Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2014 11:01:12 AM EDT
to start the fight with VA for a disability rating for my knees.  I want to do this about as much as going through dental surgery. I am hoping that someone will be able to offer some guidance in this process.

When I got out of the IANG in 2004, there was a ton of stuff that the VA wanted to do. Lung tests, meet this person in CE dept, go meet so-n-so in the reps dept. Anyway, one of these reps started a claim for disability for 20 different things and thought one of them will stick. 2 yrs later I got annoyed with it and just ignored it. Now, I no longer live in Iowa, haven't been to a VA since 07, and it brings pain from my knees to do anything on my feet. My knee problems started with a fall in basic at South Carolina on a pine tree root. Anyone else here with a similar injury? How is this process supposed to work? Who & where do I start?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
First off find a local VSO, I'll recommend the DAV (Disabled American Veterans).  Something kinda similar happened to me except my fall was from the back a shit hook, that wasn't quite on the ground.  I waited 20 years before finally getting something done about it, don't wait any longer.  Once you and the VSO get things going DO NOT miss your C&P exams!  Your VSO should be able to guide you through the process, and give you some valuable advice along the way.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First off find a local VSO, I'll recommend the DAV (Disabled American Veterans).  Something kinda similar happened to me except my fall was from the back a shit hook, that wasn't quite on the ground.  I waited 20 years before finally getting something done about it, don't wait any longer.  Once you and the VSO get things going DO NOT miss your C&P exams!  Your VSO should be able to guide you through the process, and give you some valuable advice along the way.
View Quote
Damn good advice!

I had DAV help me each time and they were able to get my rating raised every time. I was maxed out at 70% by the VA until I was approved for Social Security Disability. Within 30 days of being approved for SSD, the VA raised my rating to 100%.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Documentation!  Xrays, MRIs, CAT, what ever you have that shows the damage and how it relates to or was aggravated by mil service is critical.  Basically, if it's not written down it never happened!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top