Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2017 6:39:04 PM EDT
I was medically discharged in March after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I'm currently working as a local LEO and plan on staying with my department for at least 4 more years. I am trying to find out more legitimate information pertaining to Fed LE jobs that would fill the void left by getting discharged 14 years before I planned on leaving.

First off, what jobs can I do with diabetes with or without a waiver?

I'm interested in FBI HRT, CBP BORTAC, or any of the other things I haven't heard of that could potentially get me back in the fight.

I'd prefer to hear only first hand knowledge. If anyone would like to speak with me but does not want to make public posts, email or PM would be fine. I'm not looking for and FOUO/class info. Just information that I would not get from a recruiter that can help me decide what the hell path I'm going to take.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First off you have college? If not get it! Our a$$ get passed up all the time for some kid with a 4 year or 2 year degree.

Send me an IM or email I can tell you a lot about trying to get a FED LEO job I
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
No college. Email sent.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be a 10point preference with the medical discharge which will put you above everyone without a ten point preference. Look up the jobs you're interested in and see what kind of degrees they want and get one of those. Another option if you have some of the jobs local to you, ask the guys there what to do to make yourself the better candidate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't you already have to be in CBP to be apart of CBP BORTAC?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to focus on getting hired first.  After your probationary year(s), you can try out for special teams.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be a 10point preference with the medical discharge which will put you above everyone without a ten point preference. Look up the jobs you're interested in and see what kind of degrees they want and get one of those. Another option if you have some of the jobs local to you, ask the guys there what to do to make yourself the better candidate.
View Quote

You need a 4 year degree in Federal LE.  It's just how it is.

Use your GI bill.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright guys. Before you start trying to school me in how being on a special operations team works... how about you stick to the question. I'm looking for different jobs I can eventually strive to achieve once I'm done with my degree or before. I don't care what you've heard about what job on YouTube . If you don't have any first hand experience I'm not interested in reading what you have to say.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alright guys. Before you start trying to school me in how being on a special operations team works... how about you stick to the question. I'm looking for different jobs I can eventually strive to achieve once I'm done with my degree or before. I don't care what you've heard about what job on YouTube . If you don't have any first hand experience I'm not interested in reading what you have to say.
View Quote

Federal LE doesn't work that way.

First, you have to get hired...this can easily take 2 years and that's if they are hiring.  Many agencies only hire every few years...so it could be 5 years from now for someone wanting to get on.

Second, you don't get hired into a specific unit or assignment (super rare exceptions for Doctors, pilots, etc).

Then, you spend 5-10 years working directed assignments before you can look at anything super specialized.

Focus on getting hired if that's your goal.  Many 1811 jobs get 30k applicants and hire about 200 folks a year at most.  It's competitive to just get hired.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

First, you have to get hired...this can easily take 2 years and that's if they are hiring.  Many agencies only hire every few years...so it could be 5 years from now for someone wanting to get on.

Second, you don't get hired into a specific unit or assignment (super rare exceptions for Doctors, pilots, etc).

Then, you spend 5-10 years working directed assignments before you can look at anything super specialized.

Focus on getting hired if that's your goal.  Many 1811 jobs get 30k applicants and hire about 200 folks a year at most.  It's competitive to just get hired.
View Quote

Gotcha. Any idea what agencies' specialty units will write me off as soon as they see I'm a diabetic? Im trying to avoid getting hired to, let's say, the FBI just to find out that my diabetes disqualifies me from HRT and other specialties even though I'm allowed to be a special agent. My disease preventing me from going to certain units and task forces within Agencies is really what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know what gigs are out there for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gotcha. Any idea what agencies' specialty units will write me off as soon as they see I'm a diabetic? Im trying to avoid getting hired to, let's say, the FBI just to find out that my diabetes disqualifies me from HRT and other specialties even though I'm allowed to be a special agent. My disease preventing me from going to certain units and task forces within Agencies is really what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know what gigs are out there for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realistically...it depends.  If you are insulin dependent, it's hard to get clearance to be deployable.  

There are tons of cool jobs in Fed LE that don't involve kicking doors.  Dive teams, WMD response, technical jobs like computer forensics, training centers, surveillance teams, and so on.  

