Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2012 1:48:45 PM EDT
I understand that if I enlist in the reserves I will be going to basic training, MCT, and then MOS school.

What I'm unclear on is the next step. Will I do my reserve duty in my state no matter what my MOS is?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm Army, but since I grew up in Oakland, MD, I figured I'd try to help.

The link below shows what USMCR units are in Maryland. You should be able to search Delaware, Pennsylvania and Virginia for something close. I'm assuming the recruiter will go over which units are close and have vacancies.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforres/Units/State_Directory.aspx?STID=MD#MFR_Banner
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
double tapped for your protection

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I understand that if I enlist in the reserves I will be going to basic training, MCT, and then MOS school.

What I'm unclear on is the next step. Will I do my reserve duty in my state no matter what my MOS is?

Yes. But you will only be contracted for a MOS that your local reserve unit can use and needs.

If you move before your obligated drill service (typically 4 years of obligated drilling, followed by 4 years IRR time, during which it is your decision to be in a unit and attend drills) is completed, you will have to join another unit, and retrain to another MOS that they need, whatever that may be, or make a commute to an out-of-state unit where you are a MOS match.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
BALTIMORE
DET CO A 4TH CBT ENGR BN,
4TH MARINE DIVISION
7000 HAMLET AVENUE
BALTIMORE, MD 21234
PHONE: 443-864-1211

DET HQSVC CO 4TH CBT ENGR BN,
4TH MARINE DIVISION
7000 HAMLET ST.
BALTIMORE, MD 21234

ENGT SPT CO(-) 4TH CBT ENGR BN,
4TH MARINE DIVISION
7000 HAMLET AVENUE
BALTIMORE, MD 21234

HQSVC CO 4TH CBT ENGR BN,
4TH MARINE DIVISION
7000 HAMLET AVENUE
BALTIMORE, MD 21234

FORT DETRICK
CO B 4TH LAR BN,
4TH MARINE DIVISION
1276 BASE ROAD
FORT DETRICK, MD 21702
PHONE: 301-305-7962

NAF ANDREWS
DET ANDREWS VMR,
4TH MARINE AIRCRAFT WING
BLDG 31981, 1 SAN DIEGO LOOP
NAF ANDREWS, MD 20762
PHONE: 678-618-3876

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. But you will only be contracted for a MOS that your local reserve unit can use and needs.

If you move before your obligated drill service (typically 4 years of obligated drilling, followed by 4 years IRR time, during which it is your decision to be in a unit and attend drills) is completed, you will have to join another unit, and retrain to another MOS that they need, whatever that may be, or make a commute to an out-of-state unit where you are a MOS match.

Ok, thanks.

I'm most interested in doing the 6x2 option.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

Is there a really good bonus for whatever MOS you are considering, to lose any flexibility you might have had for those ~2 years after graduating college, entering a new job as a recent graduate, and/or starting a family?

Unless you are looking at going officer (which comes with even more job training in a new MOS, and more obligation), it may not seem like such a good deal, a few years down the road.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

Is there a really good bonus for whatever MOS you are considering, to lose any flexibility you might have had for those ~2 years after graduating college, entering a new job as a recent graduate, and/or starting a family?

Unless you are looking at going officer (which comes with even more job training in a new MOS, and more obligation), it may not seem like such a good deal, a few years down the road.  

I haven't even looked into any bonuses or even talked to a recruiter.

I still have 2.5 years til I get my bachelors degree.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

By all means, go 4x4! What is your degree field? But, since you're already agreeable to doing 6 years of obligated service, you might as well get paid well to do it, and go officer.

Start talking to the Officer Selection Officer https://www.facebook.com/pages/USMC-Officer-Selection-Office-College-Park/119517361425095?sk=info

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Naaah, just enlist. You'll love it.

lolz.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

By all means, go 4x4! What is your degree field? But, since you're already agreeable to doing 6 years of obligated service, you might as well get paid well to do it, and go officer.

Start talking to the Officer Selection Officer https://www.facebook.com/pages/USMC-Officer-Selection-Office-College-Park/119517361425095?sk=info  

What are the advantage of 4x4 compared to 6x2?

My major is international relations and my ideal MOS is 0231. I have the grades for OCS.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

My major is international relations and my ideal MOS is 0231. I have the grades for OCS.

Okay, here's my plan for you:

1) Talk to the OSO in College Pk about a commissioning track for 0202 (MAGTF Intel Officer) or 0203 (Ground Intel Officer).

2) Since you want to be enlisted in the mean time, ask the local recruiter if there are any 0231 billets in any of the local SMCR units that you could train to, and drill in before you graduate and get your bachelor's degree. When you commission, any service obligation that you accrued as an enlisted is waived, so nothing is gained by going 6x2.

In your case, that 6x2 contract is still going to be tying up your life 4 years after you've graduated from college.

Should you not commission, that 6x2 contract is two extra years of drill weekends every month and annual training that you will have to attend, when you might start to see all sorts of conflicts for your time when the wife wants sex (trust me, you want to be the one home with her, when she decides to have sex ), your son or daughter is playing t-ball, or your boss needs you to go on that one business trip for THE contract that will make millions for the company and a VP promotion for whoever got the customer's signature.

