User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate when I get thanked for my service;  I am not even sure what to say when they thank me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep....  I am active duty and can't stand the ' let's recognize our service member' moments....  My wife knows it and usually gives me the look if I don't stand to be recognized...  Just not my thing..

I hate when I get thanked for my service;  I am not even sure what to say when they thank me

My standard canned answer is "not like I did it for free."

As far as talking about it,  I used to talk about it with civvies, but right about the time I mention "staring death in the face and giving him the finger" people look at me like I'm crazy.

I won't see a shrink who's not prior service, and I need to see a shrink.

Quoted:
I keep it to myself.

I actually was a pilot in the USAF, and unfortunately there are way too many AF members (serving or have served) that claim they were pilots.  I can't stand those that lie so I don't want to be associated with liars.   I flew "combat" missions over AFG but its not the same as what guys did during Vietnam or the Gulf War so it just feels awkward to say.  

Love meeting the honest vets.

Not to brag or anything, but as extensive as my combat experiences were,  I find very few vets who make me feel like I had it easy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have two modes, I'll gladly talk about what I did and saw with people who are genuinely interested.

But... to the "bro's" who are the ones that are all "Dude bro, I'd totally have joined and smoked ragheads, you ever kill anybody bro?"

I will tell them about all the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of absolutely fucking horrific things I saw. Some of it bad horror movie levels.

It's kind of my version of therapy, and it's a shitload cheaper.  Let them live with it and off my mind.
View Quote

I usually explain to them that my rule about disrespecting the dead includes enemy combatants, as they were willing to lay down their lives for what they believed in just as we were.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends on who I am talking to.  It also depends on my mood and how much I have been drinking, even with fellow vets.  

A few beers and a casual, fun, setting and I'll chat more but to be honest, my Army time wasn't that unusual.  Yeah I deployed, yeah I have a combat patch but by the time I went to war I went from being a combat medic with a line unit to being an Army Nurse Corps Officer (Officer Enlisted Commissioning Program) so my experience was relatively safe compared to what I would have done just 8 years earlier.

The worst part was seeing the end results of the combat, when the mass cals would come in.  I suppose it did have a scarring effect on me, and many of us in the Combat Support Hospitals, especially since I was an ICU nurse dealing with the worst traumas but I still consider myself lucky.  I had the chance to bring some guys back that might not have made it 20 years earlier.  If I talk about anything I talk about the pride in that.  Fathers went home to children, husbands to wives, wives to husbands.  All of the personal traumas, the shelling, the other idiotic things were nothing compared to the stress the front line troopers had to put up with.  

It is all perspective.
View Quote

I'm sorry, but I don't think I could handle being a medic.  The firefights and the ieds, I could deal with my own death just fine.  But the death of others is something I still have a very hard time dealing with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't say much.  My last three years in I was 11B (also qualified as 16S) but I've never felt like I was really one.  I spent those years as 11B in a Patriot unit in Germany.  Each battery had a squad of 11B for security, but we were gofers used for guard duty more than anything.  During Desert Storm my unit deployed to Israel, but I was in the one battery they left behind as rear detachment.

I started out as a 16P (Chaparral) my first two years, then re-enlisted 11B.  I went to airborne school and tore up my knee jumping from a C-141 during jump week.  It wasn't the landing, but the exit.  I had a weak exit and the suspension lines wrapped around my lower right leg, whipped me upside down, and tore my knee up.  Somehow I made the second jump that day, but they saw me limping and made me go to the medics, and I was done.  I got 3 out of 5 jumps.   My orders for the 82nd were canceled, I spent six months in rehab assigned to HHC 1/507 PIR, then went to 11B AIT.  I then got sent to Germany into a Patriot unit in Giessen.  That was a huge disappointment after expecting to go to an airborne unit.

Looking back I did have a somewhat interesting time in the military, and when I talk to other vets they often seem to find it cool that I was a 'duck hunter' (SHORAD).  I have come to learn there weren't a lot of guys who were Vulcan/Stinger/Chaparral.  Some of my experiences during my time in airborne school also make for some good story telling.

For the most part though, I stay quiet except around other vets.  At the school I teach at we bring in a group of vets every year to talk to the kids.  One of the guys was a crewman on the USS Pueblo and held as a POW by the NORKS.  I don't talk and just stay in the back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I won't see a shrink who's not prior service, and I need to see a shrink.
View Quote

As long as they want to take guns away from vets with PTSD I'd say seek out some fellow vets you trust first and see if talking to them helps
In the end though if you need some true professional help, please get it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The extent I talk about my .mil service is if I see a guy with a big ass Devil Dog tattoo or something, I'll give him a "Semper Fi bro" as I walk by.

It helps that I am goofy and don't look like a Marine either.

No stickers. No hats. No shirts. No 5.11 pants or combat boots. No beard. No camouflage backpack on campus.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I only talk with other Vets. Even then I pretty much focus on the good times. Im not much for telling stories, military or Police. I cant say I much like hearing them either.

The 4 years I served my country were the best in my life. I saw much of the world and ran with some good bro's. Where Im stationed now I see lots of kids coming in on their way to basic training and Im very impressed with the quality of person being allowed to serve in our armed forces.

Its a pleasure talking to young people who respect their elders and understand there is something greater then their own self in life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I talk about my service minimally. I open up around other vets, but for everyone else, they can't really understand. I mean i get it, they want to understand, and they try, but they just can't because they never experienced it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Online I don't really mind but in person it's the opposite.  I don't mention it, even if I meet another vet unless he's a fellow 11B or at least combat arms.  The only way someone would be able to identify me as a vet would be my KIA bracelet but if they recognize that chances are they were at least combat arms.  

To my best friends back home it took a while to talk with them about it but even then it's toned down. When I'm with the boys from my platoon we can talk all day about the good days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve gotten to do a lot of neat things in a lot of different places.  I enjoy sharing my experiences with people who are genuinely interested.  I don’t want people to think I’m a braggart, so I don’t usually initiate those sorts of conversations…
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep that stuff to myself unless I meet a fellow vet with some experience.  There are alot of young military cats here, and I really don't care to hear any of their "war stories" from basic training.
It's difficult to explain combat experiences to someone who isn't capable of understanding.  My dad is the only family member who knows anything about my time overseas, and his knowledge is very limited.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
First thing I say is that I was blessed.  No one was shooting at me and the duty stations were all peace time.  "60 to "64 with 3 yrs in France and one yr. in Southern California.  Voodoo and Delta Dart instrument mechanic with Laon AB in France and George AFB in Southern Calif.  Almost like a civilian job.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a young man my service defined who I was.  As I got older I talked about it less and less.  I work for a .mil organization that is 90% vets and military service is just assumed, not talked about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I typically don't let any one know.  If it's another Vet, sometimes I'll chat back and forth and tell stories, but I've found most people I know don't understand.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top