Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 10:30:42 PM EDT
Is there not a company that makes picatinny adapters that clip to your helmet? Streamlights current lights are one piece units and only 125 lumens. I've got a few of the 800 lumen models I'd love to try out in a training burn next week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC I had a mount from Streamlight that screwed to my helmet- Gave all that stuff away when retired so no pic.

PS--- JB Weld it on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm gonna try the Streamlight strap and put a HL-X through it to see how it works. If it sucks I'll have a good handheld.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Even though the lumens are "low" I find the streamlight fire helmet light to work great.

In my opinion with high lumen LED lights all you do is illuminate smoke, and if there is no smoke 100-200 works well for my needs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the Streamilghts certified? Everything we were issued was certified spark proof for flammable atmospheres.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the Streamilghts certified? Everything we were issued was certified spark proof for flammable atmospheres.
View Quote
The term you want to look into is "intrinsically safe."

I know at least some Streamlight products are.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Something like this.
http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-153/issue-1/departments/technology-today/flashlight-approvals-and-ratings-what-do-they-mean.html
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
My streamlight is bright enough to work and blinds the guy behind me when I turn around. I would save 800 lumens for a handheld or clip on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I have too. It has the taillight and has to be able to take water and heat so a weapon light would sort of work but... this won't turn off if you bump it, can be turned on with gloves and it doesn't cost more than a cheap weapon light anyway. The only thing I'd like improved is to make it easier to swap batteries. That little clip sucks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
All your coworkers will hate you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's what I have too. It has the taillight and has to be able to take water and heat so a weapon light would sort of work but... this won't turn off if you bump it, can be turned on with gloves and it doesn't cost more than a cheap weapon light anyway. The only thing I'd like improved is to make it easier to swap batteries. That little clip sucks.
View Quote
I'll give the vantage a go and see how it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All your coworkers will hate you.
View Quote
They're the ones who thought it'd be cool
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I run a Surefire 6PX Pro in a blackjack mount. Light is dual mode so 15 lumens for up close stuff and 320 for other.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
We all use the streamlight vantage.  Anything brighter is too bright for interior firefighting.  

The blue light on the back of the vantage is great from an officer perspective.  I can easily locate my guys when moving into the structure behind them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
By the way. Hang it under the helmet instead of on top.  

Stays clean and clear and doesn't gook on stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah. Put it on the side that you don't normally drag hose with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Do any of you use the knucklehead? It might be half off right now on Amazon. How does it compare to the survivor? Any advantage to the haz-lo? It looks like a more focused lower lumen than the regular model. I'm mainly looking at the fire spot model which is orange and has the clip at the top.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I wear a traditional helmet.  I put one of these on last year. Has 4 modes and uses 3 different battery types if needed without an adapter. Take the gear clip that comes with it and force it onto the brim past the rubber on your helmet. It will stay put.  Easily detaches also so you can wear it on a head band or hat.  I use it on medical calls on my hat and on fires on my helmet.  Really awesome light that the military issues

im me if you need more pics

Sidewinder II
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Pics of sidewinder II.   If your dept does not want CR123 it runs great on AA. Also sealed and meets milspec ratings. 

Streamlight does not market for fire helmets but it fits.  The mount allows you to quick detach the light by pressing down. Also it will rotate 360?and angle 180 degrees so you can move it as you need.  I dont like the pistol light because its fixed to your helmet permanantly
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the issue with 123A thermal runaway? I was in a burn box that I was told was 750 degrees and I assumed the sensor was at the top. I asked later and it was at the bottom Kind of wondered about that. I had the light on, it handled it ok. I'm fresh out of bad puns about trial by fire.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is what we use:

http://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/vantage-2011_logoed.jpg?sfvrsn=0

I'd love to see a similar mount system that would let me dual-purpose a TLR, but I haven't seen one yet.
View Quote
I've used one of these they work well if your looking for just a mount might look at the black jack mounts.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/search.aspx?keywords=black%20jack
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Its not as fancy as what you're looking at,  but, I have used the streamlight 4aa led on the metal mount, for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I run a Surefire 6PX Pro in a blackjack mount. Light is dual mode so 15 lumens for up close stuff and 320 for other.  
View Quote
I love the Blackjack mount, been using one version or another since they first hit the market.  Currently have a Streamlight PolyTac and have been really pleased and like having 2 options for output.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a little update. Been using the Vantage 180 since this post and it's been doing well. I also tried out the Protac HL X on 400 lumen mode it worked well but holy shit does it heat up. I'll keep the Vantage on my helmet and just leave the HL in my jacket pocket.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got a little update. Been using the Vantage 180 since this post and it's been doing well. I also tried out the Protac HL X on 400 lumen mode it worked well but holy shit does it heat up. I'll keep the Vantage on my helmet and just leave the HL in my jacket pocket.
View Quote
How does the light seem like it would be when rotated to the 90 degree position?  Was thinking about getting one to replace my PolyTac 90 on my coat when it finally dies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Thirty years ago, all these high power mini flashlights didn't exist. I bought a Streamlight SL-20 and it was great. Very true that the greater light output reflected a lot in the smoke. It also resulted in a side effect I didn't count on. The nozzle guys from the other companies kept hosing me cause they saw the glow through the smoke.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How does the light seem like it would be when rotated to the 90 degree position?  Was thinking about getting one to replace my PolyTac 90 on my coat when it finally dies.
View Quote
@jcast141

I actually does pretty well. It's stiff so it stays in whatever position you twist it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@jcast141

I actually does pretty well. It's stiff so it stays in whatever position you twist it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jcast141

Good deal, may have to pony up for one here soon then
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
exact setup for me too. works well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Had a vantage on last night at a structure fire. It was dang cold out and my scba cracked after the regulator froze to the dock on my mask. It was a 70s double wide and nasty overhaul. That stinking light was awesome all night when usually I would have wanted more lumens. Night before I held c spine on a mva and was able to light up the open fracture for my captain to splint without blinding him. Awesome do it all light.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is what we use:

http://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/vantage-2011_logoed.jpg?sfvrsn=0

I'd love to see a similar mount system that would let me dual-purpose a TLR, but I haven't seen one yet.
View Quote
I use this and a yellow streamlight in blackjack mount.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Underwater kinetics 4 AA on my Cairns 1010, 21 years and counting. Stay safe my brothers
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top