Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 11:47:00 PM EDT
ETA: If this belongs in a different forum, I apologize; please move it.

I'm 22, single, and just finished college with a bachelor's degree in health science. I've been working a desk job for an IT company for the past 3 years and I just can't see myself making a career out of it. I've always been a hands-on kind of guy and would much rather be out doing physical labor than sitting in a cubicle working on a computer. I just feel like I'm wasting my life away and want to change directions and start something new. I have a strong mechanical inclination; I work on my motorcycles, car, and firearms and am always looking to learn new things. I've considered going to trade school for either HVAC or something mechanical (diesel, motorcycle, or auto) but that's going to run me close to $25k that I don't have, nor do I want to borrow it since I am still paying off my existing college loans. Since high school, I've always thought about joining a branch of the military and I've always wanted to fly but I decided to continue school instead, which in my opinion turned out to be a waste of time and money.

A friend of mine told me to check out the Air Force, as it tends to be more of a technical branch than the others and there are a lot of job opportunities for AF vets. I've looked into some of the jobs and am very interested in Loadmaster and In Flight Refueling and from what I've read, it seems like these jobs are among the best of the enlisted as they are part of the flight crew and get to travel. I went to meet with the recruiter the other day and asked a bunch of questions and he told me that if I was willing to wait, he could guarantee me either of those 2 jobs as opposed to giving a list and getting something random. I know you'll probably say that sounds too good to be true and he's probably BSing me but I certainly won't sign anything unless that was clearly spelled out. He gave me a practice ASVAB test which only had math, reading comprehension, and vocabulary and I got an 89. I know this doesn't mean much but the recruiter said it's generally a good baseline and people usually get a similar score on the actual test. We also discussed the officer route but I think enlisted is more along the lines of what I am looking for at this point in my life. With my degree, I could start as an E-3.

The recruiter is waiting to hear back from me to set up an appointment at MEPS for the ASVAB and physical exam. I don't think I have any specific questions about the Air Force or enlisting in the military because the recruiter answered just about everything but this whole process is kind of nerve racking. From what I've read, it seems like the first year or so that you are in training can kind of suck but after that, the quality of life is pretty good once you get assigned to a duty station and actually start doing your job. I went to boarding school for high school, so I'm used to being away from home, being on a strict schedule, and being told what to do. So I honestly don't think that will be an issue for me but I guess it's just a really big, life changing decision that is looming before me, waiting to be made. I find myself asking "Am I really going to do this"? Is this feeling normal or does it mean that I should rethink this whole decision? Nobody in my family has ever served so I am pretty new to this. Everyone that I have talked to that is in the AF has told me they felt the same way going into it but that it's been the best decision they've ever made and it's been nothing but a positive experience for them. I've always wanted to serve and I feel like if I never do, it will be a regret that I have to live with forever. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I got bored with your wall of text.

Just do it.  What's the worst that could happen?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let the recruiter talk you into going enlisted, you have damn bachelor's degree.
I was prior AF and after working with both the Army and Navy I'm glad i joined the AF.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a handful of NCOs that had degrees and joined the Army right out of college.  Most of them got out because they felt underutilized, a handful stuck around in niche jobs that they really enjoyed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]
TL;DR

Just join.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
All the loads and booms I know have usually have a pretty good time since they do get to travel quite a bit.

That being said, if you're looking for something that translates well to the outside with solid earning potential have you thought about ATC at all?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Take it from a prior enlisted airman with a college degree, do yourself a favor and go officer.  I had a bone to pick, did my shit work to earn my stripes and got out.  No regrets, but most guys in my situation would have been better off going OTS.

Air Force is a great choice and don't let anyone steer you elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
USAF.

OTS.

E3 ain't shit.  O1 newb pays more than an E5 with 6 years.

Think about it.  It will take you 6 years and E5 to make brand new first day on the job O1.

Still not sure?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USAF.

OTS.

E3 ain't shit.  O1 newb pays more than an E5 with 6 years.

Think about it.  It will take you 6 years and E5 to make brand new first day on the job O1.

Still not sure?
View Quote

As an O1 I made the same amount of money as a married E4, except he got bonuses for signing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't enlist. You'd be crazy to do that. It's not just the monetary and career differences. Enlisted are treated like children for the first 3-5 years. It's agonizing.

Full disclosure: I was in the army, not Air Force. One of my best friends there had come from the Air Force though, and helped color my perception.  I do agree that it's a more technical, and probably more professional branch than some others.

