Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 1:43:56 AM EDT
So, let me tell you a little background about myself. I'm currently a Freshman in college, just about to get my private pilot license for fixed wing. and already did my initial paperwork today. I'm looking into an aviation mos because that way when my 6 year contract is up I can put in for a OCS application and flight slot. Here's the deal. They have a CH-47 crewman mos in the state but it is with another recruiter, they have someone signed in the position but they haven't heard from him in 2 weeks. My recruiter is trying to get them to give me that crew member/ crew chief slot. Is this even possible or are they feeding me lies? otherwise my fall back is going into ATC, MP dog handler, Forward observer or infantry. Also do recruiters get commission or a bonus when someone signs up?

I took the pre-ASVAB test and got a 76.

UPDATE: I have the slot for the CH-47 crew chief (15U)- should I take it since it is the only one in my state and it is officially mine and then i can build reputation in the squadron and then 2 years from now put in for WOCS , or should I wait for a bit let it go to waste and try  and wait for a warrant officer slot to open?

UPDATE 2: Going to MEPS monday and tuesday then swear in. Thanks to all feedback. You guys rock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on that promise,    I seen guys trying to get in slots for years .    and you haven't even done basic  ...  right
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck on that promise,    I seen guys trying to get in slots for years .    and you haven't even done basic  ...  right
View Quote

They didn't promise, They just said there is a shot. but if I were to get it is it a higher chance than someone doing rotc?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
What was your GT score?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What was your GT score?
View Quote

Take the ASVAB next Tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
ROTC won't have anything to do with an enlisted MOS.  If someone is an SMP cadet, they are a 09R and they no longer fill a normal duty MOS.  

What is your GT score?  Not overall ASVAB, GT?  

If you want to fly, and fly only, it would be better to go to Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) rather than pursue a commission through OCS or ROTC.  If you commission, you'll do a lot of other stuff other than fly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, let me tell you a little background about myself. I'm currently a Freshman in college, just about to get my private pilot license for fixed wing. and already did my initial paperwork today. I'm looking into an aviation mos because that way when my 6 year contract is up I can put in for a OCS application and flight slot. Here's the deal. They have a CH-47 crewman mos in the state but it is with another recruiter, they have someone signed in the position but they haven't heard from him in 2 weeks. My recruiter is trying to get them to give me that crew member/ crew chief slot. Is this even possible or are they feeding me lies? otherwise my fall back is going into ATC, MP dog handler, Forward observer or infantry. Also do recruiters get commission or a bonus when someone signs up?

I took the pre-ASVAB test and got a 76.

View Quote

If you want to fly in the army, go warrant. Don't enlist. Don't do an initial contract as a 15whatever. Do the legwork and get your packet in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My recruiter told me I have to do mos training  before I can go warrant officer.Is that true? Or is there a specific packet to go warrant officer?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You'll have to at least go to basic training before you can go to WOCS.  I don't now if you have to do AIT or not.  You are not guaranteed to be selected for WOCS any way you go.  All you can do is put a packet in and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'll have to at least go to basic training before you can go to WOCS.  I don't now if you have to do AIT or not.  You are not guaranteed to be selected for WOCS any way you go.  All you can do is put a packet in and see what happens.
View Quote

So I guess my next question is it better to wait to see or is it better to sign up get done with all my training and get assigned to the chinook squadron, which is what it ways I am, and build my rep there then put in for WOCS
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think it will hurt anything for you to take the crew chief slot and then apply for WOCS later.  It'll give you some enlisted time ad experience as well as some experience with aircraft maintenance and loading.  Just make sure you don't get too close to the age cutoff before you start applying for WOCS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think it will hurt anything for you to take the crew chief slot and then apply for WOCS later.  It'll give you some enlisted time ad experience as well as some experience with aircraft maintenance and loading.  Just make sure you don't get too close to the age cutoff before you start applying for WOCS.
View Quote

If not, I can always go in as an officer... since I will be getting my 4 year degree.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, It is required up here. Not a problem :)   Off to MEPS on monday :) anything I should know before hand?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup, It is required up here. Not a problem :)   Off to MEPS on monday :) anything I should know before hand?
View Quote

Hope  you're not shy.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do like sitting in a room with 30 other dudes in their underwear right?  You should be golden.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You do like sitting in a room with 30 other dudes in their underwear right?  You should be golden.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to prepare the anus?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they make you jump around in your underwear, that is just a warm-up. Remember, the real test is when you are asked to drop them, bend over and spread them...the pain will initially be intense, stay strong!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever had a WWII vet put his finger in your butt before?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
MEPs is the worst. Have fun being hungry and bored the entire time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should I eat a huge breakfast?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring snacks, they say not to but who likes rules anyway? I brought a small book and a clif bar when I went. Saved my life. During the breakfast, wake up a few minutes early and chow down like the alpha male that you are. They had plenty of bacon when I went a year ago!

ETA: don't go MP of any sort.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bring snacks, they say not to but who likes rules anyway? I brought a small book and a clif bar when I went. Saved my life. During the breakfast, wake up a few minutes early and chow down like the alpha male that you are. They had plenty of bacon when I went a year ago!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not MP?  it's in my top 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Only thing that you need to remember... Don't tense up and just let it happen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

With all the tests they're doing?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, all the test............ drop them draws and spread'em. They will kick you out if you giggle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yeah, all the test............ drop them draws and spread'em. They will kick you out if you giggle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore. Shit got repealed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]
What do i need to bring? Obviously my paperwork, but what else?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing. Get a good night sleep. Eat light. And just relax. Its going to suck but get use to it. You will get introduced to the hurry up and wait game.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nothing. Get a good night sleep. Eat light. And just relax. Its going to suck but get use to it. You will get introduced to the hurry up and wait game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A day at MEPS is a half hour of useful activity jammed into fourteen hours. I hope you don't bore easily.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A day at MEPS is a half hour of useful activity jammed into fourteen hours. I hope you don't bore easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a very patient person.  Question, what is the purpose of this "duck walk"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the Danish Army physical exam they do a goose walk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Probly to see how flexible you are.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Flexibility, coordination, and it has a way of outing neurological issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got done with the asvab,  got 87
Have my physical and paperwork tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just got done with the asvab,  got 87
Have my physical and paperwork tomorrow!
View Quote

GT 87?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Nope 110.  Actual asvab score is 87
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#37]
With a 110 GT, you can be an officer.  Barely.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Good luck  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good luck  
View Quote

Thank you!  Are you crew/mech or pilot with Chinooks?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck  

I'm an avionics tech (15N formally a 68N)  The pic in my avatar is ten years old now.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am a Chinook pilot. Do you have any questions about the life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck  

I am a Chinook pilot. Do you have any questions about the life?

I know you are I think NG might be different, but I was told that av. squadrons are an old boys club, so I was wondering,my goal is to work my way into the squadron and work my butt off to try and get a WO slot to be a chinook pilot. Do you think this will help a lot (with boards and such) being a mechanic first?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top