and there is still no word or Warrant Officer board meeting set up despite me hounding them on a weekly basis.

I have been trying to enlist as a warrant aviator for the last 12 months.  I have letters of recommendation from a LCDR SH-60 aviator, a retired submarine CDR, and my congressman (also a retired USMC MAJ).  I have a bachelor's degree, I am 100% physically fit, and I have exemplary remarks from past employers.  I am 30, and yes, I understand I decided to enlist much later than I should have, but that's life.  Coming from a military family, I know just enough about the chain of command so that a few months ago, I made a call to the recruiting company's office and personally spoke to the 1SG.  When I went into the recruiting station later that day, it was like the SECDEF himself made a personal call.

Every time I go in to the station or call, it's something that's preventing them from helping move my packet along.  A background check expires, so they have to redo that one, well then while waiting for that, another expires.  Or my physical expires, or my recruiter is on leave, or WHATEVER.  It's always something.  And that's even if I can get my recruiter on the phone.  He's constantly "busy", "driving", or "in a meeting."  I finally met and interviewed with the company commander after I pulled about 100 teeth, and she gave me a go ahead, but still nothing has been heard from the battalion level.  

I'm not getting any younger and I'm stuck in a job I REALLY dislike while still living with my parents again because I thought it was going to be temporary.  I can't change those things until I'm enlisted or they say I'm not going because it will start my paperwork and packet all over. It's INSANE to me that they are wasting so much time that my background checks and physicals are EXPIRING.  I was about to make another call to the 1SG, but of course he is on leave this week.

Is this just an elaborate mental strength/personality assessment and selection course?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Think of it this way. That's what the ENTIRE army is like. Enjoy.

Really tho there are stupid deadlines and limits for everything g they don't match up and when one it expires it screws up everything. Unfortunately you can't make them do there job or do it better. Might want to look at other branches and see if you can't make more progress.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You haven't enlisted yet, and you want a guarantee of warrant school and aviation?

Sorry, maybe things have changed, but that's not the Army I remember.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You do realize that the Army is down-sizing right now...drastically.

Needs of the service and all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
good luck........
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude you obviously don't know how stuff in the Army works. You calling the 1SG and the Commander fucked over those recruiters, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose paperwork on purpose because of that. They also wouldn't want some guy who has never been in, coming into their workplace, fucking shit up for them and demanding that he get something that will make him outrank them. You should go in there apologize to them for what you did, and ask them to help you out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude you obviously don't know how stuff in the Army works. You calling the 1SG and the Commander fucked over those recruiters, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose paperwork on purpose because of that. They also wouldn't want some guy who has never been in, coming into their workplace, fucking shit up for them and demanding that he get something that will make him outrank them. You should go in there apologize to them for what you did, and ask them to help you out.
View Quote

I agree, but those guys will still hold a grudge...I would say he is done
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep

You ain't special OP. You're just a number.  Welcome to the military.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah just start fresh, and ask for an MOS that he might actually get training for right away. (of course that doesn't mean they won't retrain you for something else based on the needs of the Army).

Get in first, serve an enlistment period, shine at whatever it is you do, then worry about career path once you have that under your belt.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 ... unfortunately thats how the Army works sometimes... you should look at another branch
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1 ... unfortunately thats how the Army works sometimes... you should look at another branch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should add that I only broke the chain of command after zero progress had been made and they weren't helping me, with no help in sight.  The meeting with the Captain is a required part of my packet.  If I want to submit a WOCS/WOFT packet, which is possible as an off-the-street enlistment, they are the route.  This is part of their job description.  

Not to mention, a few months prior, I was at work and received a phone call from the recruiter stating that one of my background checks they were re-running came back (from a place I hadn't been in 7 years and had passed previously) with a warrant for my arrest.  I immediately called the city and county in Texas where I lived and they said they had no idea what I was talking about.  When I called the recruiting station back to tell them, he was laughing, saying "oops, haha, it was a joke".  

I like the warrant route because it will get me the most flight time.  I know commissioned officer pilots, and they have all told me that they don't fly nearly as much as the warrants.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand I am a number, but I would at least like to have a chance to submit my completed packet.  

I went above at the advice of "fuck the chain of command.  they're not doing their job" from a retired LTC, and NCOs from various services.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I understand I am a number, but I would at least like to have a chance to submit my completed packet.  

I went above at the advice of "fuck the chain of command.  they're not doing their job" from a retired LTC, and NCOs from various services.
View Quote

Maybe you should find a warrant officer who has recently went through the street to seat process and ask him for advice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Summary: I have been trying to enlist as a 153A for a year now and there is still no word or Warrant Officer board meeting set up despite me hounding them on a weekly basis.

I have been trying to enlist as a warrant aviator for the last 12 months.  I have letters of recommendation from a LCDR SH-60 aviator, a retired submarine CDR, and my congressman (also a retired USMC MAJ).  I have a bachelor's degree, I am 100% physically fit, and I have exemplary remarks from past employers.  I am 30, and yes, I understand I decided to enlist much later than I should have, but that's life.  Coming from a military family, I know just enough about the chain of command so that a few months ago, I made a call to the recruiting company's office and personally spoke to the 1SG.  When I went into the recruiting station later that day, it was like the SECDEF himself made a personal call.

