Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2017 11:58:20 PM EDT
Any water patrol or maritime unit guys on here? Working on finding a new boat for our agency and wonder what everyone is running for boats? Looking around the 24 ft range with twin engines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Boston Whalers are popular around here but I'm not a marine guy. Maybe ask your game and fish guys what they run?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We run a Whaler with a 150 on it. It's comfortable enough to run all day. we stay in the main channels and deeper waters, where the recreational boaters are. It was bought used. Look at marinas in Minnesota or upper Wisconsin that are on lakes, Or Lake Pepin area for used boats. Where in WI are you?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I work with our game and fish guys fairly often. They run a center console intrepid 24ft, very nice but boat but I'm looking for something a little different. Interested in something with a collar around the hull to such as the Brunswick Impact 750 D or Metal Shark 24 Relentless. Have been putting a lot of time trying to research the different companies out there that supply your typical law enforcement patrol boat but really isn't a lot of information. Looked into Notrth River, Brunswick Boats (Boston Whaler), Metal Shark, Silver Ships and Zodiac MilPro.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
There's also Safeboat. If you want a ton of info on small boat operations and LE, Coast Guard manuals are the way to go.

Here's the link to the USCG Directives Systems Program Office. CG-612

Some examples that may apply are:
Boat Crew Seamanship Manual, COMDTINST M16114.5
Boat Operations and Training Manual, COMDTINST M16114.32
Non-Standard Boat Operator's Handbook, CIM_16114_28
Boat Forces Personnel Qualification Standard, CIM_16114_30
Defender Class Boat Operator's Manual, CIM_16114_37B
The master list is the DPRI, COMDTNOTE 5600

It's not the end-all be-all, but it's not a bad place to start.

There are also some For Official Use Only manuals that apply; but you'll need to file an agency request with CG-612 to get access to those.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Austin PD has a large marine patrol (Three lakes)  The fleet is all Whalers from 18' to 24'. The latter are Outrages with twin 200hp motors, very nice boats.

Stay away from Mercury Verado engines, the problems are many.  Go Yamaha.  Brunswick Marine will bitch, (Whaler comes with Mercury engines)  but they will sell you the bare hull and you can take it to a Yamaha dealer for re-power.

NASBLA offers driving and safety courses you will find useful.   Training.

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you the phone# and contact info for the unit's Sgt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top