Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 10:08:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe. I had a couple awards that aren't on my DD214. I didn't care to have it corrected. My father's records were lost in the big fire and all they provided was verification of service. I managed to find a copy of his discharge after his death that had his WWII victory and occupation medals listed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It should.  Does it?  It depends.  For Army enlisted in the WW2 era, the discharge paper is the WD AGO 53-55.

Until pretty recently (1990s), service records were paper based.  Records depend on data entry - some one hand enter the info.  If the clerk didn't enter it, it didn't get entered.  It isn't always automatic now and it certainly wasn't in the 1940s.  Sometimes Soldiers don't double check or care.  As a personnel sergeant I used to know always said "the only person your records are important to is you".

At the end of WW2, millions of Joes were getting demobilized in a hurry.  Most didn't give a shit (then), all they wanted was their discharge and to get home.  Did they scrutinize their 53-55 as the harried and unconcerned clerk pounded it out?  And remember we're talking manual typewriters and carbon paper...  No correcting Selectric IIIs, white-out, or computers with laser printers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all of my awards are listed on my DD214. I received an Army Commendation medal when I got out and the base commander didn't sign the paperwork until a day after I was released. I have the official paperwork/orders for the medal so it's not that important to me that its on my DD214.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
All of your awards and training are on your page 13. DD214 generally aren't accumulative and tend to cover your last enlistment. I only see the stuff from my last 6 year enlistment on my DD214. I was in the Navy and can't speak to what he other branches do or even if this varies from command to command.

ETA: Let me add the caveat that all of it should be on your page 13. It may not be depending on how diligent personnel was.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  There is one not listed on mine.  But with that on the list and $3 (includes tip) I can buy a coffee at Starbucks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're interested, the admin shop that discharged you can add your award on a DD-215.  Should be easy to send them the paperwork.  Not a heavy lift, but as you mentioned, it may not be worth your time.  In any case, that's cool that you got the award.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all of my awards are listed on my DD214. I received an Army Commendation medal when I got out and the base commander didn't sign the paperwork until a day after I was released. I have the official paperwork/orders for the medal so it's not that important to me that its on my DD214.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
They didn't even spell my name right on mine.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are missing medals or other items on your DD-214, you can apply here:

NATIONAL ARCHIVES AND RECORDS

http://www.archives.gov/

You can also request a copy of a family members DD214.

If requesting that an award be added to your file, you should either have a copy of the orders or a copy of your 2-1 showing the award.

I have had to use it several times to get my records updated and current.  I figure that if my grandchildren or someone else views my records some day
I want them to have everything in there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are missing medals or other items on your DD-214, you can apply here:

NATIONAL ARCHIVES AND RECORDS

http://www.archives.gov/

You can also request a copy of a family members DD214.

If requesting that an award be added to your file, you should either have a copy of the orders or a copy of your 2-1 showing the award.

I have had to use it several times to get my records updated and current.  I figure that if my grandchildren or someone else views my records some day
I want them to have everything in there.
View Quote

Good luck with that... I did it and got two awards that I was missing on my DD214...  I was still missing one other, so I tried again... Now they  Can't  find my records!  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
According to my DD214, I have a Korean Service Medal (last given in 1950something). I don't, it should read Kosovo Service Medal (I'm not even 40 years old). Some clerk fat fingered my records, and I just wanted out, so I didn't point it our. There are also awards that I'm authorized that were retroactive after I got out that aren't on there.

My point? DD214s are good for verification of service, but a lot are wrong and many of us just don't care enought to fix them.

I just hope some reporter doesn't do an archive search and look me up as the last surviving solder from the Korean War. That might be embarassing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine doesn't... Some awards were only authorized after I separated.
View Quote

This....plus I knew mine was missing various ones prior to my separation.  It wasn't a big issue to me at the time though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I did not have any problems with my DD214.  All my awards and qualification were listed correctly - but I also went over it with the separations clerk when it was completed and before it was submitted.  I received a MSM on my retirement date, but did not receive it until after I had completed my terminal leave and already had my DD214.  I was unaware it had been submitted since I declined a retirement ceremony in order to return home sooner.

When the award arrived in the mail (I officially retired from 3rd Mar Div on Okinawa but was already back in Texas on my retirement date on terminal leave) it came with the award citation, the medal and a DD215 noting the new award as well as listing a couple of other additional awards for ones I already had (additional gold or bronze stars for the awards)

I requested another set of medals a couple of years later after a fire damaged or destroyed my original shadow box and all medals including the MSM was sent to me.

So everything was fine.  It pays to review your DD214 before they submit it if you are able.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

yea I got some after I got out too.
Never had it corrected but have all the paperwork

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They didn't even spell my name right on mine.

View Quote

WTF?  They give you a working copy to review prior to the signed one being printed.  Wrong name spelling...this one is on you bro.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope...I got a medal or two mailed to me after I was retired and received my 214. To lazy to figure out how to update it.
They left off a school or two but I didn't really care about updating it during the check prior to leaving.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
In theory, it should. In practice, not always. I retired in 2010, and I had a nice lady go through everything with me for about an hour. My DD214 is 2 pages long. After my final copy was made, I got bored one day and started looking at it. There were a few things missing, but nothing major, like a missing purple heart or CIB or anything like that- at least not to me. Like I think I was missing a AAM, and some stupid school. I guess it stands to reason that the more shit is in the equation, the more likely something slips by. I have no idea how careful the clerks were in WW2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top