Whatever you do, officer or enlisted, do not join the army. JFC, what a shit show it is. I did 7 years, both wars, and got out as an NCO. I'd go to Canada if the Army sent me a draft notice today. I hated it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't do it!!!

Don't enlist with a degree, the pay stinks and you are worth more.

Don't go commissioned either.  You are worth more that that too.

I retired from the AF and still work for the AF (IG).  I don't encourage anyone to join anymore.

Search for a new, challenging job that pays what you are worth.  Don't waste your degree.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
15 years in the Air Force so far here.  I'm proud of my service and I can't say it's been too bad.  Much like anything else in life it has it's ups and downs.  I will say the Air Force I joined isn't the one I'm serving in now.  Fly, Fight and Win became Watch your ass, fuck your buddy and look good.  

Some of the things I do like about the Air Force are:

-Travel
-Training
-My job, when the conditions permit it's actual applications.
-Quality of life

What I don't like about the Air Force:

-Political Correctness
-Uneven standards
-Double Standards
-Risk aversion
-Lack of focus, i.e. Worrying more about VIP visits than combat readiness, ensuring our Airmen are trained, etc.
-Checking boxes instead of true intent.  
-Corporate mentality, we are a military organization not fucking IBM.  The leadership is quick to remind us we are in the military, but don't expect us to follow through.  Like a Sergeant Major said, "If you get soldiers to look like soldiers, they'll start acting like soldiers."

Overall, for all of the Air Forces warts, I don't mind it much.  I do the best I can for my fellow Airmen and the best I can do for the job.  I look at the Air Force like the parent of a retarded child looks upon their child.  Even though deep down there may be some shame and regret for the child, the parent still loves that child and hopes the best for it.  That retarded child is the Air Force to me.  

OP- theres a hell of alot worse you could do than join the Air Force.  Buy the ticket and take the ride.  Best of luck to you sir.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Be an officer if you can. But if you DO decide to enlist, Loadmaster is a great job.

<------Retired Loadmaster.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
if you want to have fun and smash terrorist get into AFSOC, try gunships as a sensor , gunner, or FCO. Or try U-28s. if you want to do ground work ask to be a CCT. I was navy P-3s and it was ok, but I wish i would of known about gunships or JTAC work when I decided to join the military. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Former Boom Operator here, had fun while in but it has ZERO transferable skills to the outside world.  Use your degree and IT skills if you decide to join.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I enjoyed 19 of my 20 years in the Air Force. The last year sucked, but it was more the people and the unit I was in than the base and the location where I was.

Best advice IMO would be get into something that has some transferable skills outside the military, because you won't be in the military your whole life. With a degree I'd go for a commission instead of enlisted.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I was Army, but I ended up knowing and hanging out with a lot of AF types so here's my .02. You have one big choice to make, officer or enlisted. You can always try for a comission once you're in, but if you go officer from the start you are going to stay an officer for your entire career. Not that it's a bad thing, but there is no downard mobility.

The reason I brought that up is because you mentioned you are interested in HVAC or some other mechanical trade. As an officer you will have zero opportunity to work in these fields. The AF has facility engineering and vehicle repair MOS's. There are civilian licenses and certifications you can get that will be directly transferable to the civilian economy. It may take more than one enlistment to get enough time to punch your ticket, but it can be done.

Since you have student debit I wouldn't enlist unless part of the deal is getting that paid off. The recruiter you are dealing with sounds like he's giving you the straight deal. If you want a specific job, wait for it, it will open up. If you take what they are offering right now you will probably end up with something you don't like. Despite what they tell you, most of what they train you for and in has no direct civilian eqivelant.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to everyone for your insight and opinions. Very helpful to hear what others have to say, especially those that have been in a position similar to mine at one point. There are a few things that have come up during my last recruiter meeting that may be potential roadblocks for me: the first is the fact that I have dual citizenship; I would need to renounce my second citizenship (which would be fine) but there still could be problems getting a security clearance for certain jobs. The second issue came up when discussing health records; when I was younger, I had a short period of time when I had what was diagnosed to be cluster headaches. I saw a neurologist and was given medication. It has not been an issue for the past couple years and I am not on any medication. The recruiter is unsure if this is disqualifying or waivable and says that it is generally up to the MEPS doctor to determine based on his interpretation of my neurologist's records. I am scheduled to go to MEPS on January 19 to take the ASVAB and get a physical. I will keep this thread updated as time moves forward. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#18]
What nation do you hold dual citizenship in? Unless you're an Arab, Chinese, or Russian I can't see this being much of an issue. Back in the cold war eastern European citizenship was an issue, but most of that has gone by they way side.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What nation do you hold dual citizenship in? Unless you're an Arab, Chinese, or Russian I can't see this being much of an issue. Back in the cold war eastern European citizenship was an issue, but most of that has gone by they way side.
View Quote

Germany
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Germany
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Germany

Your German citizenry should not be an issue.

