Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 11:01:41 AM EDT
I recently sent away a request to NPRC for my service records.  I got a letter back stating my service record does not contain a copy of my 214, Report of Separation.  They did send me 2 certified copies of a Certification of Military Service which lists my dates and rank at separation.  The letter also said it could be used for all official purposes.

I still have one copy of my 214 but wanted to have extra official copies should something happen.  I also did have a copy saved at a county court house many years ago so I guess I could contact them if I wanted copies?  I'm just curious why I would get a letter back stating my service record does not contain a copy of it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Send them a copy of the 214 in your possession?

That is kinda weird.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a number I can call, guess I should do that as well.

I did find some information that NPRC had a fire at some point and records were destroyed?  I guess if that is true that perhaps that is why they cannot find a copy of the 214 itself.  From what I can tell the certificate itself (na form 13038) is enough for all benefits and such.  It just isn't as detailed with awards, duty stations, dates, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did find some information that NPRC had a fire at some point and records were destroyed?  I guess if that is true that perhaps that is why they cannot find a copy of the 214 itself.  From what I can tell the certificate itself (na form 13038) is enough for all benefits and such.  It just isn't as detailed with awards, duty stations, dates, etc.
View Quote

If you need a copy with all of your duty stations and military history, you need to call NPRC at 1-314-801-0800 and ask them to mail, fax, or email you a Standard Form 180. It takes about 3 months after you fax or mail the completed and signed form back to get your records, but it will have your complete service record.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you need a copy with all of your duty stations and military history, you need to call NPRC at 1-314-801-0800 and ask them to mail, fax, or email you a Standard Form 180. It takes about 3 months after you fax or mail the completed and signed form back to get your records, but it will have your complete service record.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like that is what he did; doing it online is faster and less hassle. eVetrecs

The fire was in 1973 and according to wiki:
the losses to Federal military records collection included:
80% loss to records of U.S. Army personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960[2]
75% loss to records of U.S. Air Force personnel discharged September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964, with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.[2]
Some U.S. Army Reserve personnel who performed their initial active duty for training in the late 1950s but who received final discharge as late as 1964.

May apply to you, but not likely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for reminding me to find my DD214, so I can get me an awesome tank icon, but seriously I need it for other reasons too. But I can't find it and been searching for quite a bit now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for reminding me to find my DD214, so I can get me an awesome tank icon, but seriously I need it for other reasons too. But I can't find it and been searching for quite a bit now.
View Quote

The CD from BUPERS is utterly useless on a Mac.  "Recommended for Internet Explorer 5.5"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top