Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2014 11:58:16 PM EDT
Looks like that is where I am headed this summer...

Looking for suggestions on:

housing (on or off post) areas, crime, commute, etc...

Schools (I'll have a 6th grader, 3rd grader and 1st grader)

Hunting/fishing...  Gun laws and CCW

Anything else I should know.....

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
great hunting and fishing, no "machine guns",but sbr's and cans are legal. You can now hunt with a can.  Open carry with no CCW.  CCW requires mental and criminal back ground check, they do recognize a few states but not many.  No class required. GO SEAHAWKS!  If during rush hour expect to wait on the ferry. VIsit Pike Street market (there multiple floors).  About 20 feet past the fish tossing place and across the street is a window that sells Chinese food. The steamed bbq pork buns and the pot stickers are to die for, best ever! Grandma, Grandpa, kids, and there offspring all work there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
DuPont is a nice place to live.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I drove past it a couple times on my way from PDX to Bangor for a gun shoot. Traffic sux. Thats about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I drove past it a couple times on my way from PDX to Bangor for a gun shoot. Traffic sux. Thats about it.
View Quote

Cannot be repeated enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I-5 is pretty special pretty much all the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
When I played army out there a long time ago ('81), I learned one thing:  Those aren't tree stumps, they're anthills.  By the time you figure this out, it's much too late.  Also, don't mess with the anthills.  They will tear you up over the freaking anthills.  Endangered species or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Yelm.  Live there.  Drive isn't terrible and it's pretty quiet.  I loved that place and would live there again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't WA just pass that moronic transfer law?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks

View Quote

Quoted:
Yelm.  Live there.  Drive isn't terrible and it's pretty quiet.  I loved that place and would live there again in a heartbeat.
View Quote

I recommend Roy. It is closer to east gate and will cut about 10 minutes from your commute.

CCW is easy, if you live in thruston county just roll over to the Olympia PD, fill out the application and check our mail in 3 weeks. Open carry is legal, and feasible if you live south of I-5.

The kids in Yelm walk around all the time, they look like a mix of good military kids and grungy meth head offspring.

Dupont is expensive but I think it would have better schools then Yelm.

I, unfortunately, have not gotten to go hunting here yet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
got buddies who live in Dupont. I absolutely wish I'd moved there. the houses can be costly but all they have to do to get home is drive out the south gate and across the bridge. I get to sit in traffic on I5 for HOURS.
Try to stay off the I5 corridor. Lewis is inbetween 2 choke points.
Dupont and Steillicoom are the easiest to get to to the west. Yelm and Lacey are the easiest in the south but they are subject to some blockages. Olympia is really cool if you can live around hippies, but is on the other side of a big I-5 choke point. Tacoma has some really kick ass bars, and some good neighborhoods, as does Puyallup, but those are on the north side of the Tacoma Superdome choke point, which is ALWAYS a slowdown or stop spot when I go home.

Aside from that, Lewis is a really awesome spot. If you like outdoors stuff like hiking, climbing, fishing, there's not too many places better aside from  maybe Carson.
Gun laws in WA are pretty chill. The local tin hat crew is upset that now you have to present the same ID at a gun show as you do at the gun store, and somehow that translates into them taking your guns away and throwing you into a concentration camp full of FEMA CHU's. Whatever. There's no mag cap, AR's abound. Ammo is about a dollar more per box than in North Carolina (not expensive) But good luck getting an elk ticket. CCW is super easy for Military in Pierce county (Dupont, Tacoma)

Quoted:
Open carry is legal, and feasible if you live south of I-5.
View Quote

South of I-5? Like in Mexico?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude, fix your quote. I didn't say that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
got buddies who live in Dupont. I absolutely wish I'd moved there. the houses can be costly but all they have to do to get home is drive out the south gate and across the bridge. I get to sit in traffic on I5 for HOURS.
Dupont and Steillicoom are the easiest to get to to the west. Yelm and Lacey are the easiest in the south but they are subject to some blockages. Olympia is really cool if you can live around hippies, but is on the other side of a big I-5 choke point. Tacoma has some really kick ass bars, and some good neighborhoods, as does Puyallup, but those are on the north side of the Tacoma Superdome choke point, which is ALWAYS a slowdown or stop spot when I go home.

Aside from that, Lewis is a really awesome spot. If you like outdoors stuff like hiking, climbing, fishing, there's not too many places better aside from  maybe Carson.
Gun laws in WA are pretty chill. The local tin hat crew is upset that now you have to present the same ID at a gun show as you do at the gun store, and somehow that translates into them taking your guns away and throwing you into a concentration camp full of FEMA CHU's. Whatever. There's no mag cap, AR's abound. Ammo is about a dollar more per box than in North Carolina (not expensive) But good luck getting an elk ticket. CCW is super easy for Military in Pierce county (Dupont, Tacoma)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Open carry is legal, and feasible if you live south of I-5.

Don't be intentionally obtuse. I know it runs north to south, but it turns east to west above JBLM.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
love it
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

University Place, straight out gate 1, low crime, quiet, little more expensive than other areas but worth it.

UP has the best rated schools of the area

You can put in for your CPL. as soon as you have your address here, just show orders, ID and submit to the check.
Hunting... Elk, Deer, Duck, pheasant, bear, etc. you can hunt deer and bear on base land.
Fishing: steelhead, salmon, trout, bass, Razor Clams, squid... All fish able and fun

The base is slow as shit.

Thanks

View Quote

Base wise I mean McChord... I forgot about Lewis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top