It's a big team.  Kicking doors is a small part of it.

Honestly...just get hired as an 1811 first.  Once that's done, then look around and start trying to find specialty jobs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/460300500/
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/460629500/
Hey, look  CBP and BP jobs... that dont require a degree, AND your a shoein with the military background. a clearance is likely a plus too....
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey, look  CBP and BP jobs... that dont require a degree, AND your a shoein with the military background. a clearance is likely a plus too....
View Quote

The downside to those is that they plateau...

The degree is a box that needs to be checked if it's going to be a career.  It gives you options long term.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please come back and update us in four years when you aren't any closer to your dreams. Your attitude screams "hire me."

Get a 4 year degree. Make a profile on USA jobs. Apply when there are vacancies. There are no secrets to federal hiring. There is nothing a "recruiter" can do but usher you through the same hiring process that is described on each agency's website.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Get cracking on college.
2. Watch usajobs.com like a hawk and apply for anything that looks interesting.
3. See 2.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

But you want the GL not GS unless you want a 30 year retirement or 20 year retirement with all the LEO perks! Told you in the Email get your degree took me six years to get this job I'm about to start I have filled out so many job opening on USAJOBS its not funny really in real numbers in the past 6 years I applied for 900+ job about 150 a year! Only heard back from less then 10 jobs was offered a job with Air Force police but turned it down. You want a federal police job got do save search on USAjobs they email you when they get any new ones in 1811, 1801, 1896, 0083 even search police officer and they will email you them around midnight everyday if you want it.

Everyone here who has given you advice is right takes a long time to find a job even longer for you to be offered the job! Told you I was passed up for a job at a National Park I'm a vet Purple heart at the time 3 years in being a Federal police officer 4 years as a police officer and the guy who got the spot had a 4 year degree none military and was never a police officer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
gs12 is a good living, AND management doesn't require a degree for CBP last I checked, and CBP is 20 year retirement now days with 1.75% happened back in 2011? I don't have prior military time to calculate but does it roll into those 20? I know it doesn't count against you age wise(we had a retired 1sgt here for a while was fun)
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But you want the GL not GS unless you want a 30 year retirement or 20 year retirement with all the LEO perks! Told you in the Email get your degree took me six years to get this job I'm about to start I have filled out so many job opening on USAJOBS its not funny really in real numbers in the past 6 years I applied for 900+ job about 150 a year! Only heard back from less then 10 jobs was offered a job with Air Force police but turned it down. You want a federal police job got do save search on USAjobs they email you when they get any new ones in 1811, 1801, 1896, 0083 even search police officer and they will email you them around midnight everyday if you want it.

Everyone here who has given you advice is right takes a long time to find a job even longer for you to be offered the job! Told you I was passed up for a job at a National Park I'm a vet Purple heart at the time 3 years in being a Federal police officer 4 years as a police officer and the guy who got the spot had a 4 year degree none military and was never a police officer.
View Quote

I hear you man.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Please come back and update us in four years when you aren't any closer to your dreams. Your attitude screams "hire me."

Get a 4 year degree. Make a profile on USA jobs. Apply when there are vacancies. There are no secrets to federal hiring. There is nothing a "recruiter" can do but usher you through the same hiring process that is described on each agency's website.
View Quote

That's funny. What I'm trying to scream is "give me some god damn information on jobs I don't know about that I may be able to do as an insulin dependant diabetic."  But people somehow turned this into me looking for advice on making a USA Jobs profile.

I have a great LE job as we speak. I just know there's always something better. Unfortunately, no one knows what I can do as a diabetic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to see agency requirements, go to usajobs and search series 1811.

1811 is the GS job code for Federal Agents.  

One thing I forgot...if you are a full on PT stud and hate being home...plus like living in a car, look into Nuke Courier jobs.  Nuclear Materials Courier...I think they are DOE.  

It's like being a FedEx driver...just with guns.  

Some guys love it...some say it gets uber old and the training is huge. Tons of per diem money.  Much like FAMs.  

