Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 4:53:11 PM EDT
My wife's Stepdad passed away a couple of years ago. He was a SMSGT for the Air Force Reserve 439th AMXS and his length of service was 33 years. He primarily worked on C5s and has awards medals and plaques from Desert Storm, Vietnam, Southwest Asia and more. There isn't anyone else left in the family worthy of passing these on to. There is one framed piece with pencil drawings of aircraft numbered and signed by the artist. All of the items, four in total, have the Hero's name prominently displayed. We are downsizing and are trying to find away to respectfully pass these items on. Your suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a local or state Military museum.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep them, they must be worth something if they were passed to you. They're someone's legacy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If no one in your family wants them (?) I would contact the 439th Airlift Wing historian at Westover ARB at (413)557-2075.  Perhaps they could display them somewhere in the maintenance squadron building to honor his service.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If no one in your family wants them (?) I would contact the 439th Airlift Wing historian at Westover ARB at (413)557-2075.  Perhaps they could display them somewhere in the maintenance squadron building to honor his service.
View Quote

Thank you all for the replies.

afe7ret, great idea! The two in the family that these items should be passed onto are dysfunctional and would probably sell them or what not. I'll pass your advice onto my wife. We both feel they should be kept alive as a legacy to his service but we are selling our house and downsizing, preparing to eventually move to FL to an even smaller home and don't want to see this history disappear. Many thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of which have crate loads of this stuff in storage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
So, bottom line, is all this worthless except to the families involved?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, bottom line, is all this worthless except to the families involved?
View Quote

Pretty much.  You have to realize there are literally millions of these things floating around.  I did a display for dad's WW2 stuff but I can't imagine anyone else having the slightest interest in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top