Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:53 AM EDT
I was wanting to see how many local and Federal LEO's out there have a CCW/CHL and are active on there department?

I remember being told something when I was in training that it was not recommend that you have a CCW/CHL I don't remember the reason why they gave us I assume it has to do with if you had an off duty shooting.

I'd like to hear what you all have to say!I'm mostly looking at the CCW/CHL for firearm purchase and so I can get my suppresser mailed to my residence and not have to take a three hour drive. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have one before my state made CCW permits optional.  I only got it to save a few mins when buying a new gun from a dealer, but these days the electronic NICS check takes less than five minutes so I just let mine expire.  When I retire I will likely get another one for reciprocity purposes in addition to LEOSA.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I got one because in WY that will pass for the NICS check.  But I haven't found a shop that wont do the check even if you have the permit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Back when I started 29 years ago we bought our sidearms. While you could possess a handgun on your badge that was generally discouraged as it placed reporting requirements on the agency. So applying for a permit was a normal part of being hired. Of course they weren't full carry permits at the time either. The local judges weren't issuing those, even to LEO's. My permit wasn't unrestricted until around two years ago
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Many, many years ago we were allowed to carry our personal weapons off duty w/o a CCW, but we had to qualify with them.  Then a newly elected SJW Sheriff decided that off duty carry was racist.  I quit shortly thereafter, as did a lot of others.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope no CPL (Michigan's version of a CCW permit) required for LE/Retired LE to carry concealed. Just dept credentials (works just like a totally unrestricted CPL).

J-
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I do, but I got it before I was hired on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd like to hear what you all have to say!I'm mostly looking at the CCW/CHL for firearm purchase and so I can get my suppresser mailed to my residence and not have to take a three hour drive. Thanks
View Quote

You might want to look into this..... A suppressor is considered a firearm and a suppressor is NFA. I can't think of a single provision that would allow an NFA device to be mailed directly to an individuals house CHL/CWP or not.... But I am willing to learn.

As for CHL. Yes, I have one. No real reason other than it is easy to get.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might want to look into this..... A suppressor is considered a firearm and a suppressor is NFA. I can't think of a single provision that would allow an NFA device to be mailed directly to an individuals house CHL/CWP or not.... But I am willing to learn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(I am not an LEO)

In states where state law allows it, it is possible for certain NICS exempt transactions to be completed via 4473 Pt 2 (Firearms Transaction Record, Not Over the Counter) and for the firearm to be delivered to the purchaser.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
(I am not an LEO)

In states where state law allows it, it is possible for certain NICS exempt transactions to be completed via 4473 Pt 2 (Firearms Transaction Record, Not Over the Counter) and for the firearm to be delivered to the purchaser.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(I am not an LEO)

Wow... Thanks. I clearly have not lived in a State that allows that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have one, but I'm going to apply for mine next month.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had one from the moment they existed in my state.

We're at will, and you never knew if you'd have a job post-election. I was pretty active, and I didn't want to be without should I got bounced.

I can't think of a single reason why having a permit would be a detriment if you were a full time guy, though. There was some spirited discussion behind the strip malls over whether it would be smarter to claim leo in an off-duty shooting vs. doing it as a citizen; I never saw a real good argument for either path, really.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If I get the admin strips me for something then at least I have a CHL\CCW permit still.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I get the admin strips me for something then at least I have a CHL\CCW permit still.
View Quote
That's also an excellent argument for owning your own pistol in places where it's a little harder to get, and you get an issue weapon, too...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes. And so does a buddy of mine that works for a city agency...

I'm glad this thread is here. Mine expires next month. Gotta turn in the papers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I know of at least one federal agency that only allows their issued duty weapon to be carried off-duty. So they get CHLs so they can carry other smaller weapons of their choice, but must conform to the CHL restrictions, I'm sure.

