Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 7:04:31 PM EDT
Hey there,

It looks like my company might transfer me to Phoenix.  I currently live in Iowa. I have a couple of questions for you all.

1.  A couple of people in our office told me to look in the Gilbert area for houses and schools.  IWe have two kids. One in HS and one in Jr HS.  What are your thoughts on the Gilbert area?  Also any other areas we should be looking at for good schools, neighborhoods, etc.?  We are looking at houses in the $280 - $350 range.

2.  I'm currently a reserve deputy in Iowa.  What are the reserve opportunities in Phoenix?  I read that Phoenix PD has a reserve force does any other city's or counties?  Anyone here a reserve in AZ?  I would be curious to know what your duties are, how do you like the job, etc.  any places I should not apply too?

Thanks for your assistance
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Gilbert is not a bad choice. Good parts and bad.  County has a reserve program. Don't know what the new Sheriff is like.
Where is work going to be? Getting into downtown from that area is a pain most mornings.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey there,

It looks like my company might transfer me to Phoenix.  I currently live in Iowa. I have a couple of questions for you all.

1.  A couple of people in our office told me to look in the Gilbert area for houses and schools.  IWe have two kids. One in HS and one in Jr HS.  What are your thoughts on the Gilbert area?  Also any other areas we should be looking at for good schools, neighborhoods, etc.?  We are looking at houses in the $280 - $350 range.

2.  I'm currently a reserve deputy in Iowa.  What are the reserve opportunities in Phoenix?  I read that Phoenix PD has a reserve force does any other city's or counties?  Anyone here a reserve in AZ?  I would be curious to know what your duties are, how do you like the job, etc.  any places I should not apply too?

Thanks for your assistance
View Quote

Phoenix metro area is so geographically spread out there could be 50 different parts that fit that price range and other criteria. I am preferential to North Phoenix area. Although Gilbert does have some decent track home subdivisions. I would be more than happy to hook you up with a decent real estate agent if you would like or if you want to IM me I could give you the scoop on some homes/areas you are looking at.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Gilbert is a very nice town.  I live in Chandler, immediately to the west of Gilbert.  Good schools and a decent clean city.  Low crime, nice people.  I'm a fed now, so I can't comment on the reserve situation much, but I'd assume pretty much any PD in the valley would have a reserve program.  PM me if you have any specific questions or need help getting settled in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Chandler is a nice area also but if I could I would live in Queen Creek.
Our Sheriff office has a reserve deputy program, you work 20 hrs a month for free then you can work the paid details anywhere in the county
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the reply.  i'll check out Queen Creek.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our Sheriff office has a reserve deputy program, you work 20 hrs a month for free then you can work the paid details anywhere in the county
View Quote
Why do you prefer Queen Creek?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Argh!  Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
OP I lived there for 5 years and loved it.  

Phoenix is HUGE, you will need to pick your area based on your employment.  It is an hour drive across town using the interstate roads.  Out west you will have Luke AFB and the F35 noise (sound of freedom and all) central Phoenix, you need to be rich or a gang banger, and eastern Phoenix break out the checkbook.

I lived in the Arrowhead (northwest) area and it was great 15 years ago.  Things have grown a ton now though.  I was stationed at Luke.  

There is a GREAT range north of town Ben Avery with everything under the sun, from archery to LONG range stuff.  I wish I had that place in my AOR now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top