Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:58:04 PM EDT
So you want to go to school, the GI Bill is a benefit of your service to make that happen. The current education offerings from the VA include Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill; Chapter 33, Post 9-11 GI Bill; Chapter 1606 and 1607 (REAP) for Reserves; Vocational Rehabilitation; Dependents Education Assistance (DEA) and Fry Scholarship; and whatever the next installment of the VRAP (Veterans Retraining and Assistance Program) is, if approved by congress.

You can use these programs to pay for traditional college, career schools, reimbursement for tests, vocational schools, apprenticeship programs, and whatever else you can get cleared by the education department of the VBA (Veterans Benefit Administration.

The Ed benefits are different and very simply they work like this:

• Montgomery pays a flat rate every month that you are enrolled; does not pay the school. Rates found HERE

• Post 9/11 pays, based off of cumulative active service (basic and AIT/tech school dont count for guard/reservists), the E-5 w/ dependents BAH rate for the area of the school (if over half time student and unless the classes are all online) as well as paying for tuition and a book/fees stipend. Payment Rates found HERE

• DEA and Fry Scholarship should be handled through your local VSO as elligibility is limited- 100% permanent and total disability or death in line of duty.

• Vocational Rehabilitation is a side benefit of getting a disability rating of 10% (with impairment to work) or 20% total or better. You work with a counsellor to find a career field that accomodates your disabilities and can get the training paid for to get you a job in that field.

• VRAP was a years worth of vocational or community college paid at the Chapter 30 rate. It has expired and is not available at this time, but keep your eyes out for a replacement. This benefit was designed for folks who's GI Bill expired (10 years after ETS for Ch. 30, 1606 and 1607, 15 years for Ch, 33, and generally 10 years after you got your last rating from the VA for Voc Rehab) or got an other than dishonorable discharge.

Appling for any of the GI Bill programs can be found on the VONAPP on the eBenefits website: eBenefits This website has everything the VA offers. You can sign up for healthcare, file a claim, apply for a pension, track payments from the VA, print disability letters, etc.

Pointers

To find a school or program that accepts the GI Bill hit this website: SCHOOL FINDER It has all the VA approved schools/programs in the world as well as points of contact and their approved programs.

There are literally hundreds of grants, scholarships, living allowences, and special loans that you may be elligible for. Any moneys that you get in addition to your GI Bill past your tuition and fees is yours so it behooves you to apply for everything available. Google is your friend in this but most of the Veteran Service Organizations offer national level scholarships as well as the local posts.

You can't use your GI Bill in two places at the same time, but until you use it all up you can go as many places as you like. Get your CDL, then your associates in basket weaving, then do an apprenticeship with the local union.

The Post 9/11 is pro-rated and does not pay for breaks between semesters. Plan accordingly; school starts the 15th, you will get half the BAH, school starts the 29th, you will get paid for a day or two.

Take advantage of the Work-Study Program- anyone using a VA Ed benefit is elligible, dependents too! Work either at the school or at a local VA/Vet Center and get paid to do your homework. Looks great on a resume, is a great way to network and meet folks, and can be a lot of fun. Info and application HERE

If you do it all right, you will have a breeze through college and fare far better than those living off part time jobs and their parents. Here in Alaska, if you had 100% of Post 9/11, did workstudy, and got a few grants, you make out better than a $23/hr job with all the time in the world for hunting and fishing.

I don't work for the VBA or any school; but, if you have questions or need help I will do my best.

Eta: state voc rehab is another great resource. They operate differently than va voc rehab, and you can't generally draw money from both, but they may be able to provide additional materials to help with school. Typically they seem to be able to provide technology like laptops, cameras, software etc. but much like the va it is a process to get elligible and not guaranteed. I would tell you to do it regardless, especially after you get a va rating.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Grants?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If I enlist in National Guard, if I understand right, I am eligible for MGIB right? I would  pay in $100 of my check from every drill for 12 months, but then get a few thousand back when I go to school right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice thanks for the info. I didn't know about the Work/Study program. I just got out of the Air Force AD last week and starting school soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I enlist in National Guard, if I understand right, I am eligible for MGIB right? I would  pay in $100 of my check from every drill for 12 months, but then get a few thousand back when I go to school right?
View Quote

No you would get the 1606 and whatever tuition assistance your state offers. Ch 30 and 33 come from active service.

Used to be able to collect federal TA and the gi bill but those days end July 23rd.

Go and talk to your recruiter about how the education benefits work in your state.

Another pointer- for those that did pay in $100 a month and use post 9/11, you will get the money back after you exhaust your benefit.

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Grants?
View Quote

Yep, free money with no strings attached. Hit up all the local posts, write them a nice letter asking for money to cover some kind of specific expense- books, software, etc. and they will put it before their board. Generally you don't have to be a member but it depends on the chapter rules.

Local non profits are always good because they love to help vets and generally you will get priority assistance.

State job centers control large piles of funds as well, especially if you are misplaced, disabled, or  meet the criteria for their DVOP (disabled veteran outreach).

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice thanks for the info. I didn't know about the Work/Study program. I just got out of the Air Force AD last week and starting school soon.
View Quote

Congrats man; now is the time to chill out a bit and get your life on the civilian track. It is different for everyone; get into the VA and get your medical needs met ASAP. If you had overseas time get into your local Vet Center and talk to a counselor.; not for PTSD (unless needed) but the Vet Center's main focus is readjustment counseling- getting you back in tune with civilian life. The counselor's are great and understand where you are coming from and help you figure out where you are going. If you didn't deploy, embedded with your VA doc will be a social worker that offers the same service.

This will be one of the most important years of your life- make it count and do it right. The benefits will be an easy ride from here on out with a good career, stable family, and far less stress than before.

Again, congrats, thanks for your service, and enjoy!

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top