Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I might be hitting a bump in the road, or possible a dead stop. My original recruiter told me to omit the fact that I was on an ADD prescription for a year or two in my early 20's. But I'm not really comfortable with the whole fraudulent enlistment deal. I've been off the meds for over 2 years, made a 93 on my ASVAB unassisted, same job for 7 years, no depression or anxiety in my records or anything else, etc. But I'm still worried I may not get a waiver. What do you guys think? I'm waiting till tomorrow to bring it up with me new recruiter (the first got promoted)
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I might be hitting a bump in the road, or possible a dead stop. My original recruiter told me to omit the fact that I was on an ADD prescription for a year or two in my early 20's. But I'm not really comfortable with the whole fraudulent enlistment deal. I've been off the meds for over 2 years, made a 93 on my ASVAB unassisted, same job for 7 years, no depression or anxiety in my records or anything else, etc. But I'm still worried I may not get a waiver. What do you guys think? I'm waiting till tomorrow to bring it up with me new recruiter (the first got promoted)
View Quote

SMFH.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That was... Insightful?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That was... Insightful?
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One last question, since I still can't get signed up on the NG forums. If I go 15T or 68W , is there anything I should ask for on my contract?

Also, is there a way to find out what each unit in the state is on my own? 15T is offered in one location currently, trying to find out if its a flight unit. 68W is offered in 7 cities at the moment, trying to find out what kind of units they are. Looking them up by Google or Yellow pages is not telling me what kind of unit they are.
View Quote

You're an IT guy and you can't Google up the Alabama National Guard units?

Alabama ARNG units.

There is one aviation unit, so that's where the 15t job is. As to 68w, most every unit at every level is going to have medic slots. The flight medic slot in an avation unit is a sweet gig, so you might want to look into that. Both MOS's will do a fair share of actual job specific work on drill weekends. Helos need lots of maintenance so you will stay busy as a 15t.  The medic position is about 30/70 MOS/everything else on drill weekends, but at any kind of training event you'll be doing your job if someone gets hurt.

As to what else to ask for you're not going to get and additional schools like airborne unless it's required for the slot. In the Guard you enlist for a specific slot with it's MOS specific requirements. You want more? Alabama has an SF unit and I'll bet they are always looking for support troops.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Alabama ARNG units.

There is one aviation unit, so that's where the 15t job is. As to 68w, most every unit at every level is going to have medic slots. The flight medic slot in an avation unit is a sweet gig, so you might want to look into that. Both MOS's will do a fair share of actual job specific work on drill weekends. Helos need lots of maintenance so you will stay busy as a 15t.  The medic position is about 30/70 MOS/everything else on drill weekends, but at any kind of training event you'll be doing your job if someone gets hurt.

As to what else to ask for you're not going to get and additional schools like airborne unless it's required for the slot. In the Guard you enlist for a specific slot with it's MOS specific requirements. You want more? Alabama has an SF unit and I'll bet they are always looking for support troops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One last question, since I still can't get signed up on the NG forums. If I go 15T or 68W , is there anything I should ask for on my contract?

Also, is there a way to find out what each unit in the state is on my own? 15T is offered in one location currently, trying to find out if its a flight unit. 68W is offered in 7 cities at the moment, trying to find out what kind of units they are. Looking them up by Google or Yellow pages is not telling me what kind of unit they are.

Alabama ARNG units.

Thanks! I found that list but had trouble telling what certain locations were. Like I know Alexander City is MP, but only because I have been there. I was trying to figure out what each city was. (IE : Talladega, Infantry).

The recruiter and I seem to have settled on 15T. The Special Forces did actually come up in conversation. I would not mind being a Weapon Sgt at all. However, right now I'm gonna be in a struggle to even pass the 1-1-1. I'm just not sure that I can hang with those guys and get through selection. I suppose if I picked 11B and fell back on that in the event of failing selection, my feelings wouldn't be hurt too bad. But I think I might just go with 15T for my first enlistment and then if I can maintain physical fitness over the next 6 years, I'll try to switch.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks! I found that list but had trouble telling what certain locations were. Like I know Alexander City is MP, but only because I have been there. I was trying to figure out what each city was. (IE : Talladega, Infantry).

The recruiter and I seem to have settled on 15T. The Special Forces did actually come up in conversation. I would not mind being a Weapon Sgt at all. However, right now I'm gonna be in a struggle to even pass the 1-1-1. I'm just not sure that I can hang with those guys and get through selection. I suppose if I picked 11B and fell back on that in the event of failing selection, my feelings wouldn't be hurt too bad. But I think I might just go with 15T for my first enlistment and then if I can maintain physical fitness over the next 6 years, I'll try to switch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alabama ARNG units.

