Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 3:42:37 PM EDT
Hoping you guys can shed some light... I've always had a calling to join the military but was disqualified due to health issues back when I was 18. Fast forward, I'm 27, am certified on various fielded UAV's and also have been on SWAT for 3 years as a reserve. I love what I do but still feel like I have a skill set that is not being taken advantage of.

I am wondering what my options are realistically at this age in the military. I have my mind dead set on special operations of some sort if that's the path I am to take.

Am I better off looking for a private gig overseas?

I was hoping you guys with similar certifications and LE/SWAT experience can give me some ideas.

General responses here in the thread are fine but I'd be happy to exchange more detailed info via PM/email.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You would definitely be paid more in private contract work if money is what you are looking for.  But if you have the heart to serve as I have then I say go for it.

I enlisted at 34 so if you're physically and mentally ready it won't be an issue.  I was top of my class in OSUT among 18-22yr olds.

Good luck!  Either way I'm sure with your skillset you have many options, especially at your age.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would definitely be paid more in private contract work if money is what you are looking for.  But if you have the heart to serve as I have then I say go for it.

I enlisted at 34 so if you're physically and mentally ready it won't be an issue.  I was top of my class in OSUT among 18-22yr olds.

Good luck!  Either way I'm sure with your skillset you have many options, especially at your age.
View Quote
Thank you for the encouraging words!

I've tried to stay in the best shape I can between crossfit and our current team pt requirements. I like to think that is sufficient for anything that may come in the future.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
What health issues disqualified you originally?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
As I remember Chris Kyle joined the Navy when he was 36 and became a SEAL. I believe age is only a number, at least to a certain point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top