Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 5:25:13 PM EDT
I'm old and decrepit [xx(] but I'm still curious...

How old can an individual be before he/she is too old to apply for LE positions?  What are the general background requirements?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you know anything about anything keep your mouth shut or you can hang it up.

The classes are easy and it dose not take much to get in,I had to take a TABE test[rolleyes]

The only thing is they have this thing about new guys,if you want to be seen as a human then you have an attitude.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Our basic requirements are high school, no felony convictions, no domestic violence convictions.

But in reality you better be a Veteran or have at least 60 units of college credit, and never had more than a traffic ticket.

We will give a badge to just about any woman who can scale a 6' wall.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Requirements for LE jobs vary dramatically depending on the agency.

I have a vague recollection of some California PD (LAPD maybe) raising its age limit from 38 to 40 or something like that.

The federal limit is generally 37 since most federal LEO’s must retire at 57 and need 20 years of service to do so.  However, the Sky Marshalls just raised their limit to 40 (probably to pick up military retirees).

Also the federal government has LEO’s who are not entitled to LEO retirement and thus can be picked up at just about any age.  However, these jobs are generally glorified security guard positions.

Regardless of the stated age limit, expect to be discriminated against if you’re an older person.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to check out LAPD's site...good info on requirements for most large size agency's..but of course not all.

[url]www.lapdonline.org[/url]

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Aw, heck, sushi ain't that bad, is it? [puke]

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top