Hate to tell you, but if thats the case your going to be hurting at BCT.  You need to push yourself very hard so you are significantly exceeding the standard of the 1-1-1.  The number one reason I see for failure at BCT is physical fitness related.  Bottom line is if you can't hack it physically your going to get chaptered.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I definitely understand. I've been working on it pretty hard lately and I hope to have a few months in RSP before I go as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My waiver was approved before I even went to MEPS and now I'm leaving tomorrow to go get checked into the hotel. I wish this fucking NG forum sign up page would work so I could ask some National Guard specific questions there before I go.  

Just trying to make my last minute decisions between 15T as originally planned, 68W or 11B. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Go 15T.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I was thinking for the longest time about joining the National Guard too after leaving the Marine Corps. But the recruiter Chick I talked to made it sound super complicated being prior service. I just eventually gave up, but I should of went through with it since I'm still in my mid 20's. Good luck on your military career and stay safe brother.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  I was thinking for the longest time about joining the National Guard too after leaving the Marine Corps. But the recruiter Chick I talked to made it sound super complicated being prior service. I just eventually gave up, but I should of went through with it since I'm still in my mid 20's. Good luck on your military career and stay safe brother.
View Quote

We'll still take you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was thinking for the longest time about joining the National Guard too after leaving the Marine Corps. But the recruiter Chick I talked to made it sound super complicated being prior service. I just eventually gave up, but I should of went through with it since I'm still in my mid 20's. Good luck on your military career and stay safe brother.
View Quote

Thanks.

I hit some delays at MEPS but hopefully I'll be in before Christmas. Stay safe as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi, I had some questions about the National Guard too.

-24 years old
-Live in Florida
-Associates degree will be completed this fall semester
-Considering 11b
-Interested in going to basic during coming spring semester time frame

I've spoken with a recruiter, and he seemed pretty straight forward. I plan on meeting with him again soon.

1. How is life as an 11b in the National Guard when not deployed? My reasoning for potentially going 11b is that I've always been interested in serving my country, love firearms/military history, and quite frankly I'm pretty damn bored and could use some excitement in my life. Also, all of the former 11b's I work with seem like great guys that I really get along with.

2. From my understating the FL NG is a 100% tuition state. With the Reserve GI bill, federal assistance,  and kicker program will my schooling be covered through a masters degree? All of the information pertaining to college coverage has been a bit overwhelming, and I seek further clarification before swearing in. If my schooling is covered then it's just icing on the cake. If it isn't it's not a deal breaker for my enlistment.

3. Does anyone have any info/experience with National Guard Special Forces and the NQP program? I happen to live right by a  20th Group area (Camp Blanding). I may even be able to speak with a GB the next time I speak with my recruiter. I'm highly interested in SF, and have the utmost respect for those guys whether I enlist or not. I'm aware of the 18x/Rep63 program, but I want to get my feet wet as an 11b before I even consider attempting something as prestigious as SF.

From my understanding if I am to enlist I would go in as an E-3 because I have over 60 college credits. In order to get the go ahead for SF I believe you must be an E-4... Does that take about 2 years in The Guard?

Lastly, I am considering other MOS's, and spoke with my recruiter about SF Support. One nice aspect is that from what he said it is one of the few areas of the National Guard where you are guaranteed Airborne in your contract. Certainly working along SF would be awesome, but I do wonder if 11b is really the place for me to be. I'm going to school for Geology, and my reasoning for joining the NG is not solely for career skills (although I'm sure being enlisted will provide plenty of life experience that will be useful regardless of MOS).

Well, that's it for now. Thank your for your time and insight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lastly, I am considering other MOS's, and spoke with my recruiter about SF Support. One nice aspect is that from what he said it is one of the few areas of the National Guard where you are guaranteed Airborne in your contract. Certainly working along SF would be awesome, but I do wonder if 11b is really the place for me to be. I'm going to school for Geology, and my reasoning for joining the NG is not solely for career skills (although I'm sure being enlisted will provide plenty of life experience that will be useful regardless of MOS).
View Quote

If you think you want to go SF any time soon my advice is to get into the 20th Group in a support MOS. You will knockout jump school right up front, and your time spent in group will act like an extended interview. When the time comes to make the jump to the Q course you will have a much better understanding as to what it takes to make it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top