Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2017 10:24:28 PM EDT
I don't want to come off a nerd but I am getting ready to have lower back surgery and need something to take the weight off of my hips and back. Anyone have any experience in duty belt suspenders? Recommendations? Been in le for 16 years now and don't know anything about these
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They used to have Sam Browne belts with the single over the shoulder strap.
IIRC the RCMP still uses them in their dress uniform.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be lost without my Orcas after my neck surgery 13 years ago
edit: I guess orca finally folded and is no longer an option. Shame to hear that. Thankfully I ordered spare parts for my two sets while they were still a going venture....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I wore them for the last 17 years of my career. I really think they helped my back and hips out.

I got a lot of eye rolling from a couple of younger guys, but it wasn't but a few months, and others were wearing them.
They aren't  a fashion statement, but they do help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Any set of duty belt suspenders is a wise investment if you have back problems. Blauer makes a set I've heard good things about.

Also re arrange your belt and clear any handcuffs/whatever from anywhere behind 8 o clock and 4 o clock. Also put NOTHING in the rear pockets/sap pockets while seated, not even wallets or thin gloves, sitting on the uneven stuff for a shift is very bad for your back. Add one of the padded back supports as well, you can find them in leather or nylon to match your equipment, there are many different brands. You will likely notice a huge difference with just those changes.

Lots of guys I know are getting the MOLLE vests for 'back pain' then loading them up with equipment, which is silly and counterproductive if eliminating back pain is the real goal. I wore a MOLLE vest/carrier in the army loaded with shit on the front and it was horrible for my back. Good hiking packs use a waist belt for most of the load and stabilizing support shoulder straps; so should your duty gear.

When I started this job my back and knees were already jacked up from the army. I worked in a place that had traditional uniforms with no cargo pockets, just sap pockets filled with crap, and nylon fake leather Bianchi belts with no stretch to them, wore two single cuff cases on either side of my spine per policy. I developed sciatica quickly.

Now I have cargo pockets and keep nothing in the rear pockets, I use a safariland drop holster and wear just one single cuff case at about 3:30 right up on the attachment point for the drop, so there is nothing on my back but keepers. I also switched to a real leather belt which I prefer to anything nylon as I prefer the way leather stretches and molds to your body shape over time.

My back issues are almost entirely gone with just those changes. If they get worse I will invest in a suspender set.

ETA: If your department has a shitfit about suspenders any competent uniform tailor can add access points to a traditional class B shirt that lets you run them under your shirt, but over your vest. Lots of guys at my old agency did that since we had anal uniform policies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any set of duty belt suspenders is a wise investment if you have back problems. Blauer makes a set I've heard good things about.

Also re arrange your belt and clear any handcuffs/whatever from anywhere behind 8 o clock and 4 o clock. Also put NOTHING in the rear pockets/sap pockets while seated, not even wallets or thin gloves, sitting on the uneven stuff for a shift is very bad for your back. Add one of the padded back supports as well, you can find them in leather or nylon to match your equipment, there are many different brands. You will likely notice a huge difference with just those changes.

Lots of guys I know are getting the MOLLE vests for 'back pain' then loading them up with equipment, which is silly and counterproductive if eliminating back pain is the real goal. I wore a MOLLE vest/carrier in the army loaded with shit on the front and it was horrible for my back. Good hiking packs use a waist belt for most of the load and stabilizing support shoulder straps; so should your duty gear.

When I started this job my back and knees were already jacked up from the army. I worked in a place that had traditional uniforms with no cargo pockets, just sap pockets filled with crap, and nylon fake leather Bianchi belts with no stretch to them, wore two single cuff cases on either side of my spine per policy. I developed sciatica quickly.

Now I have cargo pockets and keep nothing in the rear pockets, I use a safariland drop holster and wear just one single cuff case at about 3:30 right up on the attachment point for the drop, so there is nothing on my back but keepers. I also switched to a real leather belt which I prefer to anything nylon as I prefer the way leather stretches and molds to your body shape over time.

My back issues are almost entirely gone with just those changes. If they get worse I will invest in a suspender set.

