Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 2:51:41 AM EDT
Started a new job and part of orientation was an introduction and brief work history ect. The job is corrections and I briefly said my age, prior Army MP, where I'm from ect. A guy in our group stands up says "prior army for last decade, 4 years demo then 6 years counter terrorism". During a break I come up to him and start shooting the shit. I say counter terrorism? He goes "yeah special forces." I think huh kinda weird an ex sf dude would be working corrections but maybe that's what he's into. I leave the topic alone and observe him during the course of training. Im in no means the greatest shape anymore but I can keep up with the physical stuff we do in academy. "SF" guy is struggling to do more then 10 push-ups and dropping his legs during flutter kicks ect.

I believe he may have served as he has some of the jargon and knows some info but I suppose with enough research anyone can learn basic mil lingo. A non veteran commented to me after the workout are that he thought special ops guys would be in better shape and at least be able to keep up during our little of sessions.  Being an MP I have very little past experiences and interactions with Group guys what are some questions I can ask him to know for sure if he was prior special operations?

This kind of stuff makes me a little angry I don't pretend to be something I'm not im proud of the time I spent in the army as an mp and don't try to fabricate stories about it to seem like something I'm not.

Tldr: guy is saying he was sf for the last 6 years struggles physically and doesn't appear to me to be SF material. How can I find out for sure?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Facebook is a good start.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never come across anyone who has actually served who lies about being in SF.   I think it is mostly non-vets who come up with these wild stories.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried Facebook and came up cold, I guess it doesn't really matter if he was or not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tried Facebook and came up cold, I guess it doesn't really matter if he was or not.
View Quote
next step, http://www.stolenvalor.com/index.cfm

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You're in an academy?

Shut the fuck up and graduate. Deal with it later. Don't make waves. He will fuck up on his own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]

How to out a poser?
View Quote

Don't worry about setting up a trap, just fucking out him when he's being a weak piece of shit
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're in an academy?

Shut the fuck up and graduate. Deal with it later. Don't make waves. He will fuck up on his own.
View Quote

Listen to the Paratrooper OP
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah don't get me wrong in not going to cause a huge shit storm in academy and we are both employed at the same facility so I'll see him at work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah don't get me wrong in not going to cause a huge shit storm in academy and we are both employed at the same facility so I'll see him at work.
View Quote

All the more reason to let it slide. He will step on his dick, zero doubt.

Sit back and enjoy the free entertainment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Why should he let this slide?  This guy is an obvious liar and would you want to work with him in a corrections environment where you may have to rely on him to save your life?

Probe into his background more and ask what group/ODA etc....he was on, then approach the cadre with his deceit and let them handle it.  I'm pretty sure CO's have to do some kind of integrity test and this turd would fail that pretty quick.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're in an academy?

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're in an academy?

View Quote

This.

Starting a new job, as you are, is not the time to pick a fight. Let it go and let him fuck up on his own.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't said shit I figure the guy will get called on it eventually and look stupid. Im focusing on academy and not on this guy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't said shit I figure the guy will get called on it eventually and look stupid. Im focusing on academy and not on this guy.
View Quote

Thank you for being the rare rookie who actually listens to advice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Get with Don Shipley. His call sign on youtube is Buds131. He's a retired SEAL. He specializes in this type of thing, and given the opportunity he will out the guy and post it on youtube. He does this for fun and entertainment for everyone, besides calling the douchebag out as a stolen valor thief POS..
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Don only does Navy...you could try the "This Aint Hell" Blog
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't worry about it!  There are millions of these guys... and they are everywhere!  Like someone said let it go and graduate first.  This guy is playing hopscotch in a landmine field...it's only a matter of time before it all goes up in his face.  Just hope you are there it see it happen.  You have way more inportant thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
The only reason I would say anything is if you he received some favorable hiring status by claiming he is former SF. Otherwise, for every one poser you bust another 100 come out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Real bug eaters don't talk about it.  He is a farce as you already noted.  Furthermore real bug eaters are way smarter than your average person and I doubt he would be in the job position.  BTW, not knocking a tough job, my daughter's BF is was PG and it paid the rent.  Most bug eaters are way smarter than most of us and you would not know that was their job if out of the environment.

He may have served long enough to get thrown out so he speaks the language.  

Get through school then press the issue.  Never stand for any form of stolen valor.  

I am a USAF retiree.  If some moron tried to claim he used to be a Fighter pilot or even a Crew Chief I would out them in a skinny minute.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Just ask simple questions that you would any other buddy or service member:

What Group/ODA?
What Duty Stations?
What and when for deployments?
Schools?
MOS (prior to 18 series)?

His answers would be pretty obvious whether he BSing or not.

Just because someone is out of shape doesn't mean anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Real bug eaters don't talk about it.  He is a farce as you already noted.  Furthermore real bug eaters are way smarter than your average person and I doubt he would be in the job position.  BTW, not knocking a tough job, my daughter's BF is was PG and it paid the rent.  Most bug eaters are way smarter than most of us and you would not know that was their job if out of the environment.

He may have served long enough to get thrown out so he speaks the language.  

Get through school then press the issue.  Never stand for any form of stolen valor.  

I am a USAF retiree.  If some moron tried to claim he used to be a Fighter pilot or even a Crew Chief I would out them in a skinny minute.
View Quote

Not sure what a bug eater is, but there are plenty of current and former special ops guys that will not shut the fuck up about it.  There are also ex-SF guys who are no longer in shape.  PT has a shelf life if you stop doing it.  

That said; the OP's classmate is probably full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tldr: guy is saying he was sf for the last 6 years struggles physically and doesn't appear to me to be SF material. How can I find out for sure?
View Quote

Ya gotta make the system work for you. Get his name and date of birth and pull his enlisted record brief (ERB) from ARPERSON in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:26:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Dropping the guys name over at professionalsoldiers dot com might help.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep,

Sounds like he will hang himself soon enough

Quoted:
This.

Starting a new job, as you are, is not the time to pick a fight. Let it go and let him fuck up on his own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're in an academy?

This.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I dont ever fist fight with one exception: posers pretending to be military.  I was walking out of a bar and was fucking with a guy, then he said to me, "I spent two tours in Iraq, but I guess you're more american than I am."  I shouted back, "watch who the fuck you're talking to, I was in arghandab fucking river valley" too drunk to realise that a real vet would never say something that fucked up, and would probably be able to pick me out as a vet anyways.  I smoked a cigarette, calmed down, and walked over.  Soon as I asked him what unit he was with, he admitted he was bullshitting.  I saw red, slammed him against the wall, and told him-in a not so kind fashion-what my experiences had been like, and that he was pissing on my fallen brothers' graves.

I don't regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top