Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2015 12:04:20 AM EDT
When deployed, what did you typically use your knife for? Also, what was the most extreme thing you saw a knife used for?

Trying to get ideas on how a knife was used on the battlefield. Cutting 550 cord, opening mre meals, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You ever try to open an MRE  without a knife,  damn plastic is almost as thick as a canteen
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You ever try to open an MRE  without a knife,  damn plastic is almost as thick as a canteen
View Quote

FPNI

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
MREs.

Most extreme?

Saw a Marine kill a mouse with his fixed bayonet.  Then he felt bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those seatbelt cutters RFI gives you? dual purpose MRE openers

My knife saw a lot of box opening action
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
WARNING  If you ever deploy with a GOOD knife, NEVER show it to anyone.  Keep a cheaper one or an issue one to lend to people when requested.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Cuts like butter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I opened MREs, boxes, crates, stripped wire, loosened screws, pried things open, cleaned and trimmed my finger nails, opened letters, chopped up bugs, or camel spiders and the occasional scorpion, scraped carbon of bolts, whittled sticks, carved initials, carved insults into things, stabbed a guys sandwich, but I never got a knife kill.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Haha, "stabbed a guy's sandwich". That's great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
FPNI

If you have to resort to knives somebody fucked up and didn't order enough ammo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go right the hell through 550 cord too.

OP, I mostly used mine to open boxes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I cut the usual stuff, boxes, mr. e's takeout, 550, flexcuffs off of detainees.  But I also used my fixed blade quite a bit to pry lock hasps off of when we found shit in sector.  Also I once pried open the trunk floor on some old Iraqi's shitbox car because he matched the BOLO for the day.  Sure 'nuff - grenades.

Did a lot of cool stuff with my folder and fixed blade.  I emailed cold steel to thank them but I never got a response.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I peppered an entire MRE that way  hitting the little bottle of tabasco
Quoted:
FPNI

If you have to resort to knives somebody fucked up and didn't order enough ammo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I cut a detainees hand once cutting off 550 cord handcuffs. I think there might have been 2 or 3 drops of blood. Other than that 550 cord and MREs. I should add, I cut his hand on accident, not purpose.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Always dumb stuff as others have said, 550, MREs, used as a screwdriver/other tool.  I would never bring a nice knife on a deployment, I always just go to walmart and find the $5 special.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I used mine to open MRE's, or care packages.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
MREs and cutting cigars.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My $15 Swiss Army Tinker was the best deployment knife I ever had. It did everything I needed a knife to do and then some, and I still carry that little beauty every day.

I noticed a lot of Soldiers in my section who had those big, Chinese turd-handled saw-back knives, but no decent pocket knife for everyday cutting chores, so when Christmas time rolled around, they all got Swiss Army Tinkers and advice to lose the Chinese turd-handled saw-back knives.

My other knife was my old ass stainless Spyderco Endura II that is still one of the best blades I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I usually carry a multi-tool instead of a knife.  

The scissors, pliers, and screwdrivers come in handy more often than a blade…

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Me personally? A lot of 550 cord, some W2 cables to make antennas.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I usually carry a multi-tool instead of a knife.  

The scissors, pliers, and screwdrivers come in handy more often than a blade…

View Quote

^^^^^

I had a Gerber automatic NSN model, which was very handy for cutting, but looking back I think the ideal issue knife would have been a lightweight small fist dagger style box cutter with a backwards pull ripper (like a seatbelt cutter).  I would buy my own Leathermans rather than use/carry the NSN Gerber multi-tools.  No clue why people are so concerned with knives or multi-tools as they are IMO an expendable item.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Stir coffee. Threaten seamen. Cut wire rope and towing hawsers. Minor surgery.

All bullshit aside, I was a boatswain's mate when in the navy, and used a knife about a hundred times a day. Mostly cutting line and canvas. Generally preferred a straight, non angled blade with a sheep's toe. The stiring coffee part I was however serious about...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Chow opener. 550 cutter. Bolt scraper. Haj threatener. I had a benchmade auto Stryker my first.
A microtech ulratech my second and now carry a cqc-7 auto.
I don't do liner lock or anything I can't close with one hand easily.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I got bored one day and decided to do some product improvement on an old M7 bayonet. This is what I came up with:

Haji don't like it.

It's useless and I'd have probably gotten court martialed to shit if I'd ever used it on some smartass Haji, but it was a fun little time waster.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#26]
MRE, package, box opener, trim my fingernails or clean behind them when bored, show off to a weird Marine that has a massive knife collection with him and back home, many things...
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seatbelt cutter rocked.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Not on flex-cuffs, LOL.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got bored one day and decided to do some product improvement on an old M7 bayonet. This is what I came up with:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/doubleclaw/The%20Gun%20Closet/DSC_0042.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/doubleclaw/The%20Gun%20Closet/DSC_0043.jpg

Haji don't like it.

It's useless and I'd have probably gotten court martialed to shit if I'd ever used it on some smartass Haji, but it was a fun little time waster.
View Quote

I've heard that they are wacky scared of big knives/swords in general.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a benchmade adamas 375 that I pulled on a lot of children and few elders but never cut anybody. Mostly used on gift packages from people that had can tops that required can openers and Australian mre's in tarren kowt. Well worth the $.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a ZT folder that has been with me since 2011 and is just awesome, the S30V tool steel is some tough stuff.
I've used this knife for all the usual stuff like cutting ripe and 550 cord MRE's and opening up a shit ton of triwalls out of the back of CH-53's and V-22's. I would say about the most extreme was killing skinning and butchering a goat with it in Helmand in late 2012 so me and the Marines we supported could have some real meat. I had a thing of Dillon dust as seasoning, and after grilling it for a while it turned out pretty good considering we hadn't had anything but MRE,s for the past 4 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top