Good luck!  It's there if you want it bad enough to fight for it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Being a nuke courier definitely isn't for me. I'll check out the requirements on 1811 series jobs. The question is still there of whether or not specialized units will keep me from trying out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's funny. What I'm trying to scream is "give me some god damn information on jobs I don't know about that I may be able to do as an insulin dependant diabetic."  But people somehow turned this into me looking for advice on making a USA Jobs profile.

I have a great LE job as we speak. I just know there's always something better.
View Quote
Just out of curiosity, when you say 'get back in the fight' do you mean see a lot of tactical operations or get back on with the federal government doing national security type stuff?

Because if it's the former I would seriously consider finding a busy, squared away urban department in an area you would like to live and checking out their lateral program. A big city tactical team does way more actual tactical work than any high speed whizbang federal outfit and can often lead to the opportunity to participate in stuff like USMS fugitive task forces/DEA task forces/etc.

If you meant the latter disregard this cause taking down crack houses has zilch to do with stopping al qaeda
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple answer..Yes.  
      Most, if not all federal 1801/1811 jobs require medical screen and diabetic issued will DQ you (same reason you had to leave RB/SOF).  You can still serve on a federal TF (VFTF, JTTF, ect) through your current agency with diabetes.  Since you indicate you're currently a LEO, you got lucky, most places around my A/O will DQ for diabetes for the liability reasons and medical concerns during the initial hiring process, so maintain your LEO commission should you leave for greener pastures.  
      The non 1801/1811 fed LEO jobs may waiver your condition, think BIA, BOP, DOD Police, Ect.  Purple heart and veteran status will get you preferential hiring status once you pass the initial hiring screening.  Language skills in other than Española can be a great door opener.  4 year degree is must for long term advancement.  
      Professional degrees, ie, MD, DJ, MBA will also open doors otherwise closed by your medical condition.  

As mentioned by another poster, local LEO SWAT cats on Fed TF's do a great deal more heavy lifting than most people know, it is the whole reason the local Fed TF's exist....instant local man power when shit goes south.    

If you have any specific questions concerning the SDUSM VFTF gig, drop me a line at [email protected].

18B30..but really a 18Z50(R) on a Federal VFTF as a 17 year SDUSM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Simple answer..Yes.  Most if not all federal 1801/1811 jobs require medical screen and diabetic issued will DQ you (same reason you had to leave RB/SOF).  If you are already employed as 1811, this is a different story.  You can still serve on a federal TF (VFTF, TTF, ect) through your  current agency with diabetes.    

Sorry Brother,

18B30..really a 18Z50 on a Federal FT as a SDUSM.
View Quote

I had a bad feeling about that. Hopefully in the future diabetes awareness will spread and people making decisions about who is fit and unfit to serve/ work will be a little more informed. My story would blow y'all's socks off.. then again, good dudes getting fucked down by the DOD is nothing new.

Thanks for answering my question. I'll just keep trying to get on the USMS Fugitive TF in my area... Or go fight ISIS with some of my old Rgr buddies.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had a bad feeling about that. Hopefully in the future diabetes awareness will spread and people making decisions about who is fit and unfit to serve/ work will be a little more informed. My story would blow y'all's socks off.. then again, good dudes getting fucked down by the DOD is nothing new.

Thanks for answering my question. I'll just keep trying to get on the USMS Fugitive TF in my area... Or go fight ISIS with some of my old Rgr buddies.
View Quote

DUSM VFTF see a lot of action.  These are good dudes whose are strictly hunter/catcher and it's a good time.  I would contact your local DUSM office and talk with the local DUSM in charge of the VFTF.  I know we are always looking for new local LEO's that can come out even if only once per month.  My TF has a wide skill set group to include State Trooper SWAT cats, ICE, ATF, Adult Parole, 16 or so local PD's, 5 adjoining SO's.  Dedicated SWAT/CQB training 4 times per year, very little admin BS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Honestly, if you are looking at doing full time tac work, you would probably be better off in a big city PD.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly, if you are looking at doing full time tac work, you would probably be better off in a big city PD.
View Quote

That's what I'm starting to gather. I may be better off staying where I am.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, when you say 'get back in the fight' do you mean see a lot of tactical operations or get back on with the federal government doing national security type stuff?

