Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2017 5:22:12 PM EDT
I'm with a small agency in Ohio, and we're allowed to carry whatever we want (baton wise) within reason.

I've been looking at the above listed baton a couple of years, and have kind of fallen in love with it. I'm sort of torn whether to get it in an electroless or black finish.

Any of you all use this baton? Which finish did you choose (if you get a choice?)
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
We have it, standard black.

It's heavy, so your back and anyone you thump with it will feel the weight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it zinc phosphate (which is parkerizing) or just a zinc powder coat? If the latter, then I'd definitely choose electroless nickel. It's a much better finish. I like my nickel-plated ASP because it's easy to see, and I want people to see it when it's deployed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Wood baton
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wood baton
View Quote

ASPs are a fucking joke and should not be carried by any LE agency RCBs are not.

I like wood sticks, I make them in my spare time, they are fun to spin, they look good, and are very traditional and the public likes them.

If you want to go solely off performance the RCB outdoes any wood stick short of a 36'' riot baton.

It's like comparing a revolver to a semi-auto. Hit a heavy bag with an RCB, then do it with a 26'' Koga stick made of dymondwood composite. You, and everyone in the room, will hear and see the difference in power. It is not even close.

A local agency broke a decent sized dude's leg with one single handed shot from an RCB, while he was running and in motion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a 26 inch, hickory, with a para cord wrapped handle. Got it from Ninja Nate's Custom Woodworking. Everyone that sees it, wants one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
For a few shifts, I skated under the radar carrying a poly-carbonate straight stick baton.  Getting out of the car with it and sliding it into the baton holder really gave shit-heads pause. put a heavy duty brass fishing lure-spinner on it with a long paracord strap and learn how to spin it like the NYPD old-timers. You can drill out a small hole in the grip area of a hollow poly-carbonate baton and fill the end with lead shot.  Make sure that you drip some glue after the shot to lock it all into the tip.  

whats up with police twirling their night sticks all the time-NewsForNatives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRl1TqSLpFU
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a few shifts, I skated under the radar carrying a poly-carbonate straight stick baton.  Getting out of the car with it and sliding it into the baton holder really gave shit-heads pause. put a heavy duty brass fishing lure-spinner on it with a long paracord strap and learn how to spin it like the NYPD old-timers. You can drill out a small hole in the grip area of a hollow poly-carbonate baton and fill the end with lead shot.  Make sure that you drip some glue after the shot to lock it all into the tip.  

View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for that. I have never heard of RCB and assumed it was like ASP or Mona-whatever.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it zinc phosphate (which is parkerizing) or just a zinc powder coat? If the latter, then I'd definitely choose electroless nickel. It's a much better finish. I like my nickel-plated ASP because it's easy to see, and I want people to see it when it's deployed.
View Quote

I am guessing a zinc powder coat, because it wears off pretty fast.

I like them. Once you get used to the weight you forget it's there, and it has been really effective at street level.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never, ever been impressed with the ASP. I bought one when they first came out in the 90's, because carrying first an aluminum straight stick, then a PR-24 can be a pain in the ass.

I wasn't too jazzed about the collapsing PR24, either, but I have one.

I have hit people with a plain jane wood straight stick, an aluminum version, the PR, and the ASP. the ASP rarely brought about the results the others did. I thought it was just me until now.

$200 for a stick and holder is a lot of money to me right now. Is it really that much better than an ASP? Really easier to collapse, too?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
We're issued the Peacekeeper RCB.  Mine is actually the previous version which was made by Winchester.  I've never had mine fail, bend or have issues collapsing.  As far as those concerned with the finish, mine is a little chipped, but no rust at all and has been carried/used for over 10 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top