Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2017 9:08:51 AM EDT
My SO decided today after I got home from a 12 hour shift and went sleep that she was going to help me out. She put my entire vest in the washer, then hung it on the clothes line to dry. She washed both ballistic panels, carrier, and straps. But did remove the trauma pack . The washing machine was set to delicates.

I've looked over every inch of the vest and don't see any condensation or other signs of damage other than my straps being toast.

I feel pretty confident that no water made it through the protective lining but wanted some opinions as I do have to wear it tonight.

I will of course be calling the manufacturer tomorrow to see what they say. Just sucks as the vest is only 2 months old.

Has anyone had this happen before? If so, what did the manufacturer say?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man. I would be livid
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It's fine. Think about yourself sweating in it. You soak it with sweat every hot day. She didn't hurt a thing. Go buy her dinner for being nice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's fine. Think about yourself sweating in it. You soak it with sweat every hot day. She didn't hurt a thing. Go buy her dinner for being nice.
View Quote
Not too sure that's the same thing.

I sweat like a hog and i gaurentee I've never gotten my vest as wet as putting it in the washing machine would.

I have read that a soaking wet vest (i.e. You go in a lake etc) may not stop what it is rated for.

Not sure if it's permanently affected or just till it's dry.

IIRC we had a guy fight with a bad guy in the river and our vest vendor sent him a new vest as the warranty was voided by getting soaked.

YMMV

J-

Vest info
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know Kevlar is waterproof.  As long as it was let dry and the fabric itself not damaged by the washing machine it should still be fine.  What happens after using it under a downpour rain?  Everyone throws their vests away?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Is she trying to kill you!!! Haha, jk... I'd probably get a new vest though. Soft armor does not do well with water or sweat, thus the expiration date on them. And let her know you appreciate the thought, but never do it again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
The water isn't a huge deal. I've gone overboard in armor, which I don't recommend trying at home. The fabric being bent all over will weaken the weave.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is she trying to kill you!!! Haha, jk... I'd probably get a new vest though. Soft armor does not do well with water or sweat, thus the expiration date on them. And let her know you appreciate the thought, but never do it again.
View Quote
That date has nothing to do with water or sweat...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not too sure that's the same thing.

I sweat like a hog and i gaurentee I've never gotten my vest as wet as putting it in the washing machine would.

I have read that a soaking wet vest (i.e. You go in a lake etc) may not stop what it is rated for.

Not sure if it's permanently affected or just till it's dry.

IIRC we had a guy fight with a bad guy in the river and our vest vendor sent him a new vest as the warranty was voided by getting soaked.

YMMV

J-

Vest info
View Quote
There is some decent info in that link but also some poor info.

There have been numerous tests of OLD vests....vests that are more than 20 years old and used regularly for that 20 years. They still stopped the same ballistic threats that they were rated to stop when they were made.

Personally I suspect the lifespan of 5 years is primarily to enable the manufacturers to be able to sell more vests. Then there is the liability angle as well....so all financially beneficial reasons to sell more vests. The fact remains.....vests will stop their rated threats WELL past their expiration dates.

I wouldn't trust a soaking wet vest to stop the rated threat level but the OPs vest isn't soaking wet.

I have a Point Blank vest and it has a water resistant cover on the panels. I wipe the panels with Lysol every time I wash the carrier (every 2 days in the summer) and wash the entire panels every few weeks in hot water with a tiny bit of bleach.  I don't leave it soaking for hours but I do wet the entire panels and then air dry.

I wouldn't worry if I was the OP. His vest is fine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a coworker that washed his every few weeks or so for about two years.  I put a stop to it once I learned about it.   I just asked him if he still has it.    We will shoot it and see if what happens when he remembers to bring it in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you sure your new panels are not sealed?  Most of the new vest have sealed panels that are in a waterproof outer layer and are completely submersible.  Most of the big name companies who are manufacturing to the latest testing standards are doing this on their own.  Worth checking.

If you don't have that kind- its not the water that ruins a vest. Its the soap, fabric softener, tumbling and folding in the washer; and the heat/moisture of tumbling in the dryer.  The vest is nothing but threads of Kevlar that coated and laminated through a weave into sheets.  Sheets are rotated and stacked on top of each other.  

The tumbling, bending and rotating from a washing machine does not mimic real life activities.  These vest are stiff for a reason.  Add in it not only bending, but the soap and fabric softener weakens the laminate threads bonding to each other.  It wears and eats away at the laminate and thins it.  Once it wears, the threads don't bod to each other nor have their stiffness.  The once stiff solid and flat sheet of fabric now as a weak spot.  The dryer adds heat and water and steam further ruins the bond in each sheet and between layers.  

Will it still be OK?  Sure- but no manufacturer will warranty such or be liable should it fail.  Murphy's law is never on our side when we get shot- getting hot in the side gap, just above or below the vest, etc...  What are the chance a round hits a weak spot and penetrates?  Gamble some would take- others would not.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
well OP...what did the manufacturer say?? hope you came up with a good line of duty story and didn't go with the washing machine, haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top