Because if it's the former I would seriously consider finding a busy, squared away urban department in an area you would like to live and checking out their lateral program. A big city tactical team does way more actual tactical work than any high speed whizbang federal outfit and can often lead to the opportunity to participate in stuff like USMS fugitive task forces/DEA task forces/etc.

If you meant the latter disregard this cause taking down crack houses has zilch to do with stopping al qaeda
View Quote

Simple answer is I am a door kicker and was planning on doing it for 20 years. It was cut short due to my disease and I am trying to find a job that will give me the same satisfaction I got from being a Ranger Team Leader. Nothing will ever come close, and I get that. I have a solid LE job at a city department and I will be able to do a lot of cool stuff here if I stick around. I'm just trying to see what is out there for me.

I wasn't trying to come off as arrogant or douchy in any of my comments, but we all know forum topics get off subject very quickly and I wanted to keep it on track. I have a dozen people in various 3 letter agencies who can give me advice on getting hired. The point of this post was to decide if I even want to attempt to get hired by any of them or if any of them would ever take a type 1 diabetic and let him do ops conus/ oconus.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Simple answer is I am a door kicker and was planning on doing it for 20 years. It was cut short due to my disease and I am trying to find a job that will give me the same satisfaction I got from being a Ranger Team Leader. Nothing will ever come close, and I get that. I have a solid LE job at a city department and I will be able to do a lot of cool stuff here if I stick around. I'm just trying to see what is out there for me.

I wasn't trying to come off as arrogant or douchy in any of my comments, but we all know forum topics get off subject very quickly and I wanted to keep it on track. I have a dozen people in various 3 letter agencies who can give me advice on getting hired. The point of this post was to decide if I even want to attempt to get hired by any of them or if any of them would ever take a type 1 diabetic and let him do ops conus/ oconus.
View Quote

I'm a SWAT Team Commander with a central Florida Sheriff's Office... there's not much all out door kicking going on anymore in civilian LE... the current tactic is "surround and call-out". Dynamic entries used to be status quo, even on minor drug-house raids, those days are gone for the most part... unless someone is chunking infants out of a third story window, or someone is barricaded and just randomly shooting folks, dynamic entries are extremely limited.

I just trained with Clay Martin (retired SF) from Off the Reservation Tactical... he told us that the surround and call out techniques were adopted by Special Operations in the military as it resulted in a reduction of losses. Surround and call out coupled with other tactics such as the various forms of limited penetration, are the tactic of choice.

Unless the target suspect and or circumstances surrounding the incident result in the appropriate threat level being met, many places no longer utilize the SWAT Team. Currently, in most places, pre-op treat analysis and intel dictate SWAT/Tactical Team use... which has seriously declined over the past five years. Not saying an operation does not take place, it just not utilize the full potential a SWAT Team brings to the table.

With the applicant pool being large and competition stiff... I'd high highly suspect ANY deficiency, no matter how slight, will be exploited to eliminate you from the candidate pool. Like suggested, your best bet is local LE. Good luck and THANK YOU for your service.

ETA- one other important aspect to consider... due to the reduced utilization of special teams as mentioned above, administrators tend to not support training and aggressive funding for training and gear... not a problem where I am, but I know of surrounding agencies who have not used their SWAT assets in a VERY LONG TIME.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm a SWAT Team Commander with a central Florida Sheriff's Office... there's not much all out door kicking going on anymore in civilian LE... the current tactic is "surround and call-out". Dynamic entries used to be status quo, even on minor drug-house raids, those days are gone for the most part... unless someone is chunking infants out of a third story window, or someone is barricaded and just randomly shooting folks, dynamic entries are extremely limited.

I just trained with Clay Martin (retired SF) from Off the Reservation Tactical... he told us that the surround and call out techniques were adopted by Special Operations in the military as it resulted in a reduction of losses. Surround and call out coupled with other tactics such as the various forms of limited penetration, are the tactic of choice.