Every time I go in to the station or call, it's something that's preventing them from helping move my packet along.  A background check expires, so they have to redo that one, well then while waiting for that, another expires.  Or my physical expires, or my recruiter is on leave, or WHATEVER.  It's always something.  And that's even if I can get my recruiter on the phone.  He's constantly "busy", "driving", or "in a meeting."  I finally met and interviewed with the company commander after I pulled about 100 teeth, and she gave me a go ahead, but still nothing has been heard from the battalion level.  

I'm not getting any younger and I'm stuck in a job I REALLY dislike while still living with my parents again because I thought it was going to be temporary.  I can't change those things until I'm enlisted or they say I'm not going because it will start my paperwork and packet all over. It's INSANE to me that they are wasting so much time that my background checks and physicals are EXPIRING.  I was about to make another call to the 1SG, but of course he is on leave this week.

Is this just an elaborate mental strength/personality assessment and selection course?
View Quote

I didn't read...but yes. your recruiter is blowing smoke up your ass.  

ANDDDDDDD....just because I like gifs....

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like the warrant route because it will get me the most flight time.  I know commissioned officer pilots, and they have all told me that they don't fly nearly as much as the warrants.
View Quote

Never heard of anyone enlisting as a WO.

The ones I knew all worked their way up from another MOS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

In the real Army saying "fuck the chain of command" gets you fucked. A chain of command is there for a reason. And why would you listen to what a LTC has to say about enlisted personnel? Sorry if this is blunt but your entitled ass wouldn't last as an enlisted soldier. I recommend that you get commissioned if you still want in. JMHO
Quoted:

It is "possible" to come in as a WO. That being said I have never heard of it actually happening. Probably because of things like this. Usually WOs pride themselves on having earned their rank instead of having been handed it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is "possible" to come in as a WO. That being said I have never heard of it actually happening. Probably because of things like this. Usually WOs pride themselves on having earned their rank instead of having been handed it.
View Quote

You must not be in the aviation field, huh?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a street to seat WOC in my basic. They happen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You haven't enlisted yet, and you want a guarantee of warrant school and aviation?

View Quote
Street to seat. It's common. In fact, the selection rates from OTS have historically been higher than enlisted. That's all I really know about it.

Paging CFII. CFII to the white courtesy phone please.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Street to seat. It's common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Street to seat. It's common.

I didn't have much contact with Army Aviation other than getting a ride, good to know.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Pm me.  The Warrant Officer Liberation Front (WOLF) is storng... If you want it, there's always a way.  And as a WO, it's your job to to go around all levels of command at any given chance and still get the job done (and look cool doing it).  It's what we do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was a Recruiter (worse 3 years of my life) we were missioned to enlist High Shcool grads with a AFQT score of 50 or better.

Any work we did on WOFT and OIC packets or anyone with an AFQT below 50 did not count toward our monthly mission.

Your Recruiter is probably busting his ass to meet his mission and you are not a priority to him.

They may have changed the way it works since I was a recruiter from 93 to 96.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Between downsizing tens of thousands of soldiers a year (next FY is like 15,000 smaller?), and the Aviation branch being over strength (the promotion rate is at like 25% currently?)… Basically, those recruiters have no reason to put in the extra effort.  You ain't making them no monay.  And their boss’s priorities are probably very different.

You've never been convinced of a crime, have you?  Or had a mental/behavioral diagnosis? Or tat'd up neck and arms?  You might not be qualified and they're just not saying it bluntly.  If you're sure you're good to go all the way around, I'd suggest:

1)  Go to a local college with an ROTC program.  ROTC instructors and PMS's (Professor of Military Science, not the other thing) interact significantly more with O's and WO's; local recruiters don't do Officer packets very much and may not be familiar with it.

2)  Go to another recruiting station, in your nearest city or something.  Somewhere that handles a lot more recruiting, has a lot more recruiters, and a better climate for customer service.  After all, these guys at your recruiting station aren't sales reps for the Army... they're just some random schmucks who got tossed there (ahem "SELECTED").

3)  Work online for a solution.  I'm not familiar with the Aviation programs, but I know there are a ton of recruiting tools scattered all over the hundreds of Army websites for each little installation.

BONUS:  Welcome to the Army!  It's the world's largest, most inefficient bureaucracy/ corporation!  If the Army needs 100 pilots, and they already have 100 pilots…  You won't be a pilot even if Moses and Jonah are your recruiters.  Have you thought about alternatives?  If you want to be a WO, CID is hurting for people (their advertisements are everywhere).  SF (if you think you can make it) is doing that SOD-X program thingie, which means they're hiring too.  Logistics and support-type jobs are available too, if you can stand that kind of un-sexy stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh and if the question says, "Is my recruiter lying about ...."

The answer is ALWAYS YES.

lefty out!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
No recruiters don't always lie. The recruiting regulations are punitive. They do not get any credit for a WO enlistment so they won't put any extra effort into processing the packet.

Some lie and deserve to be sent to the house.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Not sure what unit you are trying to get into. Is it Army Guard?

Our state doesn't take warrants off the street. They pretty much want crew chiefs first that move into pilot slots. My two cents not sure how active works?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Boss, last I checked the max age for getting a commission or warrant for aviation was 28. You can still get warrant/commission in other branches up to 35 I believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top