Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:49:06 PM EDT
I got out four years ago. I was cleaning my bonus room and found about five sets of ACUs,  polypros, etc. I will never use this stuff. Anyone know the best way to get rid of these?  I'm tempted to just give then to an army mach store
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Save a set then use the rest for changing oil, cutting grass, etc.  I only say save a set, because I would have loved to have had a set of my grandfathers' uniforms from WWII.  They probably thought they were junk at the time too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
This.  I swore into the Army wearing my Grandfather's 2nd WW Pea Coat w/ my stripes on it.  Save a set.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I got rid of Everything except the socks, Low Quarters, one Baseball Hat, One Beret, One set of OD Greens, the Field Jacket and its liner.  Okay and the belts, too.  Basically I was out and didn't need anything any longer.  But I kept One Full Uniform because I can prove that I Served in seconds.

The socks eventually wore out, I wore my Paratrooper boots under my gown during my College Graduation Ceremony, I still occasionally wear my Highly Shined Low Quarters when I'm at some fancy Event, and I wear my barely fitting Field Jacket when Veterans Day comes around and I'm in line for my Free Meals.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
every pair of pants but one turned into shorts, some of the t-shirts kept for dirty jobs, tops stuffed in duffle bags in the garage, TA50 in all kinds of weird places
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep one set with your stuff on it for old time's sake.
Give the polypros to a homeless shelter or Goodwill (unless they're waffle tops and in that case you're mad for throwing them out)
as for the uniforms, man, they're ACU's. Put them where that pattern belongs:

or if you want a more deployed feel toss em in a burn pit
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of dying mine darker green once we swap over.  Think deer will notice?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I donated mine after a break in service to my local ROTC, they were happy to have them, funding issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the thermals and gloves, you can always use them later.

Take the cleanest pair of ACU's and hang them up in a corner of your closet.  You never know when nostalgia will strike.

Take the nastiest pair of ACU's and save them for yard work, painting, etc.

Take everything else to a surplus store and buy beer with the proceeds.  The local store gave me $40 for a pair of lightly worn black leather (pre-9/11) boots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Save 1 set, then craigslist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.militaryuniformexchange.com/exchange/
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got Rubbermaid bins full of old stuff

Keep it if you can't figure out what to do with it right away

If you know someone who's still in, maybe they can use it

Maybe you have a young relative or neighbor who would love to inherit what they might see as some cool military stuff
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

as for the uniforms, man, they're ACU's. Put them where that pattern belongs:

http://www.sheilazellerinteriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Vintage-Riveted-Trash-Can.jpg

View Quote

Why would I put them in the alarm clock?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Keep the thermals and gloves, you can always use them later.

Take the cleanest pair of ACU's and hang them up in a corner of your closet.  You never know when nostalgia will strike.

Take the nastiest pair of ACU's and save them for yard work, painting, etc.

Take everything else to a surplus store and buy beer with the proceeds.  The local store gave me $40 for a pair of lightly worn black leather (pre-9/11) boots.
View Quote

Pre-Y2K, I traded a bunch of my old woodlands and boots to a local surplus store, and ended up with a case of USGI 15rd M1 carbine mags (NIW) and a broken carbine bayonet that I wanted, to make a QD picatinny rail light mount for my M1 carbine
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the old ACU's for working on the truck/car/motorcycle and the BDU's for paintball. I'm keeping a full operational set though for Lord knows what.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm out on 29 September. I have them all sitting next to a steel trashcan and a bottle of lighter fluid.
Burn baby burn.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Save a set then use the rest for changing oil, cutting grass, etc.  I only say save a set, because I would have loved to have had a set of my grandfathers' uniforms from WWII.  They probably thought they were junk at the time too.
View Quote

My grandmother threw out most of Dad's WW2 Navy uniforms.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  My grandmother threw out most of Dad's WW2 Navy uniforms.
View Quote

I swore into the National Guard wearing my blues & grand da's 2nd WW pea coat w/ my stripes on it.  I got some very strange looks @ MEPS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was thinking of dying mine darker green once we swap over.  Think deer will notice?
View Quote

Worth a try.
I still use my old leaf pattern Cammies with the slant pockets for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm out on 29 September. I have them all sitting next to a steel trashcan and a bottle of lighter fluid.
Burn baby burn.
View Quote

Is this inception??? Because that's my plan, and I'm also out the 29th.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top