Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 4:52:52 PM EDT
I'm in the process of rewriting our policy on firearms and firearms training. I will need to keep a record of everyone's agency-issued firearms and any others sworn officers will carry on and off-duty under Sheriff's Office authority. To avoid trying to reinvent the wheel, does anyone have some type of form or log to record this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a Firearms Acquisition and Disposition Form that has to be filled out anytime you purchase or sell a handgun.  The member fills out all pertinent information and has a supervisor sign off on it.  One copy remains at the command for the member's personnel folder.  Two copies are forwarded to the firearms and tactics section who maintain a record in what I think is an access database (this would be you I guess).  One copy remains at the FTS and the original gets forwarded to the State Police (as per state law, probably wouldn't be needed in your case).  In addition, the member has to add it on to his force record card at the command (this goes back to the days when there were no computers and centralization of records was a nightmare and isn't needed anymore but probably isn't going away anytime soon).  If you want to pm me your dept email, I can probably get one scanned in and sent to you in the next day or two).
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
We keep a binder in our range. Each officer has a folder that is 3 hole punched and alphabetized. Our qual sheets are a piece of paper that are then3 hole punched and placed in the officers folder.

Our qual sheets have make/model/SN/caliber/barrel length

It's pretty straight forward. Hire a new person, make a new folder. Person quits, remove the folder
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We keep a binder in our range. Each officer has a folder that is 3 hole punched and alphabetized. Our qual sheets are a piece of paper that are then3 hole punched and placed in the officers folder.

Our qual sheets have make/model/SN/caliber/barrel length

It's pretty straight forward. Hire a new person, make a new folder. Person quits, remove the folder
View Quote

This for us too. We do have an additional form for any personally owned firearm to be carried while on duty, as a backup or as an off duty. Basically just make, model, S/n, the Armorer who inspected it/ok'd it and a copy of the registration (if a handgun).

I carry my own AR and a baby glock as my backup and off duty. We have to qual with all firearms we carry on or off twice a year.

J-
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My agency has gone a different path for off duty carry.  If you qualify on a semi-auto pistol, then you may carry any semi-auto.  If you qualify on a revolver, then you may carry any revolver.  No need to records, types, SN's, ect.  If your cop is involved in a shoot, and it's a good shoot, then the type, caliber, model, ect...didn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My agency has gone a different path for off duty carry.  If you qualify on a semi-auto pistol, then you may carry any semi-auto.  If you qualify on a revolver, then you may carry any revolver.  No need to records, types, SN's, ect.  If your cop is involved in a shoot, and it's a good shoot, then the type, caliber, model, ect...didn't matter.
View Quote

Not a cop, but in the orbit of the ones I know I had casually heard the policy is to prevent drop guns or more realistically the public/defendant attorney perception of a drop gun? Do you guy have a policy for that or just case by case?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a software program called Firearms Manager Pro.  It inventories ammo, weapons, equipment and it also logs training and qualifications and will tell you when officer are in need of training or qualifications.

Firearms Manager Demo
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you use for eqpt issue?

How many employees? Low #? Look at excel. Use that for local eqpt and it works.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
If someone wants to carry a  personal weapon on duty as a secondary weapon, they submit a form listing the weapons info, and qualify with said weapon at least annually.
Agency issued weapons are tracked and linked to the assigned officer through the periodic armorer break-downs of each weapon at range time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
3"x 5"cards.

Somebody down there had a burst of sanity a while back, the dept no longer tracks or regulates off duty guns. (They still keep a record of backups and everyone carries the issue M&P)

This has resulted in a hell of a lot more guys carrying off duty. At least they will have SOME  kind of gun on them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We do it with the qualification record sheets. On the record sheet is a place for the Officer's name, make, model, serial number and caliber of the gun. Below that is where you record the scores for each qualification stage. Backup/off duty is the same. No distinction as to whether the gun is Department or personally owned. After qualifications, the sheets go together in a folder by year.

For Department owned weapons, I simply typed out a letter on Dept letterhead with the make, model and serial number of all issued Dept owned guns and who they are issued to. Of course. we are a small Dept with little turnover, so that works OK for us. For a large Dept, something like a spreadsheet in Excel might work too.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Department issued guns and equipment is tracked through Spillman along with paper copies kept in the armory to keep track of TDIs and parts replacement. Back-up and off-duty guns are listed on qualification cards which are scanned and placed on a directory.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Department issued guns and equipment is tracked through Spillman along with paper copies kept in the armory to keep track of TDIs and parts replacement. Back-up and off-duty guns are listed on qualification cards which are scanned and placed on a directory.
View Quote

Which Spillman module is that? Must be one we didn't buy...
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have a software program called Firearms Manager Pro.  It inventories ammo, weapons, equipment and it also logs training and qualifications and will tell you when officer are in need of training or qualifications.

Firearms Manager Demo
View Quote

We use FM Pro as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to keeping it all in an excel document. I think it would be a lot easier. I really just have to keep track of who has what and of all of the weapons in the armory.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]
We just use our standard requal sheet when they come in for quals once a year.  It will have the make model serial # and cal. And then file it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I only have six officers to keep track of, so I just have a short excel form that I hand write.  Personally owned duty guns get shot at all training, personally owned secondary guns get shot at annual quals or special fun days.  

I list make, model, serial number, caliber.  Also, anytime there is a repair or modification.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a gun and a holster dropped on the table in front of me told I would qual the next day.  Never signed for it but they do recorded the SN at when we shoot one time per year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I only have to keep track of 35 department issued handguns and each officer is limited to two weapons for off duty carry so I do it all in Excel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top