Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 6:39:51 PM EDT
Anyone know of any agencies that have k9s assigned to their jail?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It would probably have to be a pretty big one.  Normally, they'd just call one in off the street.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, the agency I used to work for has a contingency of 7 canines. inmate population was between 1150 and 1380 bodies with a capacity for approximately 1800..
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
We have one... I think they use it for cell phones.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes, the agency I used to work for has a contingency of 7 canines. inmate population was between 1150 and 1380 bodies with a capacity for approximately 1800..
View Quote
My jail is slightly smaller 1500 bed
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have one... I think they use it for cell phones.
View Quote
Cell phones and drugs..
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone is willing to share the department policy for jail use with me I would be much appreciated.

County government email address of course.

I am thinking of pitching a plan to the powers that be.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
1 dog was in the visiting room sniffing both sides (prisoner & visitors) everyday. Sometimes there would be 2 dogs doing it. 2 dogs and handlers were on loan to the feds and were off property 95% of the time. the remaining 3 dogs were on exterior patrol unless a major shakedown was going on, or some type of extreme violence that needed to be quelled. At that point, and only under the direction of the sheriff were the dogs allowed into the housing areas.
The dogs in the visiting room were all labs, the patrol dogs were all shepherds/malinois and were mean as all fuck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked at a 370 bed jail that had a full time Corrections K-9 Deputy.

Dog was a yellow lab, was not allowed to have direct contact with inmates, and was used to search inmate property on intake and housing units.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
New Jersey Dept. Of Corrections has a few dogs. They are not assigned to any one facility. They are mobile as they respond to any place in the state.
I know some of the officers since we all worked together in Special Operations.

They are used for Patrol, Tracking, Riot Control, Cell Phone , Drugs, and Bomb Detection.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My department has a K9 assigned to the jail. Searches for drugs and finds them daily. The mail is where most of it comes in. The rest is brought in internally.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
We have 2 or 3 K9's for the entire province.
They're mobile so they go where they're requested to do searches.
Before we started our own K9 program we'd get the local detachment of the provincial police to come in and run their dogs...
Even now if tge situation warrants our K9 teams and the cops will come in together to search
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top