Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 8:40:31 AM EDT
I watched this documentary 'Restrepo' the other day on Netflix (a really cool and interesting show) and they had these tribe/village leaders on and like half of them had bright red beards? Why? They were just old guys running around with dyed red beards, red is the only color I noticed btw. I was just wondering what it was about. Thanks for answering.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1132647_Restrepo___red_beards.html

It is henna.  Its religious thing.

VR,
Andrew
DYEGB
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
It's hard to get a straight answer but tradition, because Muhammad did, and/or because they don't want their otherwise grey beard to make them look old.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Mohammad was a ginger.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is the real explanation.

A) Moooo-hamed was a Ginger according to legend.

B) However, those who have made the Hajj (all devout Muslims are required to pilgrimage at least once in their life) to Mecca are allowed to dye their beards as a status symbol.

C) Red beards have a 100% correlation with being boy rapists interestingly enough.

Tidbit: For hundreds and thousands of years before Islam was invented, Jews and Christians used to face the direction of Jerusalem to pray. The muslims simply expropriated this Jewish/Chrisitian tradition and face Mecca.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the real explanation.

A) Moooo-hamed was a Ginger according to legend.

B) However, those who have made the Hajj (all devout Muslims are required to pilgrimage at least once in their life) to Mecca are allowed to dye their beards as a status symbol.

C) Red beards have a 100% correlation with being boy rapists interestingly enough.

Tidbit: For hundreds and thousands of years before Islam was invented, Jews and Christians used to face the direction of Jerusalem to pray. The muslims simply expropriated this Jewish/Chrisitian tradition and face Mecca.

View Quote

A)  Maybe.

B)  Possible but not strictly followed.

C)  Not so much.

I'll ask one of 'em tomorrow...answers vary based on why that particular guy is doing it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh so it's a religious/status thing. And killerb6, what do you mean you'll ask them tomorrow? Are you over there right now? Will you tell them that a white guy in Oklahoma wants to know why they're trying to be emo?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh so it's a religious/status thing. And killerb6, what do you mean you'll ask them tomorrow? Are you over there right now? Will you tell them that a white guy in Oklahoma wants to know why they're trying to be emo?
View Quote

Yes, yes, yes...and YES!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, yes, yes...and YES!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes, yes...and YES!

Whoa, I don't know why that surprised me I wasn't really expecting to talk to someone who's actually there. The internet is a very powerful thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Whoa, I don't know why that surprised me I wasn't really expecting to talk to someone who's actually there. The internet is a very powerful thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes, yes...and YES!

Give me another day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol ok.  How are you talking to them if you don't mind me asking. Like are you walking around in a village in battle rattle, at base doing something or what? Again if you don't mind me asking. (Please excuse my ignorance)
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told that there is a story, in the Hadith, that some followers came to Mohammed and asked if it would be okay to dye their beards, Mohammed said go ahead and knock yourself out, but don't use black dye because that is what the fucking infidels and heathen Romans do.

As an aside there are MANY natural red heads in eastern Afghanistan, especially in the old mountain tribes.  Lots of the kohistanis, nuristanis and pashai-i have red hair and green eyes.

Even the Pashtun look like Europeans and consider themselves white, especially in the east.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem with asking (an Afghan) a question like this is his answer will depend on his background/culture.

I didn't broach the emo subject with the guy I talked to today, but he said a) Muhammad had red hair and b) it is now tradition.

I asked about young, old, covering up the gray and the answer was just tradition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top