Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 2:14:26 PM EDT
Do your departments write up accidents which occur in parking lots on private property when there are no injuries or criminal acts?

Due to the inability of our dispatchers to explain to the victims of private property accidents to exchange information because we do not write a report on parking lot fender benders, the front office has decided that "Poof!" we will now investigate an accident we did not witness that happened on private property where no crime has been committed. In short we will charge them a few dollars for information that they could exchange for free at the scene. However, even though I do not agree with this I keep an open mind and would like to know if this is the policy of other departments.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
We always do them as a citizen service. We use an abbreviated accident form and don't draw a diagram.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
We do respond to private property accidents (why I have no idea).We use small 3x5 size cards, referred to as pink cards (their color), for the involved parties to swap information. These cards are printed with places for personal info, i.e. Dl number, name, address, insurance, etc...

FWIW, we also use (provide) these cards on all accidents. Full accident reports are only filed when death or injury has occurred.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
We have an abbreviated report for PP. If there is injury, DUI, no O.L., leaving the scene we use the full OH-1 which is a standard crash report used through out the state. PP reports are a public service and not required. It is Dept. policy that we will respond.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless someone is drunk or seriously injured, we hand out the "blue form," a self-service accident report. A good officer can clear most other accidents with these, too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
We have the officer write down both drivers info and gives a NCR copy to both of them, we do not keep a copy, this is just a service to them, we used to do a full report but I got that changed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
On private property we just make sure that they exchange information and issue "blue forms' to parties involved.

Karl
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
State crash reports on public roadways. Seperate less detailed private lot accident report with no diagram on private lots.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys,
This has been a hot topic with Patrol from the beginning. It appears that the problem is that when those few officers that do write these PPA's turn them in, the victims end up realizing they paid for information they could have obtained at the scene for free. The Officer is usually the one that hears the complaint not the administration that is responsible for the policy.

We have always helped the victims exchange the proper information when there is tension between the victims. However, I will speak to them( admin) again about their policy of charging for this service.

Thanks

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,
This has been a hot topic with Patrol from the beginning. It appears that the problem is that when those few officers that do write these PPA's turn them in, the victims end up realizing they paid for information they could have obtained at the scene for free. The Officer is usually the one that hears the complaint not the administration that is responsible for the policy.

We have always helped the victims exchange the proper information when there is tension between the victims. However, I will speak to them( admin) again about their policy of charging for this service.

Thanks

[beer]
View Quote

One helpful thing we do, regardless of what type of accident it is (and whether or not we are going to do a written report) is hand out "courtesy forms" that have all of the mandatory exchange information on them. It gives the victims something to do besides fret and wander into traffic while you are doing your investigation and waiting for the wreckers, and it also serves the citizens by getting them all of the information they need for their insurance company so they can get rental cars and all without having to wait several days for the written report. We have them fill them out and exchange them before everyone leaves. It is a good idea, though, to check them against DLs and insurance cards, because people like to try and slip in bad information.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do your departments write up accidents which occur in parking lots on private property when there are no injuries or criminal acts?
View Quote

WE try to get a simple exchange of info, but if the citizen wants a TC report we write one. just write [b]Private property[/b] in the box labled "special conditions" on the CHP555 state form.

PS..
I hate traffic!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My department uses a proprietary "Private Property Accident Report" that comes in triplicate. The original is filed with the Service Support Division, and the two copies are given to the drivers. We generally refer to it as the "short form" (as opposed to the four page state form). If the private property accident involves DWI, DUI, major monetary damage, injury/death or a violation such as Reckless Driving, then we have to do the long form for the incident.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My agency doesn't do accidents period, but the city agency does. If no drugs/alcohol/injuries are observed or if the vehicle is driveable, they won't respond.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]
In the past, our agency sent unit to the scene to exchange information for the drivers.  We used "short sheets" with the basic info on them.  Now we have a civilian (retired LEO) respond for the same purpose.  He is dispatched in a marked patrol unit and has radio contact with traffic/patrol units if he needs assistance (problem drivers, DUI's, etc.).  He also patrols for and responds to parking complaints.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes we do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top