Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I need some recommendations for a CPR mask. My agency only gives out those keychain face shields which I think are a pain in the you know what to use. So what I'm wanting is a pocket style mask. It won't be used with a bag.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand from recent CPR certification that breathing is no longer a recommended component and compression is all that's involved. Are you guys still being taught to do mouth to mouth as part of it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah you don't have to use the breathing anymore.
Having said that get you an ambu bag.
Drop by the ER or ask an EMT out on a call to give you one.
I keep one in a bag in the trunk. Have used them a few times.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand from recent CPR certification that breathing is no longer a recommended component and compression is all that's involved. Are you guys still being taught to do mouth to mouth as part of it?
View Quote
When I did my re-cert in October breaths were still part of the practical.

We typically don't respond to medical calls unless the person is in dire need of medical attention (ie. not breathing, unresponsive, OD) where we can arrive before EMS.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you haven't made friends in your local ambulance bay, you're already behind the curve.  I bought a bag for my car and for $20, they filled it completely up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Without an advanced airway you're probably just filling up their stomach anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't worry too much about a pocket mask, if you are feeling exceptionally Ricky Rescue go with the BVM.

As stated above, compressions are the way to go anymore. Especially with witnessed arrests, your oxygen hemoglobin saturation is enough that you can go upwards of 5 minutes without any serious airway interventions. Position the head properly while doing CPR and you will still get air movement with the compressions, albeit minimal.

Even for us medics we are only tossing in an airway device, OPA or NPA and applying a face mask with 15 liters of O2 for the first 4-5 minutes of an arrest anyway. We focus on early and uninterrupted chest compressions, defibrillation, and IV access for arrest meds, all before we even consider any advanced airways or manual ventilation. They are even frowning on field intubations anymore because of how long they take while no CPR is being performed. They are pushing LMA's and King's on us in a big way because they can be done without halting compressions and are damn near idiot proof.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
As a volunteer firefighter in the nineties, I used one of the little keychain guys to start CPR by myself on two separate occasions. The first occasion, the guy lived for about 6 months then went into cardiac arrest again and died. The second time, he was dead and stayed dead.

After that, I bought a bag valve mask of the same type my department used and the rescue squads and County EMS used so I could get a replacement if I use mine. Of course after that, I never had to start one man CPR ever again.

Buy a BVM and keep away the dead guys
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]
This style has always done me right.  No fluids and a good seal.

Amazon Product
  • Hard Case with Wrist Strap
  • Includes Mask & Valve
  • Includes Gloves & Alcohol Wipe

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah you don't have to use the breathing anymore.
Having said that get you an ambu bag.
Drop by the ER or ask an EMT out on a call to give you one.
I keep one in a bag in the trunk. Have used them a few times.
View Quote
OP, PM me your address and I'll just send you a few... pocket face mask and plastic face shields. The key to the supply closet is 'hidden' on the shelf next to the door for a reason 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an ambu bag in my trucks medkit. NEVER do mouth to mouth with no barrier. Too many things out there that you can catch.
View Quote
I'll respectfully raise you one further and say never do mouth to mouth with anything but a real ambu bag/pocket face mask. The plastic face shields are shit and actual people aren't clean, sterile and completely free of any bodily fluids being aspirated out of their mouth and nose all over the place like the pretty little mannequins are.

I carry one of those micro mini plastic face shields on my keychain, and its there only for use for those on 'the list' (loved ones, people I know and care about) and even then only when protocol dictates. Otherwise I have pretty much stashed pocket face masks everywhere you can think of, and even then its realistically only gonna get used if/when a second rescuer shows up anyway. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the CPR pocket mask made by a company called Laerdal.  Here is a link:

http://www.laerdal.com/us/doc/113/Laerdal-Pocket-Mask
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
NOTHING, you are better off doing continuous compressions to keep the pressure up in the heart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top