Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:02 PM EDT
My dad was Air Force Reserve in the 60's and 70's.  He never deployed to Vietnam but his unit was alerted a couple of times.  He got out in 72 or 74 I think but he doesn't have a DD214.  He's contacted St Louis and they said they don't have one for him either.  He has some paperwork from his service but not a DD214.  Did the Air Force issue 214's to AFR personnel when they were discharged upon completion of service?  He didn't retire; just ETS'd.  If they did, how can he get another copy?  Already tried the county courthouse and they don't have a copy either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Only Veterans receive DD214s.  If your Dad never deployed, and was never on active duty for more than 90 days, he may not have a DD 214.  The county courthouse would only have a copy if your father had filed it with them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one when I got back from AIT but I'm Army.  I was Army Guard at the time and was not on active duty more than 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
^^   Basic Training and AIT are considered active duty.  

To be considered a Veteran by VA you have to have 2 years Active Duty status or 6 years Reserve/Guard time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  ^^   Basic Training and AIT are considered active duty.  

To be considered a Veteran by VA you have to have 2 years Active Duty status or 6 years Reserve/Guard time.
View Quote

Or, oddly enough, 45 days of activation time for an active duty mission.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Also you need a member 4 copy of your DD214 to get benefits - it does not matter if you have an honorable discharge.  The VA wants the DD214 member 4 - I am facing this issue right now getting another VA loan even though I had one in 2008 and I am/was in the system.  When you get back from active duty or deployment - a member 4/6 copy of your DD214 is sent or maybe sent to your home state VA.   Vetrecs in St Louis should have most of your dad's personal 201 file records - possible DD214, but it depends on how good the UA was in transferring records to the national archives.  Keep copies of everything and depending on what branch you serve - request your records to see what is on file - you may be surprised what is and is not documented of one's service record.  Also - one state's VA system cannot make requests from other state's VA branches - you have to file paperwork and mail / fax it in most of the time for it to get mailed to you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
IM Sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top