Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 6:30:41 AM EDT
So recently I have been playing around with the idea of moving to TX. Cost of living where I am at in CO has sky rocketed and pretty much the only thing I can afford here anymore is a 400 square foot place...and that's on Sgt's pay. Plus I am a little bit over the snow and negative degree weather during the winter. I go to TX several times a year and have enjoyed the state and the people.

With that said, what are some good area's and agencies to look at? So far I have been digging Rockwall PD because of the benefits and pay.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Rockwall is a tiny agency. It's also a  part of the Dallas metroplex and will be overrun at some point.   Do you want to stay small or go to a bigger place?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha that not tiny for here. 80 sworn is pretty decent. Yeah you are right I didn't think of it getting swallowed up by the Dallas metro area. I think I would prefer something right around the size of 80 sworn.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Southlake PD is looking for laterals.

Ft Worth PD has a lateral and has openings

Lewisville PD is hiring.  I've heard they're starting at up to $77k for lateral experienced officers
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Rockwall cannot be absorbed by Dallas or other municipalities. It might not grow in land area as it gets surrounded, but will always be a separate entity
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rockwall cannot be absorbed by Dallas or other municipalities. It might not grow in land area as it gets surrounded, but will always be a separate entity
View Quote

Yes, but living costs, congestion and crime do not care if it's a separate entity or not.  That is coming whether Rockwall wants it or not.  It's happening to small towns around EVERY large city.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Frisco, Plano, Carrollton, Richardson, all seem to be hiring
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So recently I have been playing around with the idea of moving to TX. Cost of living where I am at in CO has sky rocketed and pretty much the only thing I can afford here anymore is a 400 square foot place...and that's on Sgt's pay. Plus I am a little bit over the snow and negative degree weather during the winter. I go to TX several times a year and have enjoyed the state and the people.

With that said, what are some good area's and agencies to look at? So far I have been digging Rockwall PD because of the benefits and pay.
View Quote
Do not apply to Dallas PD. I spent 27 long years with them, I know what I'm talking about. I've always heard good things about McKinney and Irving.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Been with League City PD (between Houston and Galveston) for over 24 years. Great place to work and live. Upper middle class city of 110k. Department has 131 sworn. We currently have 16 openings and just held a civil service exam. The next exam is in July. Link:

LCPD

Give me a call or email if you have any questions: 281-338-8228 [email protected]

Anthony
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Gents for the information. There are defiantly some agencies I haven't heard of yet that where thrown up there. We will have to see how the next year goes and maybe I'll be on my way down to Texas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do not apply to Dallas PD. I spent 27 long years with them, I know what I'm talking about. I've always heard good things about McKinney and Irving.
View Quote
Oh no, Dallas wasn't even on my list of options. I really don't want to go to an agency that big and just be a number.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
San Antonio is always hiring, but obviously it's a bit larger.   Also, DPS is hiring for southern border but I dunno if that's what you're interested in.  Finally, BP is going to be hiring another 6600 agents, they'll mostly be assigned to Texas at first but presumably you'd b able to transfer later when traffic shifts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
San Antonio is always hiring, but obviously it's a bit larger.   Also, DPS is hiring for southern border but I dunno if that's what you're interested in.  Finally, BP is going to be hiring another 6600 agents, they'll mostly be assigned to Texas at first but presumably you'd b able to transfer later when traffic shift
View Quote
Ive spent a couple months in San Antonio and wasn't the biggest fan of it. Yeah I passed on BP when I got out of the Marines, so I think I will pass again. lol 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Rockwall isn't a bad place to work. IM me if you want more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top