Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2014 6:38:16 AM EDT
This thing was found near some tank ranges.  It's very light, might be aluminum.  If that's the case, there's no telling how old it is or what type of ranges were in the area at the time, since it wouldn't have rusted.  The base is still pretty flat, and measures about 75mm across.

More pics here:http://imgur.com/a/4hzB9

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a fuse from a 105/155 round or similar.  The threads on the bottom and size relative to your hand are what I base that on.  Likely run over multiple times.

ETA, Probably some sort of cap or lifting lug
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
in before someone completely misidentifies it as a DU APFSDS round.

for the record:
if it's light weight and a lump (as opposed to surprisingly heavy), there's not a chance in hell it's DU.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a fuse from a 105/155 round or similar.  The threads on the bottom and size relative to your hand are what I base that on.  Likely run over multiple times.

ETA, Probably some sort of cap or lifting lug
View Quote

You mean one of these things?  It seems like a solid mass.  I don't see any seams or cracks that would indicate otherwise.  The way it's shaped, it looks like it hit something hard at high velocity, because there's a tip around which it's mushroomed.  Does a fuse impact the target like a bullet, or does it detonate before impact?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
what's left of an aluminum training heat round 120mm smoothbore?????

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top