Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2014 7:41:35 PM EDT
Army 91f and 91e or Navy GM or MR (Went Army but was not avalible)

Can anyone tell me about these. I'd like to get an idea of what these will be like as far as a career length enlistment is concerned.
Thanks

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I was a 45B/91F from 2006-2012.
I worked in the Motorpool, Started my own Battalion sized Small Arms Repair Shop, supporting 4 Companies stateside, 6 Companies while deployed. I worked on my own for the first few years, I was authorized 2 other E4 and below in my shop, I didn't get them until 6 months before i was ETS'ing.
It was a great job. Got a lot of experience, met and worked with alot of cool people. Im currently working for a company doing tech support, customer service and, building AR-15 Platform Rifles. I would say that the training and Army experience did help out with that, but as far as serious gunsmithing, i would say no. Working on Machine Guns, M4's and such is a lot different than building a complete 1000+ yard rifle from the ground up, or bedding actions. Its just not taught in the AIT/ On The Job as a 91F. Your taught to repair what the Army uses. Overall it was a pretty cool MOS though.
Career length? if nothing has changed, you make it to E5 as a 91F. Once you get your E6 you are reclassed to a 91K, which is fire control and tank turret repair stuff. Its a mix of 91G and 91F if i remember correctly.
You can be an instructor at the Ordnance School as an E6. Most in maintenance MOS's end up going Warrant after being an E6/E7 after a while. There weren't many Ordnance E8's that I knew of, E7 was pretty much the ending point, then you retire.
If you are an odd MOS and there isnt work for you in the motorpool, most of the time you get cross trained to work on vehicles. We had gen mechanics, welders and myself doing vehicle services during part of the deployments.
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or anything.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
<-8 Yr Navy GM
2nd Class, that just got out

I loved the rate, many "c" school options. Testing was not fun, since I did aircraft and small arms and no ship time (a lot of the rank exam was based on ship board magazines and fire supression, tough to learn if you have never been on a ship). You will have opportunities to work on many types of small arms, although most of these will be your M4/M9 type (depending on where you are stationed).
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers. Neither was available to me though(though I didn't really think it would be) . Went with 13b instead.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
MR is a very hard rate to advance in if i remember correctly. lot of guys got out 2nd class. i know for fact MA was a bitch but lucky i was first class when force converted in 2004.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my favorite duty stations during my time was in Guam with a helo squad. My group (GMs and AOs) worked on MH-60 helos strapping certain weapons setups on for missions. Very cool place to work, networked with some outstanding folks at the time. 8, years and never did earn a NAM though, I tried, just no success.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the answers. Neither was available to me though(though I didn't really think it would be) . Went with 13b instead.  
View Quote

Volunteer for airborne if you get the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne option came with it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding.

You've got the opportunity to go to some great units.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
enjoy Fort Sill
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
GM is a great rate.  Guns, missiles, missile launchers, small arms.... what's not to like!

MR  - not a big community, advancement is somewhat limited. Duty either on big ships - CVNs/Tenders (if there even are still tenders in the Fleet) in R Division, or at Shore Intermediate Maintenance Facilities.  The MRs knew pretty much seemed to like their job - fabricating parts from stock metal for instance- the lack of advancement, no so much.  Not as bad as Postal Clerk in that respect, but lots of other jobs make rate a lot faster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top