Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 1:08:39 PM EDT
So question on procedures/protocols on this. If a cop's wife says he(husband/city cop) hit her and files charges; What is the typical treatment? Does guy lose gun and badge while external investigation (say state troopers) happens?

Say wheels of justice turn slow and he is still pending trial 3 months later does he still drive a desk? What happens after/if exonerated at trail?

Do  judges changing charge to something not DV related(simple assault or similar to not cost guy his job?) and let the pending divorce happen so as to save the state from a potential deadbeat/unemployed ex husband?

How much say does the victim have in things?
I'm not a cop but I was thinking about my divorce("sign these now or I'll say you hit me even though it would be a lie, you don't wanna get dragged into that) and how I still miss my dog.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
He gets his guns taken, can't work until he can have them back...and the state attorney goes through all kinds of shennanigans to railroad a cop... Typically a DV case, the victim doesn't cooperate and the case eventually dies. When cops are involved, the State attorney goes on the victim's behalf and gets a restraining order, then they talk to cops attorney and say "oh yeah, victim is pissed and wants you in jail" (in other words they lie)....cop can't talk to the "victim" to confirm...meanwhile they victim again isn't cooperating but the state is hoping the cop gets nervous and pleas so they can put a cop's head up on their wall...

Domestic violence is a complete joke....state set up a system where people go to jail without any real solid evidence or witnesses...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in 2006 my then wife accused me of pointing a gun at her. I was put on a desk for a week then fired. Case was dropped due to lack of evidence since it didn't happen and her and her daughter(only witness) couldn't lie right on their statements. I had the restraining order against me and wife kept calling me wanting to talk. I had to call the DA to tell her to stop calling me and that she was violating the order. They did nothing. Any DV case and the man is automatically guilty. Fuck police chiefs, sheriffs, DA's and all other politicians and lying bitches.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
We take their weapons and credentials and put them on paid admin leave while we do an internal investigation.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Rubber gun squad doing mindless paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We take their weapons and credentials and put them on paid admin leave while we do an internal investigation.
View Quote
The court can clear the accused of charges and the department can still discipline and/or terminate for violation of policies. How likely it is to happen depends on the agency and the environment. Some state licensing commissions can pull a police certification for charges or even a protective order.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^^This in most Fed agencies.

Had a guy in my old agency went through a really bad divorce. He started going to his parent's house on his way home from work and locking up his gun there. Then would stop on his way in to work and pick it up. He didn't tell his wife he started doing this. One day she went off the deep end and called the police and when they showed up she said "Hes a federal agent, he pulled out his gun and threatened me, said he was gonna shoot me!!".
My coworker waited until she was all done and even asked her again to tell the cop exactly what happened. Then he told the cops he didn't have any guns in the house, and they had his permission to search the whole house including his car. He told then where they were and even said he would give them the keys to the lock box so they could go and verify his guns were there...
She was arrested for making a false report, he was free to go, and the agency had him on desk duty for three months till they finished their own investigation...

Its a shitty system (DV cases and the law) because of what happened years ago with cops and social services blowing off calls and women getting killed the next day. Unfortunately, like everything else, instead of finding a sensible middle ground, the system swung so far the other way the only way a guy isn't getting locked up is if he wears a body cam 24/7...

Even after so many false arrests and proven false allegations, most places will error on the side of caution and pull guns and creds for a long time until they are 100% positive there is no possible liability for the agency.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do  judges changing charge to something not DV related(simple assault or similar to not cost guy his job?) and let the pending divorce happen so as to save the state from a potential deadbeat/unemployed ex husband?
View Quote

As long as force is an element in the pled charge, it meets the federal criteria. Removing the word of DV does not remove the charge from making him/her a prohibited person. Big issue with people pleading to a charge that still prohibits them from possessing firearms.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As long as force is an element in the pled charge, it meets the federal criteria. Removing the word of DV does not remove the charge from making him/her a prohibited person. Big issue with people pleading to a charge that still prohibits them from possessing firearms.
View Quote
So poor bastard is either beat EVERYTHING or see if home depot is hiring... sucks. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
here you get your guns taken, then you get transferred and no OT...takes a minimum of 18 months, but usually 24+ to get cleared up and get your guns back...then usually another transfer is shortly in your future...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top