Unless the target suspect and or circumstances surrounding the incident result in the appropriate threat level being met, many places no longer utilize the SWAT Team. Currently, in most places, pre-op treat analysis and intel dictate SWAT/Tactical Team use... which has seriously declined over the past five years. Not saying an operation does not take place, it just not utilize the full potential a SWAT Team brings to the table.

With the applicant pool being large and competition stiff... I'd high highly suspect ANY deficiency, no matter how slight, will be exploited to eliminate you from the candidate pool. Like suggested, your best bet is local LE. Good luck and THANK YOU for your service.

ETA- one other important aspect to consider... due to the reduced utilization of special teams as mentioned above, administrators tend to not support training and aggressive funding for training and gear... not a problem where I am, but I know of surrounding agencies who have not used their SWAT assets in a VERY LONG TIME.
View Quote

Mr. Martin isn't lying. Call outs have saved a lot of American lives. Thanks for the response. Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  Gotcha. Any idea what agencies' specialty units will write me off as soon as they see I'm a diabetic? Im trying to avoid getting hired to, let's say, the FBI just to find out that my diabetes disqualifies me from HRT and other specialties even though I'm allowed to be a special agent. My disease preventing me from going to certain units and task forces within Agencies is really what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know what gigs are out there for me.
View Quote

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but you really need to slow down and pump the brakes for a few reasons.  As a 1811 for over ten years, and a former team guy who got promoted to management and was transferred off a team, I am now involved in the hiring process/training of new agents, you are getting some good general info here.   But let me get specific that those who have never been hiring officials may not know exists in 2017 in federal law enforcement.

If anyone came into any 1811 interview and even mentioned special units outside the question of where do you see yourself in ten years, (not 5), you will get bounced.  Even if applying through the specialty team direct hire process.  You need to become an agent first, a seasoned and experienced agent at that.  Some teams are a primary primary duty (I know of three), but very few are straight action- the rest do "other" stuff.  As such, and at two of three full time teams I know, they want you to know how to operate as a seasoned criminal investigator.  Kicking in the door and doing a sweep for perps is meaningless if you don't understand the case behind such, as you will blow through destroying potential evidence or doings something else that jeopardizes a criminal case.  Not something you learn through an academy class or reading a book.  It takes years to get the basics down.  Federal LE work operates much different that state and local who live on PC and doing first, whereas we do a lot of asking first.  Nobody makes a team unless they make agent, and a good agent at that.  Agencies are filled with guys who have better skills (physical, defense, firearms) than many on the team- but they are crappy agents and can't handle that part of the job- so they will never see a team position.  Anyone coming in the door who expresses no interest in learning the basic job functions of the agency, and becoming an expert at them, before moving up or into specialty units, doesn't make it far in our hiring process, or other agencies, and we consult almost ourselves often.  

The 1811 series, no matter what agency, has ONE medical standard.  That standard allows folks with Type I diabetes, after an evaluation.  During the hiring process, once it is disclosed, you will be sent for additional testing, sometimes at your expense.  Everyone case is different, and you opinion here is not valid.  Its what the testing shows that matters - scientific numbers and what they compare to the standards set by OPM and ultimately each candidates files stamped by Federal Occupational Health.  A waiver is almost impossible for 1811 for Type I diabetes if you results are outside the window; however you can get an agency level waiver for 1801 and 1810 at the hiring officials/agency head discretion.          

If you make agent, and then are a good agent, there are no additional medical standards for team members.  They stay the same as the job category- 1811.  However there are increased PT standards, and they no waives or flexibility.    

Good luck with your decision!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but you really need to slow down and pump the brakes for a few reasons.  As a 1811 for over ten years, and a former team guy who got promoted to management and was transferred off a team, I am now involved in the hiring process/training of new agents, you are getting some good general info here.   But let me get specific that those who have never been hiring officials may not know exists in 2017 in federal law enforcement.

