User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 11:56:47 PM EDT
Lowes and Home Depot. 10%
Chic fil a
Hooters
IHOP 20%
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't ask for one anywhere. I got one at Hoover Dam because it was offered.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Lowes, because I know they offer it. Other than that, I do not like to ask.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Legion
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
None
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Lowe's but only when it's something big. I am not asking for it over a pack of lightbulbs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Home Depot - 10%

Sea World allows 1 free visit for military families a year (up to a 5 person-family)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't ask for it. I appreciate the sentiment, but that's not why I do my job.

I use Oakley's SI program though mainly because an Oakley rep told me about it, and they're a really solid company in terms of supporting the line troops, and I use the Combat Vets parking spot at Home Depot if it's open.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasnt something like this posted like 2 months ago?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_77/1646235_Asking_for_a_Mil_discount.html
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Disneyland had a sweet deal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Only at Carl Jrs

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Lowes or Home Depot, since those can add up to a lot. Outside of that, I don't really ask.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Anywhere I am at that its offered. Mostly lowes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
None.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Home Depot, lowes, chic fil a.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I did not know I was the only one who was uncomfortable asking for a .mil discount.  I will at Lowe's when my wife is standing there and "reminds" me; otherwise I don't like to ask.  I feel cheap, and like I am asking for an entitlement.  

For large purchases I will suck up my pride.  A nice grill at Lowe's, yep I asked for it, $40 bucks is $40 bucks.

McDonalds offers one if you are into killing yourself eating shitty food.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Only at Home Depot when I built the house a couple of years back, and at Oakley's Standard Issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never asked and never will.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Home Depot, only because everyone that works there knows I'm in the military.

I never ask, and often turn it down.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't ask... It's nobodies Business that I was in the Military... and now I'm not..
I Bet Maj Dick Winters never asked for a discount....
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Screw IHOP. I got a military discount there once. Returned a few months later and simply asked if they would do military discount and the waiter replied we do not do military discounts. I was like are you sure because I got one before. He was like IHOP doesnt do military discounts. Ive never returned to an IHOP since then.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
500 dollars off the best price on a Chrysler product. We used it on my wife's 2014 Jeep Patriot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disneyland had a sweet deal.
View Quote

Update on those, they might only be available through Special Services now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Home Depot for sure. Just saved a bunch of money putting tile in the house. we dont ask, it was offered.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I use the hell out of it at Home Depot and Lowes thanks to owning and updating a new to me house that was built in 1964 and fumble-fuck updated by various contractors.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand (and agree) not asking at a mom-and-pop business, but why wouldn't you take advantage of a discount from a large company?  

What about Glock, for example?  

Wouldn't you encourage your junior folks to take advantage of these discounts?  

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lowes, because I know they offer it. Other than that, I do not like to ask.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently used this one, but didn't pull my card out until we'd finished negotiating. Plus I got a better rate through Honda Financial than what I could get from either USAA or my credit union.

Honda Military Appreciation Offer

$500 offer valid through March 31, 2015 (unless terminated earlier by HFS)

This
offer applies to U.S. Military active-duty and reserve personnel and
their spouses. U.S. Military Retirees are also eligible regardless of
their date of separation from active service. Spouses of U.S. Military
Retirees are eligible within 180 days of their spouses’ separation from
active service. This offer also applies to eligible U.S. Military
veterans and their spouses within 180 days of separation from active
service.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I use it at Lowe's mainly because even if the item is on an extreme sale they still take off 10%. I don't understand people not wanting to ask for a discount that businesses offer?! I proudly serve in the military today and do not feel ashamed one bit, guess it's just a personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know anything about Dick Winters other than watching Band of Brothers.  BoB made it clear Dick Winters was all about taking care of Joe.  This would presumably include their financial affairs.  So, while he may not ask for one, I'd bet he'd encourage his Joes to use any available discounts.  

Quoted:
I don't ask... It's nobodies Business that I was in the Military... and now I'm not..
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about Dick Winters other than watching Band of Brothers.  BoB made it clear Dick Winters was all about taking care of Joe.  This would presumably include their financial affairs.  So, while he may not ask for one, I'd bet he'd encourage his Joes to use any available discounts.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I taught my Joes to do there job and take care of each other, and accomplish the mission and  that nobody owed them a thing...That's why it's called the "Service".
We already have a portion of the country who thinks somebodies owes them something... I'm not one of them... and that 10% you get off... don't fool yourselves into thinking those big stores are taking a hit in gratitude. There not losing any money... Need stuff.. wait for a sale, there's enough of them thru the year to get you your 10%.

