Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2017 7:05:39 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace the shitty rescue knives we have at my hospital with something that actually works to cut a bedsheet or other item from someone's neck. We have some folding hooks that just plain suck. The open area is large enough, but they don't take or hold an edge and the folding blades are very wobbly. I'm in a psych facility so these get used fairly often in our setting. Bedsheets or clothing are most often the items we need to cut.

Does anyone have actual experience with ResQhook items and maybe experience with others to compare it to?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Never used that unit. But I keep a Benchmade hook on my radio strap it has lots of use. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used that unit. But I keep a Benchmade hook on my radio strap it has lots of use. 
View Quote

That's what I got. Actually managed to cut myself with it. lol

That sure is a big gap in that hook, op
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It needs to be for our uses. Mostly twisted up bedsheets, they are pretty bulky. Sometimes blankets, which are worse. Not much acute strangulation potential, but it can be done with effort. Had someone wrap one, anchor the other end, then try an alligator death roll to get it tight enough to do damage. It would have eventually if we hadn't caught them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Having worked in a psych hospital, I think those or the bench made option would work well for you.  I have one somewhere that I've never had to use.  Have you tried basic EMS trauma sheers though? They will cut through damn near anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Having worked in a psych hospital, I think those or the bench made option would work well for you.  I have one somewhere that I've never had to use.  Have you tried basic EMS trauma sheers though? They will cut through damn near anything.
View Quote

I use them more than our shitty knives, but they sometimes struggle with twisted cloth like sheets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and it is in a box some where.  I carried a Benchmade 7 Hook and just switched to the Triage knife/hook combo.

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have one and it is in a box some where.  I carried a Benchmade 7 Hook and just switched to the Triage knife/hook combo.

View Quote

I have tried a Buck and a couple others and they aren't large enough to get a good cut on a twisted sheet. Even with our crappy folding hooks, I can dig under then invert it and "saw" away at something no matter how thick. If the ResQ is better steel with a better edge, it looks like it might work well. I just don't want to pony up out of pocket if it is crap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
These are quite handy Eezycut .

Might not be as big as you're wanting though, but if it can fit it they work great.  And they're relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have tried a Buck and a couple others and they aren't large enough to get a good cut on a twisted sheet. Even with our crappy folding hooks, I can dig under then invert it and "saw" away at something no matter how thick. If the ResQ is better steel with a better edge, it looks like it might work well. I just don't want to pony up out of pocket if it is crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Benchmade is coming out with the 10 Hook.  Here is the description,
A versatile rescue instrument built originally for corrections officers, the enlarged hook gap allows cutting of rope up to 1” thick and other larger diameter woven materials. The sheath provides ambidextrous carry in both vertical and horizontal positions.

eta, $63.75 at Knifecenter
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A versatile rescue instrument built originally for corrections officers, the enlarged hook gap allows cutting of rope up to 1” thick and other larger diameter woven materials. The sheath provides ambidextrous carry in both vertical and horizontal positions.

That looks like its at least worth a try, thank you! Found it for the same price with free shipping at Midway.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Leatherman Raptor. These were the only things that would cut through turnout gear with ease.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't buy high priced trauma shears.  Go to Home Depot hit the garden section and shorten a pair of shears with a grinder. They cut through anything Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't buy high priced trauma shears.  Go to Home Depot hit the garden section and shorten a pair of shears with a grinder. They cut through anything https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48067/IMG-0683-135833.JPG
View Quote

Hah!

that's pretty neat.

If it's wrong to link, please cut this out, but I found those 8hooks for 14 bucks here looking for something else, and thought I'd share:
http://stormseekermilitarysurplus.com/products/benchmade-strap-cutter-componet-of-the-marine-individual-assault-kit
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That looks like its at least worth a try, thank you! Found it for the same price with free shipping at Midway.
View Quote

CRKT is coming out with their CST COMBAT STRIPPING TOOL.

Forged By War: CST Combat Stripping Tool by Kelly Rodriguez

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Leatherman Raptor. These were the only things that would cut through turnout gear with ease.
View Quote
I have a pair of those. I think you could cut a finger off if you really wanted to. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top