If anyone came into any 1811 interview and even mentioned special units outside the question of where do you see yourself in ten years, (not 5), you will get bounced.  Even if applying through the specialty team direct hire process.  You need to become an agent first, a seasoned and experienced agent at that.  Some teams are a primary primary duty (I know of three), but very few are straight action- the rest do "other" stuff.  As such, and at two of three full time teams I know, they want you to know how to operate as a seasoned criminal investigator.  Kicking in the door and doing a sweep for perps is meaningless if you don't understand the case behind such, as you will blow through destroying potential evidence or doings something else that jeopardizes a criminal case.  Not something you learn through an academy class or reading a book.  It takes years to get the basics down.  Federal LE work operates much different that state and local who live on PC and doing first, whereas we do a lot of asking first.  Nobody makes a team unless they make agent, and a good agent at that.  Agencies are filled with guys who have better skills (physical, defense, firearms) than many on the team- but they are crappy agents and can't handle that part of the job- so they will never see a team position.  Anyone coming in the door who expresses no interest in learning the basic job functions of the agency, and becoming an expert at them, before moving up or into specialty units, doesn't make it far in our hiring process, or other agencies, and we consult almost ourselves often.  

The 1811 series, no matter what agency, has ONE medical standard.  That standard allows folks with Type I diabetes, after an evaluation.  During the hiring process, once it is disclosed, you will be sent for additional testing, sometimes at your expense.  Everyone case is different, and you opinion here is not valid.  Its what the testing shows that matters - scientific numbers and what they compare to the standards set by OPM and ultimately each candidates files stamped by Federal Occupational Health.  A waiver is almost impossible for 1811 for Type I diabetes if you results are outside the window; however you can get an agency level waiver for 1801 and 1810 at the hiring officials/agency head discretion.          

If you make agent, and then are a good agent, there are no additional medical standards for team members.  They stay the same as the job category- 1811.  However there are increased PT standards, and they no waives or flexibility.    

Good luck with your decision!
View Quote

Sir,

Thank you greatly for this response. I fully understand I have a years upon years ahead of me before I will become a seasoned LEO. I'm no stranger to hard work and show up everyday ready to sharpen my sword a little bit more.

I can't believe I couldn't find this info out about medical screenings through my research.  I can't thank you enough brother. This is very encouraging.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#32]
If your dept has guys on Safe Streets task force or at one of the fugitive task forces, those are about as much pure fun as you can have in LE...all chasing bad guys, very little paperwork.  The USMS guys do some serious fugitive work and use tons of local LEOs.  It is the place to be if you want to put hands on real violent bad guys.  My first night on a USMS task force, my team ended up in a shooting in a shitty appartment looking for a murder suspect.  The officer was cleared and back to work in a week.  

Beyond that, the DEA task forces do good work as well...sometimes uber dangerous and deep in the narco world...but if you are willing to take the risk, those guys get in some real serious business.  

Plus, task force time opens a lot of federal doors...

Good luck!  

PM me if you have any questions.  Happy to assist.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If your dept has guys on Safe Streets task force or at one of the fugitive task forces, those are about as much pure fun as you can have in LE...all chasing bad guys, very little paperwork.  The USMS guys do some serious fugitive work and use tons of local LEOs.  It is the place to be if you want to put hands on real violent bad guys.  My first night on a USMS task force, my team ended up in a shooting in a shitty appartment looking for a murder suspect.  The officer was cleared and back to work in a week.  

Beyond that, the DEA task forces do good work as well...sometimes uber dangerous and deep in the narco world...but if you are willing to take the risk, those guys get in some real serious business.  

Plus, task force time opens a lot of federal doors...

Good luck!  

PM me if you have any questions.  Happy to assist.
View Quote

Thanks, brother. I appreciate y'alls help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Im with the BOP not diabetic. although i know quite a few officers who are though... but i dont think they require any waivers plus you can start and it will count towards retirement for other LEO jobs in the future
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sir,

Thank you greatly for this response. I fully understand I have a years upon years ahead of me before I will become a seasoned LEO. I'm no stranger to hard work and show up everyday ready to sharpen my sword a little bit more.

I can't believe I couldn't find this info out about medical screenings through my research.  I can't thank you enough brother. This is very encouraging.
View Quote

Glad to help.  Just disclose it and get the additional testing they want.  If your blood work and testing numbers are within the acceptable window, controlled Type 1 Diabetes will not prevent you from federal law enforcement.  