The headaches, who knows? The military is being very selective these days, but good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The headaches, who knows? The military is being very selective these days, but good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Germany

I went to AIT with a girl who had dual German/US citizenship. Basic with a Brit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are a few things that have come up during my last recruiter meeting that may be potential roadblocks for me: the first is the fact that I have dual citizenship; I would need to renounce my second citizenship (which would be fine) but there still could be problems getting a security clearance for certain jobs..
View Quote

Now that I'm thinking about it, just before I retired my MP unit got a new MP officer coming off active duty. The guy was born in China, and is now a captain in the military police corps. I don't think you have much to worry about citizenship wise.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Think long and hard about whether you want to be treated like a child for several years before you decide to go enlisted. I would do everything I could to go officer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Think long and hard about whether you want to be treated like a child for several years before you decide to go enlisted. I would do everything I could to go officer.
View Quote

Hmmm...I never felt like I was being treated as a child.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Bachelor Degree, go in as an Officer.  Those two jobs won't be available to you as an "O". However, there's other jobs, like Pilot, Navigator and Airborne Battle Manager that you may be able to get into.

Btw, if you go Enlisted and get either one of those jobs, expect to be traveling 200+ days out of the year. Pay sucks as Enlisted...especially as an E-3.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#26]
IN no way go enlisted if you have a degree.    Wages, benefits, privileges and retirement are way far and above what you will ever see as enlisted.
Become an aviator and fly stuff.  The guys in back do all the work.

There are also technical fields you can enter into.  Like hands on?   Try for a slot in aircraft maintenance.   Lots of different things.  If your electronics kind of guy, go Navy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I look back at my 4 years in USAF as the best of my life. Now my son is wearing my old shoes and Im proud of him. I went down to LackLand to watch him graduate BT and it was such a pleasure being around these young Americans who were so polite, proud, and respectful. Ive spent 30+ years chasing little A-hole gang bangers around the block and its why I love being around our troops from any service. The USAF is a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Considering we're going into a period where the Air Force will be garrisoned, you will be one bored mother.
Do something worthwhile if you are going military and go Navy or Marine Corps.
The Navy and Marines still work and deploy during peace time.  
The first on site in any emergency.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I did 4 years Active Duty in the Air Force and am serving in the Air National Guard. If you have a BD please go Officer. You will benefit sooooo much more if you choose to make a career out of it. Your degree will be hard to utilize finding a job right now but with some years as an Officer and leading to put on a resume will look tremendously better when getting a job.

Being single is a benefit too, being as you can move about and not have to worry about anybody else putting their two cents in on what you should do with your own career.

If I could have a redo I would've joined when I was single and I would've gotten my BD and went Officer. Don't let a sorry recruiter sign you up for enlisted and throw away that degree. You earned it, now let it make you some money.

Best of luck, may you make the best decision that is best for yourself. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me and I will try my best to help in anyway I can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got commissioned as an Officer in the Air Force Reserve after completing OTS in December. It's definitely worth it and I would recommend doing it. Go officer over enlisted and since you're 22 and single... go active over reserve if you can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Check into Navy or Air Force OTS. Don't waste your degree with going enlisted.

If you do end up enlisting, I have two sets of conflicting advice:
- Pick a specialty that transfers directly to the civilian world.
- Pick something awesome that civilians only hear about, and get your graduate degree in something that translates to civilian life.

Navy Officer Job Information Selection Tool

Air Force Officer Jobs

As a former AF aircraft maintainer, I would suggest against being a Maintenance Officer. We were directly responsible for more than one ass chewing that our Captain endured due to our shenanigans.

If you end up deciding to serve in any capacity, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for everyone's input. I am in process of getting my medical records from my doctor, which has taken longer than expected. Once this happens, I will know whether or not a waiver is possible. I will keep this thread updated as I move forward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top