Here's a scenario that would put us in a bind with our policy: No one can carry off duty and consume any alcohol, which makes sense. But if you happen to stop at a buddy's house and have a beer or two in the garage and then head home. Loaded pistol in the console (not even on your person) would be a policy violation since you're keeping that pistol loaded in your vehicle under your law enforcement privilege without a CHL. That's nothing compared to having to draw on or even shoot a thug but would equate to just as much disciplinary action.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I have one. Don't need it, unless of course I would get suspended for some reason, then my LE credentials would not allow me to carry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes. In case I decide on the spur of the moment to quit and do something else.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I had mine for 17 years before I was commissioned.

I still have it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Back when I started 29 years ago we bought our sidearms. While you could possess a handgun on your badge that was generally discouraged as it placed reporting requirements on the agency. So applying for a permit was a normal part of being hired. Of course they weren't full carry permits at the time either. The local judges weren't issuing those, even to LEO's. My permit wasn't unrestricted until around two years ago
View Quote
That must have depended on the county. Everyone I knew that had one in Oswego were unrestricted then.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That must have depended on the county. Everyone I knew that had one in Oswego were unrestricted then.
View Quote
Tompkins County.
Back around 1987 a guy with a valid unrestricted permit defended himself against a couple of muggers in an alleyway. Pumped a few FMJ into them. The sitting judges at the time flipped out and started overstamping all permits and limiting them to hunting/target shooting. A year or so later I got my permit which was restricted. Made an appointment with the judge to appeal the restrictions. He read through the law regarding exemptions like large amounts of cash, etc. I didn't qualify for anyone of those and he declared that Ithaca wasn't the wild west and no one should be carrying guns on the streets. So for about 26 years I carried on the badge until I got the overstamp removed finally.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Many, many years ago we were allowed to carry our personal weapons off duty w/o a CCW, but we had to qualify with them.  Then a newly elected SJW Sheriff decided that off duty carry was racist.  I quit shortly thereafter, as did a lot of others.
View Quote
Wtf??? Y'all weren't allowed to carry off duty? Or was it that you were required to carry only your duty weapon? We are bound by policy to carry if we are in city limits... on or off duty. We can carry the issued G21 or qualify with a personal weapon that meets caliber requirements and is approved by the chief
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep. A plus.

LEOSA still allows local govt restrictions. There are some laws that have exemptions for CCW holders and no mention of out of state LE. With reciprocity, these are little areas one often overlooks.

The best part is my state controls NICS access and charges $25 for a background check. A CCW exempts you from that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a Texas CHL while I was still active. My dept had a short list of approved off duty weapons and mandated what ammo could be carried. Off duty guns had to be qualified with annually. With my CHL I carried what I wanted under the CHL instead of my ODO status.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
In the county where I live, the county police issues the CHL. They have decided they won't issue a CHL to Feds as we already have an unrestricted carry license... Only when you are ready to retire will they issue a Retired LE CHL....

Makes no sense, but then again, I also have no desire to spend $400+ to get the permit then another $150 every five years to renew it, plus the couple week wait and $25 charge to add a pistol to it whenever I get something new...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I do. I had it before I became LEO though. It is still nice to have because when I go buy a firearm, it makes the process go way quicker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Never needed a CCW. I've been able to carry off duty/concealed since I started 27 years ago. Long before my state, Ohio, had concealed carry for everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was wanting to see how many local and Federal LEO's out there have a CCW/CHL and are active on there department?

I remember being told something when I was in training that it was not recommend that you have a CCW/CHL I don't remember the reason why they gave us I assume it has to do with if you had an off duty shooting.

View Quote

Check with the BATFE about having a suppressor delivered to your house. It's been a few years since I bought my last one, but at that time any NFA transfer had to take place at the dealers place of business.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a lot of LEO friends that have a HL aka CHL. They never mentioned any of your concerns, but keep it for several reasons including buying. Texas even has a discount for LEO's IIRC, so the AG isn't too concerned.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top