Serving on several I&I staffs, I may have seen more than a few reservists run into those sort of obstacles, some of whom stopped showing up for drill. You can imagine how that would look on a background investigation, for someone who is applying for positions in federal government, or one of the defense contractors supplying the military, etc.      

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, Gunny, gonna stand on the yellow foot prints for him, too?

OP, gunny was kind enough to lay out a very good plan for you. I strongly urge you to do what he says.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

1) Talk to the OSO in College Pk about a commissioning track for 0202 (MAGTF Intel Officer) or 0203 (Ground Intel Officer).

2) Since you want to be enlisted in the mean time, ask the local recruiter if there are any 0231 billets in any of the local SMCR units that you could train to, and drill in before you graduate and get your bachelor's degree. When you commission, any service obligation that you accrued as an enlisted is waived, so nothing is gained by going 6x2.

In your case, that 6x2 contract is still going to be tying up your life 4 years after you've graduated from college.

Should you not commission, that 6x2 contract is two extra years of drill weekends every month and annual training that you will have to attend, when you might start to see all sorts of conflicts for your time when the wife wants sex (trust me, you want to be the one home with her, when she decides to have sex ), your son or daughter is playing t-ball, or your boss needs you to go on that one business trip for THE contract that will make millions for the company and a VP promotion for whoever got the customer's signature.

Serving on several I&I staffs, I may have seen more than a few reservists run into those sort of obstacles, some of whom stopped showing up for drill. You can imagine how that would look on a background investigation, for someone who is applying for positions in federal government, or one of the defense contractors supplying the military, etc.      

I'm an idiot. Thank you for writing that, but I either typed too fast or my phone messed up.

I do NOT have the grades for OCS. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You have two and a half years to change that. Better get to work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am. My grades have really picked up these past 2 semesters once I found out what I actually want to do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am. My grades have really picked up these past 2 semesters once I found out what I actually want to do.

Where do you want to go, and do what, with your degree?

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent.

Reply IM'd

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone else with some insight?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC you need to do a 6x2 to get the reserve GI Bill.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
There are only 3 career tracks for Marine Officers: Ground, Air and Law.  

Outside of that you are thrown into the mix with your TBS class mates and you get the MOS your position in the quality distribution spreed gives you.

If you go reserves, your recruiter works with all the reserve units within a reasonable commuting distance from your college to get you a billet, depending on the time of the FY will depend on how many RQSNs are available and what you can contract for.  At this time of the year don't expect anything you may have to wait till Oct.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Another question, if I sign a 6x2 reserve contract am I stuck with that, or can I change it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Another question, if I sign a 6x2 reserve contract am I stuck with that, or can I change it?

Yes. And yes:

There are ways to supercede an existing contract:

(1) By later signing an active duty contract.

(2) getting commissioned as an officer (which will have its own contractual obligations),

(3) requesting an inter-service transfer: For example, I know enlisted Marines who applied to be an Army Aviation Warrant Officer Candidate
(which will also have its own contractual obligations and contingencies should the candidate not graduate)  .    
Overall, and without regard for rank or branch of service, you will still have an 8 year military service obligation, requiring a mix of obligated drilling reserve duty or active duty, followed by a period of inactive ready reserve (IRR) time when you may be called up. On the active duty side in the past, they have done early releases  (discharging Marines ahead of their scheduled release from active duty) to save money. The SMCR hasn't ever done that, AFAIK.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#24]
So I couldn't switch from a 6x2 to a 5x3 contract?

Also, what contractual changes happen when getting commissioned?
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So I couldn't switch from a 6x2 to a 5x3 contract?

Also, what contractual changes happen when getting commissioned?

Ask yourself this: Does your cell phone provider let you leave or make your plan less expensive by cutting the airtime, text limits or data whenever you want, without some sort of financial penalty? No. That's why it is called a contract.  

What benefit is it to the Marine Corps to allow your to shorten your contract? They may let you change, if there is something (like an new officer, or an active duty Marine) in it for them.  

Talk to the local Officer Selection Officer for details about what they have to offer right now. It varies from MOS to MOS.

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The 6x2 will give the the GI Bill like Bonk said. BUT, you only get a % of it based on your time in service and whether you've deployed or not. I personally haven't met a Marine yet that isn't doing/hasn't done the 6x2.

I believe the closest place your going to find an intel MOS is in Virginia at Quantico. If your not close to your drill center, driving to and from drill every month can be a bitch. The Marines will pay for a place for you to stay but not your gas. Not to mention if you get released late your stuck driving home tired.

Talk to a recruiter, enlisted and officer. You can always join the Reserves and do the PLC or Platoon Leadership Course during your summers. This way you know first hand what it is like to be enlisted if you become an officer.

I've been where your at. So if you have anymore questions ask away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys. I'm still looking into it, and I have some more questions.

