Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 6:14:19 PM EDT
Little background - I'm 31, wife of 8 years and two high-functioning autistic boys. I've been working in retail management for 9 of the past 11 years and landscaping for the other two, a few years back. I'm miserable in my work and feel that I'm wasting it all away. I'm good at it, and I've been prepping for my next level of management for some time, but I recently told my boss that I am no longer pushing to advance in a career path that I really don't care for and truthfully plan to leave eventually. He understands and I'm just continuing to do great work for him in my current capacity, but if I change my mind, the door is still open. I hate myself for doing this for 10 years, and another 10 years would be unforgivable.

Anyway, after careful consideration and talking it over with the family, I want to make a career in The Air Force. I've been looking at going back to school for something in the aeronautical industry, as I don't have more than a homeschooling HS education, but the prospect of doing retail to support the family for another 4+ years while I go to school and then hoping I can get a job in a field that I love, is an imposing and unlikely proposition.
Regardless, I've always had the "I should have joined back when I was young" mentality, and this seems like it is something that could work and fulfill to some degree, two of my big dreams. I don't want 4 years, I want a career that I love and can feel proud of.

So with no college credits to speak of, but a passion for the military and anything that flies, a brain that everyone says is brilliant and 10 years of leadership/management experience under my belt..... is this a good plan?

I have no idea what kind of MOSs I'd be looking at, but honestly I need to be there for my wife and kids as much as a military job will permit. I'm not looking to go overseas, and would need my work to be domestic. If my boys weren't special needs, it would be a much different story, but it is what it is at this point.... Is this plausible?

Any Air Force members or recruiters that can give me some feedback? I'm looking for some realistic expectations, and haven't spoken with a recruiter yet, as I've been warned that I should probably only believe ~1/3 of what they feed me. Some honesty from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm prior AF, got out in 2008. The short answer is don't do anything until you have a guaranteed job. While the Air Force (typically) offers the best lifestyle you cannot control or predict where you'll be stationed. Also, the personnel needs of the (insert branch name here) will always supersede your personal needs or wants on location.

I'm happy to answer any questions. Feel free to IM me anytime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Also with your disabled children assignments will be more complicated. Still doable but their required services will have to coordinated and approved with the installation EFMP rep
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Not Air Force ... Army a very long time ago.

You're biting off a very big chunk there ...be damned sure you will be able to chew it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not Air Force ... Army a very long time ago.

You're biting off a very big chunk there ...be damned sure you will be able to chew it.
View Quote

Good point. From the sound of it OP is pipe dreaming it. That time between MEPS and retirement is very long.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You're too old to go active duty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You wont be happy as a 31yr old E-1. I would fucking hang myself before being a middle aged private.

Invest in some skills or tech training. The military is great, but you missed it. Move on in a way thats best for your family.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a big commitment starting at the bottom of the totem pole at a late age with a family (that likely has a lot of demands on your time now already). Here are some things to consider:

Your peers will be between 18-25ish for your first few 4+ years in the AF.

You'll come in as an E1 or E2 (if the AF allows it with completion of some classes, a passing PT score, and providing a referral enlistment- the Army has that and it's worth one promotion).

Promotions are a little more difficult in the AF than the Army; but don't expect to be promoted just because of your experiences in management. I'm guessing the AF has mandatory time in service and time in grade requirements as does the Army.

Your sons will be a limiting factor only in that any post you are assigned to must have services available to assist them. Not all posts may have what they need.

You have absolutely no say in staying CONUS (USA) or OCONUS (worldwide with AK/HI); and in fact that's an obtuse statement for you to make. As a military member it's part of your commitment to go where you are needed to serve.

By saying you want to do all this on your own terms tells me you don't truly understand what's all involved with a career in the Military. This is by no means AF specific either, it can apply to all branches of the Military. I'm an Army Recruiter and my last day was today. I've done this for four years so I'll tell it to you straight, that's why you're here and all. PM if you'd like any other answers. Best of luck and do your research.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
None of the advice everyone is giving you even matters.  You are too old to join the Air Force.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Having absolutely no say in your assignments is correct. Although you have no say, OCONUS has very limited support for family members with developmental disabilities and may force you into very limited assignment opportunities. This may indirectly stagnate your already late-started career or you may have to go unaccompanied OCONUS to get the experience/position you need to remain competitive for promotion.

here it says max age is 39. Is that information no longer correct?
Army guy here
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Having absolutely no say in your assignments is correct. Although you have no say, OCONUS has very limited support for family members with developmental disabilities and may force you into very limited assignment opportunities. This may indirectly stagnate your already late-started career or you may have to go unaccompanied OCONUS to get the experience/position you need to remain competitive for promotion.

