Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 11:47:02 AM EDT
I got this from a family member and would like to know a bit about it. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance..

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks to be an occupation uniform for a Private in the 1st Infantry Division from the 5th Field Artillery.  

The pants looks to be the type seen in 1945 and later.  If you look inside on the backside of the front pocket flaps it should have a tag.  The shirt may have a tag at the bottom on the left side as you look at it.

The Ike jacket is a WWII version with adjustable cuffs and has a WWII Victory ribbon (multi-colored) and a WWII Occupation ribbon.  I am guessing that the 5th FA DI's are probably German made.  If you look inside the inside pocket you sjould again find a manufacturer tag.

The overseas cap is also badged for the 5th FA and is piped in red to denote artillery.

I have a soft spot for occupation Ikes from the 1st ID.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you so much for the info. Does any of the items have any value? Are these uniforms common?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
They all have value and they are still quite common to find.  $50-75 for what you have there would be ballpark. I think I paid about $50 each for the two 1st ID occupation Ikes I have within the past year.  One was a an Ike pants and overseas cap but the big part was because the patches and ribbon bars were German made.  But as it may have belonged to a family member of yours I'd be inclined to hold onto it.  However if you do wish to part ways with it I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget the hash marks!  Each denotes 6 mos o/s svc.  Are those local made as well?  OP's got a pic of a standard issue one but these are sweet bullion ones!

Cool old seabag too!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The unit is 5th field artillery, as mentioned above

They are the oldest continually serving unit on active duty in the army,

The crest is that of the Hamilton family, as Alexander Hamilton was a commander of the 5th during the revolution

The 1st battalion 5th fa is currently assigned to 1st BDE 1st Id at fort Riley kansas

I'm pretty sure they would love to have that jacket for the regimental history display

I served in 1/5 fa for 3 years, deploying with them once,
That's also where I was promoted to sgt and met my wife
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
That jacket is interesting but there are a few issues with it. The ribbons are the WWII victory and occupation ribbons. That plus the E-2 rank makes me think the Soldier in question was assigned to their unit in the closing days of WWII. The fourragere is being worn on the wrong shoulder, and it's being worn as a personal not a unit award. For that fourragere to be a personal award the Soldier would have to gave been with their unit during the Normandy campaign. If they were then the ribbons need to be updated. Also the overseas service stripes are on the wrong side and there are no hash marks. Does anyone in your family have any info on this relitave,  or is there any paperwork?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top