Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
Background: Eight years in the Army as a Ranger, got out with a honorable discharge.

I am currently using my post 9/11 for college and flight school. I have a valid helicopter commercial certificate, 1st class med, and taking my instrument rating check ride in a couple weeks. Additionally I have over 100 hours of turbine time in Bell 206L3 and L4, roughly 300 hours total time.

With what I have, anyone currently serving or has served as a Coast Guard helicopter pilot have any advice as far as getting into the CG and their helicopters. Talking to a recruiter Tuesday (we all know how that goes).

This is a backup plan for the event congress goes through revising bill HR476gi to cut flight school funding. My goal is to stay on course and get my CFI/II this summer and fall, then hopefully get hired as a CFI somewhere to progress experience.

I wear glasses (never got laser due to deployment tempo), and I have probably more tattoos than anyone on ARFcomno face shit or anything crazy. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I can offer no help but your motivated and that trumps a lot of shit ! Good luck I bet you will make it !
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sitting here with a big bowl of popcorn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sitting here with a big bowl of popcorn.
View Quote

totally dying from the excitement... I should GD this
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was uncle sams confused group

have a buddy went E8 brown shoe to O2, 3, Black shoe

I got nuffin but best wishes for ya!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the excitement in this thread is building rather slowly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to fly in the CG, you are going to need a BA/BS degree and go to CG OCS, or you can go the direct commission aviator route from another service.  If you have the degree, I would imagine that you would be very competitive for OCS with your Ranger service. Selection for flight school in the CG is competitive as well.  You will be up against some talented individuals, and you may not get a spot.  Would you be ok with being in the CG and not flying?  Another route to consider is Marine OCS with a flight contract.  Again, you will need a BA/BS, and they would love the Ranger experience.  A third option is Army flight school which I am sure you are aware of.  

One thing to consider is that flying in the CG comes with a lot of "collateral duties."  In reality, these are your primary duties.  If you are a great pilot, but let your office work slide, you will not make it to 20.  

That said, saving lives in a CG helicopter is pretty badass.  If you end up at a busy air station like NOLA, you will be a SAR whore.

Good luck, thanks for serving. Rangers always impressed me.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit to add: just saw the tattoos. You might check on the policies there.  Could be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, first off, WHY the Coast Guard???

Probably the SMALLEST Aviation Community in the DOD.....

AND, if you didn't graduate from the Academy, it's going to be very, VERY tough to get a flight slot.....(Opinion only, not "FACT" Based, but due to what I know, it's very likely).

I had several WOFT classmates go from the Army to the Coast Guard back in the late 80's, but they never did get their degree, so they ended up getting passed over and getting forced out.  

With your ARMY background, why NOT the Army Warrant/Aviation Branch option?  Because you've been IN THE ARMY???

With your Ranger background, you'd have a good shot at getting into TF160 at some time in your future....

I would offer the Air Force as a Helicopter Pilot as your Primary Option!!!  Lot's of different missions, CSAR, Missile Site Support, VIP, Special Ops, and the option to go to the V-22 at some point...

All food for thought...

Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to answer for you....

You said you're talking to a Recruiter on Tuesday....Is this your AVERAGE Storefront Recruiter, or is he/she an OFFICER RECRUITER???

There is a difference.  The Air Force has specific Officer Recruiters......As does the Marine Corps and the Navy....That I KNOW of....I assume the Army does too, but for the Warrant Program is was the standard Recruiter....
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to fly in the CG, you are going to need a BA/BS degree and go to CG OCS, or you can go the direct commission aviator route from another service.  If you have the degree, I would imagine that you would be very competitive for OCS with your Ranger service. Selection for flight school in the CG is competitive as well.  You will be up against some talented individuals, and you may not get a spot.  Would you be ok with being in the CG and not flying?  Another route to consider is Marine OCS with a flight contract.  Again, you will need a BA/BS, and they would love the Ranger experience.  A third option is Army flight school which I am sure you are aware of.  

One thing to consider is that flying in the CG comes with a lot of "collateral duties."  In reality, these are your primary duties.  If you are a great pilot, but let your office work slide, you will not make it to 20.  

That said, saving lives in a CG helicopter is pretty badass.  If you end up at a busy air station like NOLA, you will be a SAR whore.

Edit to add: just saw the tattoos. You might check on the policies there.  Could be a problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, answered a lot of the things I was going back and forth on. I wasn't sure on the rank needed for pilots, but I'm in school, so I just continue to stick to it and what they say. Do you know how long their flight school is and where the training is conducted?

Okay, first off, WHY the Coast Guard???

Probably the SMALLEST Aviation Community in the DOD.....

AND, if you didn't graduate from the Academy, it's going to be very, VERY tough to get a flight slot.....(Opinion only, not "FACT" Based, but due to what I know, it's very likely).

I had several WOFT classmates go from the Army to the Coast Guard back in the late 80's, but they never did get their degree, so they ended up getting passed over and getting forced out.

With your ARMY background, why NOT the Army Warrant/Aviation Branch option? Because you've been IN THE ARMY???

With your Ranger background, you'd have a good shot at getting into TF160 at some time in your future....

I would offer the Air Force as a Helicopter Pilot as your Primary Option!!! Lot's of different missions, CSAR, Missile Site Support, VIP, Special Ops, and the option to go to the V-22 at some point...

All food for thought...

Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to answer for you....

You said you're talking to a Recruiter on Tuesday....Is this your AVERAGE Storefront Recruiter, or is he/she an OFFICER RECRUITER???

There is a difference. The Air Force has specific Officer Recruiters......As does the Marine Corps and the Navy....That I KNOW of....I assume the Army does too, but for the Warrant Program is was the standard Recruiter....

Want CG because from what I hear (and don't know) it is a more relaxed environment than what I dealt with in the Army. This is a more selfish move than selfless, by that I mean I want to join for the flight experience, not necessarily "serving uncle sam." The Army won't take me back, they changed the tattoo regs right as I was getting out, same with Marines and AF (far as I know) Another big reason is I'm done doing the deployment life "jumping out of airplanes and smoking fools," over that shit, and looking for a stateside flight gig where I can still help folks with search/rescue, CFI, etc.

Didn't have time to get a hold of the local office today (Vegas) but I sincerely appreciate the responses/information. Once again, this a back up plan in case congress shuts down post 9/11 funding for flight schools. Instrument check ride next week too
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I CAN tell you that Coast Guard Aviator's go thru the NAVAL AVIATOR program.....

IF you have too many tattoo's for the Army, AF, and Marines, I'm NOT SURE how the Coast Guard is going to look at things.....

Might explore REMOVAL......

IF it's a DREAM, and you REALLY WANT IT, cost won't be an issue....

I'm not sure where the CG is in their Aviation needs right now.

Overstaffed, Understaffed, or Just Right.  All those things play into recruiting requirements.....

I will say that the CG will probably pull MOST of their Aviator's from the Academy, just like the AF and Navy do....But, IF they need more, then they'll go off the street....

Are you ANYWHERE NEAR a Coast Guard Aviation Unit???

Maybe a few phone calls, and maybe you can meet someone who's on active duty, would give you a leg up....

Remember, RECRUITERS LIE!!!!  And, as Prior Service, you know that!!!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.cnatra.navy.mil/training_pilot.htm
CG helo pilots train with the Marines and Navy at NAS Whiting.  Selection of airframe and duty station is a bit of a crap shoot.  Helos are popular in the CG, so you could end up with Hercs or 144s.  Transition training for the 60 and 65 is at Mobile.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like the army may be relaxing the tattoo policy…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top