Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2017 10:23:49 AM EDT
A hostage standoff that unfolded in a Delaware maximum-security prison for nearly a day ended Thursday morning when police stormed the building, rescued one prison employee, and found a guard dead.

At least four prison employees were among the initial hostages after a large group of inmates took control of Building C at James T. Vaughn Correction Center in Smyrna. Two of the four were released within hours of the siege, and 46 inmates were freed during negotiations between police and the hostage-takers.

The rescued employee was recovering at a nearby hospital. She was "alive and talking," corrections officials said. At least one of the staffers freed Wednesday had injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

At least 82 inmates remained in the building early Thursday. The standoff forced Delaware to lock down all of its state prisons.

Delaware Gov. John Carney said in a statement: "I'm praying hard for the fallen officer's family. This serves as a tragic reminder that members of law enforcement risk their lives every day on behalf of the people of Delaware. We will stand by the fallen officer's family and fellow law enforcement officers during what is an extremely difficult time."
View Quote

link

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]
RIP to the fallen officer.

I can't imagine what the female CO went through inside there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
RIP CO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
This was and will forever be a very dark day for our department. The things that were done to Lt. Floyd are unspeakable...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I always keep it in the back of my head but seldom think it will happen, and I've been assaulted by inmates enough times to know better.  Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the fallen officer and his department.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top