Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 8:34:40 PM EDT
The background.....
13 year street medic (no fire suppression), certs and instructor rated in BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, and AMLS. Have done it all except flight because gravity works.....and I might be a little big-boned.

The wife and I took the leap to be near family and are loving it. We're getting to be Grandpa and Grandma to our 16 month old granddaughter. There is a chance their location may be changing and I wanted to get an idea of the best EMS services in the country. Think of it as a professional bucket list.

I'm looking for a 911 gig, not a transfer service. I'm OK with a Fire-based service, as long as there is no smoke eating involved.

I wanted to plumb the depths of the hive-mind to know of really good services...... and those I did stay away from.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Wig
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a buddy who works for MEDIC up in North Catalonia and loves it up there, good schedule, benefits and progressive protocols from what I know.

In my area (Central Florida) I'd pretty much advise you to stay away as most are Fire Rescue agencies who require you to be dual certified.  

Others that don't are:
Manatee County EMS- 3rd service EMS provider.  Pay is ok but turnover and forced overtime are very very high.

SunStar EMS- private 911 service, very high call volume and pretty significant turnover too apparently. 12 hour shifts and they had been offering a 35k bonus if you stayed for 5 years.  Protocols have advanced somewhat.

Most other counties that have a 3rd service system are very rural so not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Best service I ever worked for was Charlton County EMS in South Georgia. Great equipment, excellent protocols and medical direction, well funded, great pay for the area, and a reasonable call volume. They have the auto lift stretcher system in every truck. About 30-45 minutes from Jacksonville.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Billings is the largest city in Montana and it uses AMR as its transporting service with fire as a backup. Fire and AMR are dispatched to every call, fire assists and AMR transports. They usually have 3 gut buggies on shift at once. During peak hours they add another. I know they are hurting for medics. Not sure what they pay. A few of the other larger cities also rely on AMR.

A lot of the counties are volunteer ambulance services around here. There are a few of them who have paid positions.
View Quote

Ha! I remember watching your screens when working in Denver. If Scott or Val are still doing your dispatch tell them I say hi!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know much  Being in rural MT most all here are volunteer.

And I doubt you're looking for a federal job (nationwide contract emergency services it sounds like?), all I know is avoid the federal jobs of being an EMT on American Indian Reservations (at least the ones in MT).     High turnaround due to crappy work conditions, and the two guys on our local VFD that work for the rez are waiting till their terms are up and ditching the area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The state of SC is currently short 4000 EMT's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Tons of good medic jobs in MN. With the exception of St. Paul and a few smaller cities being fire based, everything else is large healthcare systems, non-profits, or municipal. Usually high-paying, big variety of demographics, and decent benefits and retirement.
It's fucking MN, though, so it's cold like nine months out of the year.
NREMT reciprocity.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure. We don't have much face to face contact with our dispatchers. They are segregated from us even at st 1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I remember watching your screens when working in Denver. If Scott or Val are still doing your dispatch tell them I say hi!
Not sure. We don't have much face to face contact with our dispatchers. They are segregated from us even at st 1.
When I left 8 years ago now Denver Ops was doing the Billings dispatch. May have changed since then.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Lose some weight and start to fly. Flight nurse here and it's the best job I ever had. 2 day work week. Company actually pushes education instead of seeing it as a speed bump. High caliber self motivated coworkers. Low speed, high drag types usually don't work out well in this field and leave quickly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Ha! 911=BLS transfers with lights
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ah for AMR? If so, we have our own dispatch for the city.
View Quote
Yeah, AMR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top