Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 11:11:59 PM EDT
If you were the agency armorer and were allowed to decide between Gen3 or Gen4 G17s for your agencies' new issue handgun, which would you choose?

I have never been too enamored with the Gen4 backstrap system, as it seems uncomfortable, and only adds size to one small part of the grip (as opposed to say a VP9), so that isn't an advantage in my (only my) opinion.  I'm also not concerned with the issues the early Gen4 guns had, as I believe they have everything worked out by now.  I think the grip pattern on the Gen4 is a little more aggressive, which I like, but other than that, I can't decide.

If you were choosing, which, and why?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bigger mag release is a plus
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bigger mag release is a plus
View Quote

This is my favorite part of a Gen 4
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Gen 4
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
We have gen 4 Glock 19s and I like them. I'd go gen 4.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a southpaw so the new g4a are a no-brainer
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen4.  give your officers the ability to fit the gun to them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a Gen 3 fanboi for years but after getting  19.4

The tactile feel of it over the Gen 3 is just much better.  

The big mag release is also a big key especially for LEO who may be wearing gloves.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Gen 4

Ability to fit the gun to the officer, better grip, reversible magazine release... really a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen 4

Ability to fit the gun to the officer, better grip, reversible magazine release... really a no-brainer.
View Quote

All of this
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you were the agency armorer and were allowed to decide between Gen3 or Gen4 G17s for your agencies' new issue handgun, which would you choose?

I have never been too enamored with the Gen4 backstrap system, as it seems uncomfortable, and only adds size to one small part of the grip (as opposed to say a VP9), so that isn't an advantage in my (only my) opinion.  I'm also not concerned with the issues the early Gen4 guns had, as I believe they have everything worked out by now.  I think the grip pattern on the Gen4 is a little more aggressive, which I like, but other than that, I can't decide.

If you were choosing, which, and why?
View Quote

Gen 4.

The beaver tails change 2 areas of the back strap, hence 5 total options for fitment.

The mag release is not only larger, but it's reversible for your left hand shooters.

And your officers are going to be training, hopefully, getting a little sweaty.  The texture should have a benefit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Gen 4
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Gen 4, bc the bigger backstrap is the main reason I bought it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top