Old but still relevant on how military vs federal law enforcement are about it:  http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2013/jul/adam-roth-law-enforcement-officer.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wouldn't you already have to be in CBP to be apart of CBP BORTAC?
View Quote

BORTAC is an extra duty assignment of the Border Patrol, which is under CBP's umbrella. Yes, you would first have to be a Border Patrol Agent before you could apply for BORTAC entrance selection training. Similar to Navy SEALS, in that a SEAL applicant would have to be a member of the Navy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Criminal Investigator opened up for USSS and closes on the 20th if you're interested.  I've been in the process for over a year and a half now.  FWIW, you don't need a BA/BS to be qualified for the position.  You just need to make sure you're resume details your experience at the GL/GS-5 pay scale (entry level).  The degree definitely helps, but wont DQ you from the first initial stage after application. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Criminal Investigator opened up for USSS and closes on the 20th if you're interested.  I've been in the process for over a year and a half now.  FWIW, you don't need a BA/BS to be qualified for the position.  You just need to make sure you're resume details your experience at the GL/GS-5 pay scale (entry level).  The degree definitely helps, but wont DQ you from the first initial stage after application. 
View Quote

Thanks man but I'm not looking for anything in the near future. I'm staying where I'm at for a long while. I've just struggled on getting info regarding my eligibility. I figured people in this community would know.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The degree is a box that needs to be checked if it's going to be a career.  It gives you options long term.

YMMV.
View Quote

Not true at all, while some agencies require a degree (FBI, DEA, BATFE)  there are a lot that do not.  Im a GL-11 with a DD214 and a GED, there are no education requirements preventing me from promoting all the way to the SES ranks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not true at all, while some agencies require a degree (FBI, DEA, BATFE)  there are a lot that do not.  Im a GL-11 with a DD214 and a GED, there are no education requirements preventing me from promoting all the way to the SES ranks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

If you don't mind me asking, series/skill code?

I don't doubt what you are saying...I'm just not familliar with any federal LE jobs that would do that?  

Thanks for the follow up, its good to know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Doesn't the FBI have a "tactical" hiring path these days?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

Not that I completely disagree with you. Having a degree will pretty much always be beneficial and will help open doors in the short term and the long term. However, I'm not sure I agree that it is 'needed'.

I guess that depends on what someone considers a high enough grade to be considered a career? I've seen people retire as GS-5 (non-le). Obviously that's not exactly a high standard of achievement, but I would consider GS/GL-12 to be a respectable career goal. For non-covered law enforcement positions, GS-12 is typically Police Chief, you literally can't get any higher in those agencies. At least not if you want to keep your badge and gun.

I'm currently in a journeyman GL-12 position with law enforcement retirement and I haven't finished my degree yet. There are a lot of other federal LE agencies, including 1811 positions, that are journeyman 12/13 without a degree. Now obviously you (figuratively) would have to be bringing something else to the table in order to even get referred...
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Theres a few USMS, FBI, ICE agents that started as CBP.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Any idea how long the Federal hiring freeze Trump put into effect yesterday is expected to last?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any idea how long the Federal hiring freeze Trump put into effect yesterday is expected to last?
View Quote

No one knows, not even federal workers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote

Some fed leo's at gs12 base pay are making some pretty good money, without a degree.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The USMS also has SOG.  I don't know how often they're actually activated for anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"...hiring freeze across the federal government, with exceptions only for military, national security or public safety personnel."
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Respectfully,

If you are having to monitor and spike yourself, or worse, wear a pump... with the operational tempo and range of physicality that comes with being an assaulter, do you realistically see yourself being an asset or a liability in that narrow window of tasks?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If your dept has guys on Safe Streets task force...Beyond that, the DEA task forces do good work as well...sometimes uber dangerous and deep in the narco world...but if you are willing to take the risk, those guys get in some real serious business.
View Quote

I did collateral assignments to our regional SS and OCDETF for about two years.

We ran constantly. And I mean constantly. I don't know how 'customer friendly' they are now, but twenty years ago, we kicked a lot of doors.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top