Army guy here
View Quote

AFRSI 36-2001 states 27 is the max age for enlistment.  Air Guard is higher, I'm not sure what it is though.  I'm not a recruiter, so there may be some sort of waiver currently in effect, but with the drawdown, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

AFRSI 36-2001 states 27 is the max age for enlistment.  Air Guard is higher, I'm not sure what it is though.  I'm not a recruiter, so there may be some sort of waiver currently in effect, but with the drawdown, I doubt it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Army guy here

so this tweet is no longer valid as well?
https://twitter.com/usairforce/status/481935313494085632
Is there any chance they changed the policy recently and haven't updated the instruction?
I am not trying to be an ass but am currently stationed at a base with a lot of brand new AF members and I remember them mentioning this a few months ago
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for your replies. It certainly has given me some stuff to think about.

According to the Air Force recruiting site, you can join until you are 39y/o, unless I am reading that wrong.

My boy's needs are pretty basic and something that any public school in our area is capable of fulfilling. They work on the regular school curriculum, but they also work the with Spec. Ed. teachers in the school on certain things . We see a behavioral therapist through the doc office once a month for my oldest (7y/o), but that's the extent of their special treatment. Like I said, any regular public school has the ability to fulfill their needs, and I guess I would expect that that would be something that base schools would also have.

I am a retail manager.... 75% of the people I work with everyday and have for 10 years, are 17-25. I've had my fair share of bosses that were younger than me (my direct manager right now is 23), and it's a non-issue. I understand that the hierarchy is not the same, but I've started at the bottom and I'm not afraid to do it again if it was the right thing. I'm also about the youngest 31y/o you'll ever meet, definitely not a middle-age 31y/o, if that matters.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm expecting to call all/many of the shots when it comes to location and all of that, but my biggest concern is really just not being absent from my kids for a year at a time. I understand that many make that sacrifice, and I have nothing but respect for that, I just know that would be a deal-breaker for my family.

CONUS isn't also a deal breaker, it's just that I am looking for something that my family could travel with me. Do these jobs exist, and would I have an opportunity to know/research the options before I sign on the dotted line?

All of the things you guys are bringing up are why I am asking and trying to get a better picture from those who have been/are there than a recruiter who may just want me to sign my name. Those who know me, have all been encouraging me toward it, but like it was mentioned, if I'm pipe-dreaming this and would need to be ready for the "just kidding, you're going to Afghanistan regardless of what you signed up to do", I would need to take all of that into great consideration.

I don't expect the Air Force to cater to my terms, I just want to know if my need to be a regular presence in my family is basically something that just won't work across the board, and there aren't MOSs that would enable that.

Thanks again, guys.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Any disability that requires an IEP or medical treatment above a pediatrician (or GP for adults) will require you to be enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program. All assignments are run through the chain of command and must be approved by the Regional Medical center EFMP office and the base EFMP rep. If either says that required services are not available (nonexistent or full) you can be turned down for an accompanied tour or your assignment changed.
One of my duty assignments, CONUS, was turned down due to services being unavailable. My assignments guy basically had to jump through his ass to get me a different assignment.
I am Army, so my experience may be different but all the AF personnel that I ran into (average service members, not PJ, CTAC, etc) all served deployed for 3-7 months, not the 12-15 the Army was doing at the time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
OP I commend you for wanting to serve. Your best bet is to actually talk to a recruiter and see what the current scoop is.  I hope you are in shape as training will be hard on an older guy.  As far as assignments...the military is small and we are committed everywhere..you will go overseas at some point.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at the pay charts for E-1 through E-4 and compare that with what you make now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look at the pay charts for E-1 through E-4 and compare that with what you make now.
View Quote

But make sure to add BAH, BAS, Medical Coverage, etc. as well. But really go talk to a Recruiter. Like I've said before in here; I've been an Army Recruiter for 47months (just finished!!!); I'll be more than happy to answer a question or fact check for you concerning Army questions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you. I will be seeking out a recruiter this week, asking a lot of questions and seeing what they have to say.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I also doubt your ability to join, due to age and dependants.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
As I have done my 4 and got out many, many years ago (1994) USAF. Talk to a recruiter and ask away. First and foremost the age requirements. Secondly the military has no want to put your desires in front of the mission. Meaning you go where they need you. With a family already in place that is one strike against you, with special needs kids thats 2.  Are you prepared to get sent to Korea for 2 years and no family accompanyment? Perhaps another war?  The Military has many bases with no family, Many more with, but plan for the worst and pray for the best type thing. I'm not trying to scare you out of this move just trying to keep it realistic. The air force is a very good place to join and make a career out of. Wish I had stated in and finished my 20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top