Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 10:55:25 AM EDT
Hey guys, we just had our yearly refresher training on SAVE team and practiced dragging each other down a hall and around corners but didn't do any stairs.  One of the guys asked about how we would handle stairs and we got a lame answer that doesn't seem like it would work.  So I was wondering if any of you knew the best way to handle stairs from the point of view of the firefighter dragging the victim.  Please don't answer from the viewpoint of LEO as this forum is open and I would rather keep that info out of the public domain.

The way I was thinking of handling it was to have the patient do down feet first with me at the head controlling the descent.  When I reach a landing I would just work it around until I was again going down with the patient feet first.  Also, is there any reason I couldn't take a towel to help pad the patient's head from the stairs?  It would only take a second or so to stuff the towel under his head right when I went to pick him up.

Another question is are you guys using the hard rolled up plastic drag platform or are you using the soft roll up one?  I am personally fond of the hard plastic one as it slides so much better and the way ours is set up I can deploy it much faster.

Thanks to any that can give tips or advice as our training officer is a dick and about as useful as tits on a boar.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you in turnout gear.and scba or station clothes?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
We are in station gear wearing vests and the helmet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
So Joker581 to make sure I am understanding you if there is only one person dragging the victim you would go head first down the stairs?  The way we are training it is one rescuer per victim so unless they were huge and we had everyone else out it would just be one person.

Thanks for the responses guys.  We don't do this training much and I am trying to formulate the best method as I cover a high value target and could have to use this one day that I hope never arrives.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
We are using a hard plastic sled looking thing that slides pretty well on the hard floor.  It has straps to hold them in place so you do not have to directly grab the patient you are doing all your manipulation by the drag ropes.  I will see if I can find a picture to post.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It isn't this one but is very similar except it rolls up and has a carry handle / strap that enables you to sling it over your shoulder when you go in.  I am thinking once they get all the training done to ask if we can borrow one of them on shift and go over to some stairs with a mannequin to practice.  That way if something goes wrong no one is hurt.

http://skedco.com/product/sked-basic-rescue-system-international-orange/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top