Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 5:26:07 PM EDT
Everyone seems to have their go to frisk position. Some prefer to place a suspects hand behind their head, others behind their back. Lean them forward? Backwards? Use a wall/car? Leverage/control positions? What are your go to positions?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I never had a specific go-to position.  Always depended on the threat level of each situation and where I was physically located (inside, outside, wide open space, near a wall) etc
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Control, cuff, search.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Control, cuff, search.
View Quote
Yes... we train CREST (control, restrain, evelauate, search, transport)... but I'm asking what is your preferred control method for frisking. 
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the person honestly.

I normally if a person is fully compliant and respectful I'll have them put their hands on something ie wall/car/etc.

If I get that weird sixth sense feeling that something isn't right, they are drunk, lying etc then I'll maintain control of their closest arm to me and pat down with my other hand. I always pat down from the back of the person as it's easier for a takedown if needed
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You match the tactics to the circumstances.

Walls, spread feet, and leaning on a car fender are outdated and dangerous tactics.

Have you asked this in the secure forum? You'll probably get better answers than you will out here in the public forum. Considering how some on this site view law enforcement, tactics are kind of a touchy subject.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You shouldn't have a "go to" or preferred position.  If yo do, you are failing to analyze the situation, becoming complacent and setting yourself up for problems.

It's why accredited academies teach the fundamentals of the process, and make sure you understand the concept of position of advantage and position of disadvantage.  You then apply all three based upon the articulable facts presented at the time of the stop, to maximize your advantages and their disadvantages.

You can't and shouldnt have a one size fits all approach for every situation- there are too many variables
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top