Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 9:07:43 PM EDT
82nd Signal Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division '87-90 here....I'm looking for some help in finding a book for one of my first civilian bosses who is now retired.  He is a Silver and Bronze Star recipient that fought in the Battle for Saigon during the Tet Offensive in 1968 as an MP, specifically involved in the Battle for BOQ3.  He was in a book written by Keith William Nolan of essentially the same name, "Battle for Saigon, Tet 1968".  His platoon leader at the time, also a SS recipient, Lt Gerald Waltman was evac'd due to injuries.  I found Waltman through the author and brought him to my old boss' retirement.  First time they had seen each other since 1968....good shit.

Anyway, my old boss and I are still good friends and he is looking for a specific book:  Unsung Heroes, Saving Saigon, written by retired BG Albin Irzyk.

I have searched high and low and the best I can seem to find is a copy on Amazon........for over $900.

I don't know if it is rare, out of print, only ran limited copies, was never released, or what, but he really wants that book, and I would really like to find a copy for him.  Any ideas would be great.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

82nd Signal Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division '87-90 here....I'm looking for some help in finding a book for one of my first civilian bosses who is now retired.  He is a Silver and Bronze Star recipient that fought in the Battle for Saigon during the Tet Offensive in 1968 as an MP, specifically involved in the Battle for BOQ3.  He was in a book written by Keith William Nolan of essentially the same name, "Battle for Saigon, Tet 1968".  His platoon leader at the time, also a SS recipient, Lt Gerald Waltman was evac'd due to injuries.  I found Waltman through the author and brought him to my old boss' retirement.  First time they had seen each other since 1968....good shit.

Anyway, my old boss and I are still good friends and he is looking for a specific book:  Unsung Heroes, Saving Saigon, written by retired BG Albin Irzyk.

I have searched high and low and the best I can seem to find is a copy on Amazon........for over $900.

I don't know if it is rare, out of print, only ran limited copies, was never released, or what, but he really wants that book, and I would really like to find a copy for him.  Any ideas would be great.

View Quote

I usually use this site when
looking for out of print books, but the price you found at Amazon looks
to be the cheapest. I'm guessing all of the above for the reasons that it's so expensive.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I checked back here a few times and saw few responses, but there is a happy ending to this story.

After talking to the MPRA museum curator, executive director, historian, and anyone else I could think of with no success, my old boss contacted the president of the 716th Association.  He suggested that my boss contact the author, BG (RET) Irzyk.  My boss asked if he was even still alive and guessed his age now in the mid 90's.  The association president replied, "well, I haven't heard he's dead".  The president of the association had his address and gave it to my boss.

My boss wrote a short letter to BG Irzyk and the following week called me, very excited.  He had gotten a package in the mail.  Inside, were two autographed hardback copies of the book, along with a three page letter written on general's stationary.  Gen Irzyk is 97 years old, and in the beginning of the letter wrote that as soon has he had seen the return address on the letter, he knew who it was.  There is an entire chapter dedicated to the Battle of BOQ3, and outlines the actions that earned my boss his Silver Star.  Quite impressive.

.....just for any old veteran who would get a kick out of that.

And thanks for that suggestion.  Site bookmarked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top