ETA: If your department has a shitfit about suspenders any competent uniform tailor can add access points to a traditional class B shirt that lets you run them under your shirt, but over your vest. Lots of guys at my old agency did that since we had anal uniform policies.
View Quote

I haven't worn them personally, I was still pretty young when I went into special ops and started wearing a BDU style uniform with a chest rig. That said, whenever I go back to the road, I will be investing in some of the concealed suspenders. Our guys swear by them
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I retired 2 years go after 25 years from the SO. Have previous back issues from other previous employment along with an on the job injury about 10 years ago. Got so wearing my duty belt with all its' related gear ( weapon,magazines,impact weapon,cuffsx2, spray etc.) was miserable.....A fellow Deputy who also had back issues turned me on to a system called "BackDefender". It's a suspender system that fits UNDER your uniform shirt... Long story short, It made it possible for me to finish my time with the department. (As a bonus, you're not constantly having to pull your belt/pants after running ect..lol) If I remember correctly the were around $220. Able to write off on your taxes too. Might be worth searching online to see if they are still in business...... PS hopefully your vest is thin and flexible( even with plate) wearing the system over my vest seemed to work best for me. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I know there is a concealed setup for duty belts I know a few of my local NYPD guys have them. Was behind one on a job and felt the the system when I put my hand around the PO. Asked later and he showed me The system said there great I just can't remember the name right now. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds a lot like what I posted above...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah probably... lol.

If I run into one of the guys I know wears it this week I'll get a brand name. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I retired 2 years go after 25 years from the SO. Have previous back issues from other previous employment along with an on the job injury about 10 years ago. Got so wearing my duty belt with all its' related gear ( weapon,magazines,impact weapon,cuffsx2, spray etc.) was miserable.....A fellow Deputy who also had back issues turned me on to a system called "BackDefender". It's a suspender system that fits UNDER your uniform shirt... Long story short, It made it possible for me to finish my time with the department. (As a bonus, you're not constantly having to pull your belt/pants after running ect..lol) If I remember correctly the were around $220. Able to write off on your taxes too. Might be worth searching online to see if they are still in business...... PS hopefully your vest is thin and flexible( even with plate) wearing the system over my vest seemed to work best for me. Good luck.
View Quote

I believe that's the one my dept. provides
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We run the BackDefender also.  Works good and the owner is about the friendliest guy you will ever run across. Usually ships the same day you order.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking at the Blauer Armorskin Suspension system.  From what I hear, it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't as hard as I was expecting to find:

Back Defense Systems
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked these up a few months ago:
https://www.operationalsurvivalgear.com/product-p/hide-patrol-1.htm
They have an integrated drag strap.  Check out the videos. Make sure to tell your buddies you are wearing them...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Tactical Tailor LE Suspenders are the best out there, bar none.  I've tried the Blauer, i've tried a no name brand, and the TT ones are amazing, i'd pay quadruple the price for a new set if mine broke in a heartbeat, except i wouldnt have to since they're built bombproof and have a lifetime warranty.

They distribute the weight evenly across the top of your shoulders and high back rather than cutting into your shoulders with thin straps that roll.  They are low profile and wear as good on top of a shirt as they do under an outercarrier vest.  They come with 4x belt keepers with D rings that the straps snap onto, so if you have to remove them or look nice for court, or a special event they just clip off your belt rather than having to remove all your gear and they stay in place.  For the price (IIRC 50ish bucks) they CANNOT be beaten, and they are worth it to buy to try out.  Trust me you wont try anything else.

Tactical Tailor LE Duty Suspenders.

$51 bucks, you can't afford to NOT try it for that, and if you use coupon code "WETSU" you get 5% off in addition.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been wearing these for a few years. Help my hips tremendously. They spread the weight well over my shoulders and upper back, very comfy.

Sorry can't hotlink on phone. They're K&W suspenders.

http://nylonwebgear.com/products/swat-harness
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If they were good enough for the Germans in WWII...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Dickeys suspenders they sell at Walmart for $10 work for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top