That's my take on it, your free to do what you want.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I taught my Joes to do there job and take care of each other, and accomplish the mission and  that nobody owed them a thing...That's why it's called the "Service".
We already have a portion of the country who thinks somebodies owes them something... I'm not one of them... and that 10% you get off... don't fool yourselves into thinking those big stores are taking a hit in gratitude. There not losing any money... Need stuff.. wait for a sale, there's enough of them thru the year to get you your 10%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive never understood the wierdness associated with an established military discount.  If a place has a clearly defined military discount I will use it. I dont go around asking everyone for one, but certain places make no bones about their offer.

Its the same thing as a coupon.  They want your return business as a demographic so they offer a discount.  Same as senior discount, contractor disvounts, etc.  Theres a reason pro-deals exist too, and its not because everyone is super-patriotic.....and they arent just for military, they exist in all forms with vendors selling items applicable to any type of job.  I dont feel ashamed when my wife clips a coupon out of a sale flyer, its the same exact thing.

I regularly use Home Depot/Lowes,  the Glock Blue Label program, S&W military pricing, Leupold military pro-deal, military accounts with brownells, DSG Arms, Rainier Arms, oakley, Trijicon, and im enrolled in Promotive giving me special pro deals for about 300 vendors.  With promotive I have gotten up to 40% off vendors like Saloman, Merrill, Kelty, goal zero, benchmade, etc.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I disagree that it is the same as a coupon... Anyone can use a coupon...and they are available in newspapers, online, flyers in the mail... Hell, buy a local Sunday paper, get a Menard's Bag marked 15% off and fill the bag up and everything in the bag is 15% off...That's better then a standard Mil or Senor Citizens discount...

Most places I know do not actively advertise their Mil discounts (except around Memorial day and Veterans day). It's just a Marketing campaign...pure and simple, which I'm fine with.
The issue I have is that in order to get it, in most places, your going to have to ask for it as their is no way they would know to just give it to you. I just don't go around making a habit of asking if someone has a Military discount when I'm shopping.

As to the Pro deals... well, let be honest... all that shit is overpriced to begin with, they know it, as they are in many cases,selling to the Government...So they set up a program for the Joes (requiring documentation) to give them a little bit better deal. I'm fine with that..The .Mil demo-graph of buyers is small, they make up there difference in the civilian purchases.
and its not like most of us buy a dozen Glocks or a half dozen ACOG's for ourselves...Hell, I've gotten better deals on the EE then a Blue label Glock..

Your choice to do as you see fit...I view it differently, These discounts were not around a generation ago, and yet all those who served,went about there lives just fine with out them...and did not feel a need to have to ask because they knew nobody owed them shit...Thats what I like about that generation... Quiet Professionals that did a job, then moved on with their lives.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I actually resent the fact that you allude to this being a feeling of entitlement.  And the last time I checked, you do have to physically present a coupon and ask for the discount it offers to be applied, the same as with a military ID.  A military discount isn't some hushed offer people roll their eyes at when they wear about.  Senior citizen discounts aren't applied to everyone.  Contractor discounts aren't applied to everyone.  First responder discounts aren't for everyone.

They are ways to get you in the store by making you think you are saving money over their competitors.  Nothing more.

It may be different for you guard guys, but where I live there are 30K+ troops living in this city.  Any business that has a discount has it openly displayed, and most of the time anywhere I go asks me anyway.  Its big business securing military money.

Quoted:

As to the Pro deals... well, let be honest... all that shit is overpriced to begin with, they know it, as they are in many cases,selling to the Government...So they set up a program for the Joes (requiring documentation) to give them a little bit better deal. I'm fine with that..The .Mil demo-graph of buyers is small, they make up there difference in the civilian purchases.
View Quote

Sounds exactly like a military discount to me....requires documentation....applies discount based on service for personal purchases.....?

So you are ok with that but not a home depot discount?

Pro deals are not GSA sales.  They are all technically civilian purchases.  There is no requirement to ride into battle with anything you purchase.  Being that a lot of them are for stuff like car parts and civilian clothing, im not really seeing how that is an issue.

