Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 9:17:58 AM EDT
Few things bring a tear to my eye but the thought that men who served our country after they have passed being stuffed away because no family, no town, no state or even our Government not placing these men to rest after they passed really makes me upset! It was nice to see that Michigan Funeral Directors Association from Wayne and Oakland Counties, The Jewish Fund, Missing in America Project and volunteers were willing to give these men the respect they earned! This should not happen here in America! I'm sure if more people know about this we would not have Vets being left in coolers for 3 years as I'm sure there are MANY companies out there and MANY people out there that would be willing to donate time and or money to make sure our Vets who pass away get the send off they earned and get it in a timely matter!

Remains of 13 military veterans left unclaimed in a Detroit morgue -- including men who served in Vietnam -- will be buried with full military honors Thursday in a Veterans Administration national cemetery.

The bodies are the last of about 200 that were unclaimed and being held by the Wayne County medical examiner's office. The civilian burials were completed last month.

The 13 veterans, who will be buried in caskets, make up the largest group of unclaimed or homeless service members to be laid to rest at the Great Lakes National Cemetery in Oakland County's Holly Township, cemetery director Roy Luera told The Oakland Press.

All of the men died within the past three years, but their remains were left unclaimed at the county coroner's office, Fred Salanti, president of Missing in America Project, told FoxNews.com. Their service dates go back as far as the mid-1950s, according to the newspaper. At least one veteran served in the Korean War.

The veterans, seven of whom served in Vietnam, will be buried beginning at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, following a two-hour, 13-hearse procession from the morgue. State police will accompany the procession to Great Lakes National Cemetery in Oakland County's Holly Township.

"These men served our country honorably and deserve to be laid to rest in the same manner," said David Techner, funeral director of the Ira Kaufman Chapel in Southfield and a member of the coalition responsible for the burials.

The coalition includes the Michigan Funeral Directors Association from Wayne and Oakland Counties, The Jewish Fund, Missing in America Project and volunteers.

Funeral arrangements were coordinated by the Missing in America Project, which also led efforts to identify and verify the military service record of each deceased veteran. The organization was founded in 2007 with the goal of locating, identifying and interring the unclaimed remains of U.S. veterans.

Some of the nearly 200 bodies went unclaimed for as much as three years before they were buried. The coalition stepped in when Wayne County was unable to bear the cost.

The board of The Jewish Fund, which supports community programs and services to help at-risk people improve their health, approved a grant of up to $60,000 in May to purchase caskets. The Detroit archdiocese contributed more than $400,000 for burial services and maintenance.
View Quote
 Link

Here is the list of the 13 veterans who were buried.

Wesley Brown: PV1, U.S. Army, Vietnam.
Stanley Reginald Bryson: SP4, U.S. Army.
Gerald Nicholas Cunningham: BM3, U.S. Navy, Korea.
Roland Burke Dukes: Sgt., U.S. Marine Corps, Vietnam.
Kenneth Clifford Fletcher: PV1, U.S. Army, Vietnam.
Anthony Joseph Gilsenan: SP5, U.S. Army, Vietnam.
Eddie Gordon, Jr.: SP4, U.S. Army.
Marco Johnson: PV2, U.S. Army.
Harold Deacon Lee: SR, Navy, Vietnam.
Alan Lohr: PVT, U.S. Army, Vietnam.
Dean Lee Schulte: PVT, U.S. Army, Vietnam.
Fred Smith: PFC, US Army.
Robert Lee Weatherspoon: U.S. Air Force.

Let us never forget the ones who served our country be it in life or in there death!

Sorry for any spelling or grammar just got off of a 14 hour shift but wanted this to be known!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Rest in Peace.

I was privileged to participate in one these ceremonies back in 2011. Some of the remains of the guys we carried were WW1 veterans. I'm glad to see that this project has taken hold and gotten it down to three years instead of decades.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ret in Peace.

I was privileged to participate in one these ceremonies back in 2011. Some of the remains of the guys we carried were WW1 veterans. I'm glad to see that this project has taken hold and gotten it down to three years instead of decades.
View Quote

WOW that is wrong! You would think some of these big companies that always talk up Vet's would help out! Wish there was more I could do if I know how to go about it I could see a lot of the companies just on this site who would donate to this cause.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
With the group that we laid to rest a lot of these guys were widowers with no remaining heirs locally. So their extended family didn't know they had past and time went on and they were forgotten and were left in morgues and funeral homes until the project found them.

Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top