Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2008 7:04:21 AM EDT

• The Streamlight Stinger is the probably the most used duty
    flashlight in the US with good reason. The Stinger is a very durable proven
    light. With the external charge ability it eliminates the need to remove the
    battery stick like the Surefire lights. Battery life is average at one hour of
    continuous use and charge time is long at ten hours or two and half for the
    quick charge. The local police equipment store charges $125 for this excellent
    light. Now there is a new kid on the block that may give the Stinger a run for
    its money.

I purchased the Inova T4 back in October. This is my new
    favorite duty light. The diameter is the same as the Stinger, so it fits in my
    Stallion light holder. The dual light output (175/40 lumen) is very
    functional. It also has a strobe feature for building searches, and the switch
    can be momentary or constant on. Run time is superb at two hours at maximum output
    and ten hours for low. The checkering on the body feels good and provides for a
    positive grip. The Inova felt lighter the first time I picked it up. Checking
    the web sites proved I was right. The T4 weighs in at 9.81oz versus 10oz for
    the Stinger. The head is smaller as well. The T4 is little longer at 8”
    versus 7.38” for the Stinger. The LED in front of the switch will glow red when it is charging and be green when it fully charged (no more guessing). The light came with one charging head and an AC
    charger as well as a DC charger. The T4 is harder to get seated in the charger
    than the Stinger but I don’t think it will ever accidentally fall out.  The local police equipment store charged me $139.

I’ve used this light now for two months with no problems.
    Forgetting to turn it off does not result in the lens getting melted like the
    Stinger. The extra hour run time is useful when you are tracking suspects all
    over the place, and the low setting is fine for traffic posts and crime scenes
    where you can be stuck all night. The beam could be focused tighter to provide
    a better spot. There is no spot with this light unless you are closer than 10’.
    This is the only negative I can find with it. I haven’t come across a situation
    where the spot would have found something/ someone faster than what I did
    without it, but you should be aware.

Now for the warning. This is the new model. A lot of the
    T4’s sold on the internet are the old model that is 100 lumen only with none
    of the nifty features of high/low or the momentary on/off. Make sure you are buying
    the newest version before you spend your $$$.

The first pictures are side by side comparison.

This is the Stinger from the top of my basement stairs:

Now the T4:

• The extra lumens definetly make a difference.  

• I am in no way affiliated with Inova. I do believe in making an informed purchase, money doesn't grow on trees and buying something you don't like is a hard way to learn. So there is my review. Please no comments on my crappy house keeping.

•  

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 8:33:42 AM EDT
    [#1]
    Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:22:48 AM EDT
    [#2]
    Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:13:25 AM EDT
    [#3]
    I liked my Inova, until I dropped it and it quit working.  The Streamlights are just tougher.
    Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:27:41 AM EDT
    [#4]
    Cool comparison.  How old is the bulb in your stinger?  Oh, and you are due a new alarm clock!
    Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:38:51 AM EDT
    [#5]
    I have one of the older ones.  I like it.  

Streamlight batteries suck.  Their lights are good though.

Kind of an unfair comparison because you are comparing the older version against the newer Inova.  There is a Stinger LED out and it's a lot higher tech than the old one.

I personally carry two lights on my belt...an Inova T4(older one) and an Insight H2X Typhoon 2 (same as an upgraded Gladius) a Streamlight pen light LED in my pocket, and a SureFire X300 on my weapon.  

I use the Inova for admin lighting needs.  I use the Insight light and/or the weapon mounted light for tactical lighting needs.

I also have a Magcharger in the car and it has been modified with an LED.

Nice writeup though!!
    Link Posted: 12/20/2008 8:55:46 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Is the stinger fully charged? Mine looks a lot better than that.
    Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:37:22 AM EDT
    [#7]
    Quoted:

Fully charged. Just 11 years old
    Link Posted: 12/21/2008 4:26:09 AM EDT
    [#8]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Fully charged. Just 11 years old

After 11 years it might be time for a tune-up. Streamlight does a great job of re-conditionong the light if you send it back to the factory. I sent mine back and they updated the module and replaced the lens. (Tip! don't leave the light on and stand it on lens.) They even threw in a new charger!

I have one of their TLR-2 lights but just not used to the LED's for lighting yet.
    Link Posted: 12/21/2008 6:00:40 AM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    I have one of the older ones.  I like it.  

Streamlight batteries suck.  Their lights are good though.

Kind of an unfair comparison because you are comparing the older version against the newer Inova.  There is a Stinger LED out and it's a lot higher tech than the old one.

I personally carry two lights on my belt...an Inova T4(older one) and an Insight H2X Typhoon 2 (same as an upgraded Gladius) a Streamlight pen light LED in my pocket, and a SureFire X300 on my weapon.  

I use the Inova for admin lighting needs.  I use the Insight light and/or the weapon mounted light for tactical lighting needs.

I also have a Magcharger in the car and it has been modified with an LED.
    Nice writeup though!!

magchargers with led upgrades for the MF'ing win!

You can buy a three led lens swap/upgrade for maglights for about $150 dollars that will push them up to 750 lumens.

A few months ago i dropped the change for a blackbear borealis flashlight thats 1050 lumens of incandescent light for 1 hour and rechargable. I dropped it on the concrete after the first week and broke it. After i got it back i dropped it again and minorly messed it up. That time i figured out how to take it apart and repair and maintain it and its been the bees knees ever since. If you really want to see something a log way away its completely unparalleled. In complete darkness you can see people clearly at 200 yards.

Link Posted: 12/21/2008 6:01:25 AM EDT
    [#10]
    I am waiting for Terralux to come out with their LED dropin for Stinger.  News release was on Police One month or so ago.  Nothing on their website except a dropin for Stinger HP w/ 6 hrs runtime.
    RRA15
    Link Posted: 12/21/2008 10:44:52 AM EDT
    [#11]

We were issued Stinger DS LED's, very bright, great flood and distance with the light. better than any halogen light ive ever had. I believe the lumens ar at 120 for this light. The light is also rechargeable.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top