When you walk into the post MWR and ask for tickets to an amusement park at a reduced rate is it somehow better than buying them at the gate at a discount with your military ID?  The only difference is the location in which you asked for the discount.  Or is MWR something Dick Winters wouldn't support either?

Its all the same, the only difference is one you fabricated yourself to give yourself the illusion of moral superiority.

Quoted:
and its not like most of us buy a dozen Glocks or a half dozen ACOG's for ourselves...Hell, I've gotten better deals on the EE then a Blue label .
View Quote

Ive bought 5 over the years,  You found a brand new Glock with 3 mags on the EE for less than $399?   Good for you, bet you couldn't do it twice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#34]
If it's not a sense of entitlement, then what is it?? Why should anyone in the Military get a discount on anything? What makes us so much  more special then everyone else? Why isn't the standard sales and standard discounts that are offered at the usual intervals to the common American Citizen good enough? Coupons are something the store already offered, there is no asking for the discount on the coupon, the store has already spelled it out in the coupon, you simply hand it to them and get the discount.

Unlike a Mil discount where you have to ask, "Excuse me, do you offer a Discount for the Military?" and wait to see if they do or do not, and then if they ask for proof, you have to dig out a ID and show it to them.  Hell, you have guys running around in Surplus uniforms posing.. for what... $.35 off a cup of Starbucks!!!

Funny, as a kid growing up, I never heard my Dad once ask for a Mil Discount for his WW2 service....Us four kids managed to live a pretty comfortable life and he survived not getting $75 off a pair of Oakley's.

You and I are just not going to agree to disagree on  this...I'm fine with that. No Moral Superiority, just how I feel on it..
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If it's not a sense of entitlement, then what is it??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If it's not a sense of entitlement, then what is it??

It's a coupon.  A method of marketing.  You have yet to explain to me how the two are different.  If I pull out a 10% coupon at Lowes or my military ID it's the same exact thing.  A coupon can be based on time (newspaper) or target demographic (mil, LEO, Seniors, etc)

Why should seniors get discounted rates at IHOP?  Are they more special?  No....they get it because the vendor chose to market to that demographic and offered the discount.  And as such there are a shitload of seniors at IHOP.  You are confusing capitalism with social justice.

Again, how are discounted MWR tickets any different?  Is the simple fact that you don't have to ask for the discount when buying them on post the key variable here?  It's not like the Army buys them down, they are given to MWR at that rate by the companies.  Should soldiers not buy them on principle and pay full rate at the gate?

Is my military account at DSG arms for online purchases any different from getting 10% at home depot?

Quoted:
Why should anyone in the Military get a discount on anything? What makes us so much  more special then everyone else? Why isn't the standard sales and standard discounts that are offered at the usual intervals to the common American Citizen good enough?

Why do we not pay tax on post?  Why are our gas prices averaged out lower than competitors off post?  Why do we get to go to a special line at the DMV?  Why do we get housing allowance and COLA?  Why do I get free car registration?

Your argument could apply to quite a bit of things, and be equally as inapplicable.

Quoted:
Funny, as a kid growing up, I never heard my Dad once ask for a Mil Discount for his WW2 service....Us four kids managed to live a pretty comfortable life and he survived not getting $75 off a pair of Oakley's.

It's pretty easy to take the high road when it didn't exist then at all back then.

Quoted:
You and I are just not going to agree to disagree on  this...I'm fine with that. No Moral Superiority, just how I feel on it..

With one difference.  I specifically answer the questions you pose while you choose not to.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

None
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Verizon
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#38]
First words out of my wife's mouth, everywhere she shops.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll use it at Lowes/Home Depot, otherwise I don't bother unless they specifically ask me if I'm military.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Only at Home Despot on a regular basis, makes up for all the times, the stuff that "Oh yeah will work, I'm sure or you can bring it back." didn't work.  I don't mind going back when it was my fuck-up (2-3 times a large project) but they get to pay for me believing them.  Which I don't do too very often anymore.

That and the job it did on the springs on the truck when they loaded a doubled amount of mortar, concrete blocks and re-bar in my truck while I was paying.  Hell one load was overweight, I'm surprised the tires didn't blow.  ("Are you still waiting?? Here Juan, go get this order NOW, and put it in his truck over there."  while Jose was getting the order and getting it ready to put on the truck, hence the double load.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top