I'm looking at this site: here

And this quote confused me a little bit:

(3) Selected Marine Corps Reservists without previous active duty intelligence experience who successfully complete Phases I and II of the MAGTF Intelligence Specialist Reserve Course, NMITC, Dam Neck, VA, will be awarded MOS 0231 as an additional MOS only. SMCR Marines holding additional MOS 0231 may receive primary MOS 0231 after serving 3 years in the billet MOS unless sooner waived by CMC (DirInt).

Can I do this MOS as a reservist, or will I have to go active duty?

I haven't even spoken to a recruiter yet, as this is at least a year away and I don't want to be bombarded by them
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

(3) Selected Marine Corps Reservists without previous active duty intelligence experience who successfully complete Phases I and II of the MAGTF Intelligence Specialist Reserve Course, NMITC, Dam Neck, VA, will be awarded MOS 0231 as an additional MOS only. SMCR Marines holding additional MOS 0231 may receive primary MOS 0231 after serving 3 years in the billet MOS unless sooner waived by CMC (DirInt).

I haven't even spoken to a recruiter yet, as this is at least a year away and I don't want to be bombarded by them

The key word you should be looking at is "additional". This won't/can't be the primary MOS that you would be signing up for, which is whatever MOSs the reserve unit you'd be joining needs to fill.

Once you completed the training track for your primary MOS (recruit training, MCT, and that MOS's training track), and then you'd have to be placed into the 0231 MOS billet for your unit, complete the required training you listed above, and serve 3 years in the intel MOS billet before you could request making that your new primary.

If that doesn't sound too difficult, remember that you are planning to sign up to one job, and only IF your OIC is willing to be a man short in his section's MOS for 3 years, will you get to request up the chain to the CO, to work in the S-2 shop (providing your clearance allows it, so they can grant you access).

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Key word there is "additional". You have to hold a MOS in something else before you can go for an additional.

Are you going to college?  I did the 4 hour drive to drill thing for most of three years while in college and will personally vouch for the fact that it sucks major ass. Final formation at 1800, you roll in around 2200, and inevitably you have a test or a paper due the next day. Pick a unit no further than 100 road miles away, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Boot camp, MCT, MOS school -> unit

short of very very specific cases you should A) be drilling near your home (preferably within 50 miles) and B) already know what unit you are going to and have interviewed with them before going to boot camp
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, thanks.

this

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

need to have time overseas/deployed to get it on the reserve side

one deployment gives you 70%
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The key word you should be looking at is "additional". This won't/can't be the primary MOS that you would be signing up for, which is whatever MOSs the reserve unit you'd be joining needs to fill.

Once you completed the training track for your primary MOS (recruit training, MCT, and that MOS's training track), and then you'd have to be placed into the 0231 MOS billet for your unit, complete the required training you listed above, and serve 3 years in the intel MOS billet before you could request making that your new primary.

If that doesn't sound too difficult, remember that you are planning to sign up to one job, and only IF your OIC is willing to be a man short in his section's MOS for 3 years, will you get to request up the chain to the CO, to work in the S-2 shop (providing your clearance allows it, so they can grant you access).

Damn Gunny's on the ball huh....

yes - lets say you enlist as an 0300 - pick up 0311 out of SOI and now you're billy rifleman running around....but hey, you have a degree and show leadership you've got half a brain....

now they put you in the CLIC (company level intel cell... most everyone is running them now - it's a bunch of 03's playing intel, and doing a f'n good job at it)

they look at you and go holy crap, this guy is shit hot as an analyst..... and we need a new LCpl in the 2 shop (and don't see one coming in anytime soon) - they work a backroom deal and get you over to the S2, send you to school...... now you have to work there for 3 years before 0231 is your PMOS (opposite would be a lat move - where you go to school and get the new primary MOS immediately upon graduation)

I'm an 0231 reservist, in an east coast unit - shoot me a PM with what you want to get out of your time in the Corps and I'll see if I can be of any help
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#34]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#35]
if you enlist, dont let them tell you there are no bonuses available.  I had to pull teeth but i finally got my 5k.

Take it from someone that was in the OCC program for over a year.  if you dont have at least a 3.0 and a 288+ PFT you are wasting your time.

Dont get me wrong, im loving my time in the Marines, but have you considered any of the other branches.  Last i heard the army was giving E4 to college Grads.  who knows, their commissioning program might be less competitive as well.  Just make sure you explore all your options before you sign anything.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chapter 1607, yes.
Chapter 1606, which is similar to the pre-9/11 RGB, does not require mob'd time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chapter 1607, yes.

Chapter 1606, which is similar to the pre-9/11 RGB, does not require mob'd time.

true

but who doesn't want the post 9/11 awesomeness
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

USMC Reserve deployment orders are almost always 400 days.
400 days = 60%

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chapter 1607, yes.

true  

but who doesn't want the post 9/11 awesomeness

Not arguing at all there.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USMC Reserve deployment orders are almost always 400 days.

400 days = 60%

that....

I'm just going off my Marines' talking about it - I did 4 active before jumping over so I get the 100% from the get-go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top