Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
After 6 years trying I got in! Leave for my duty station next month. I asked what sidearm we carried and was told SIG 228 in 9mm.

I did ask if I would be able to carry my own 226 and was advised that maybe I could. I much rather don't like how the 228 fits in my hand then the worse part no light rails!

I'll toy with the whole weapon issue later just happy made it on O never thought I would and I applied for this one just out of S&G.

Few questions you guys use external carrier now? Also what boots are they giving you guys in warm wet areas?

Chief tolde I did not need to bring a thing of my old duty gear (Had a full set up do to the BIA never buying me any) Any advice guys? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. Seems like anything natural resource LE related in the feds is a tough nut to crack.

I know you were BIA for a while, I'm at my last step away from getting a firm offer from them and would be curious about any insight on how the job itself is from week-to-week. I'm pretty familiar with some of the individual tribal politics and preference thing, just curious about what the actual shift work is like, pros/cons, etc. You can PM if you'd like.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
To your original post, sorry I don't have anything to contribute. Have friends that are BLM, but I'm sure NPS does their own thing when it comes to that type of stuff. Doesn't sound like they even have the same contract for duty weapons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you seem to be delighted by this, so I am equally delighted for you, and wish you a successful career.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats. Seems like anything natural resource LE related in the feds is a tough nut to crack.

I know you were BIA for a while, I'm at my last step away from getting a firm offer from them and would be curious about any insight on how the job itself is from week-to-week. I'm pretty familiar with some of the individual tribal politics and preference thing, just curious about what the actual shift work is like, pros/cons, etc. You can PM if you'd like.
View Quote

Send me an IM about the BIA! After you hear what I have to say you might not take the job! Theft, Drug use, hiding murders, DUI's and these are your fellow officers or supervisor!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, you seem to be delighted by this, so I am equally delighted for you, and wish you a successful career.
View Quote

After six years trying to get into this job and knwoing people who had less experience and not have vet points get these jobs over me yes I'm very happy!

Also the past two years has been financial hard on my family! I can now take care of that and provide for them give them close to the life they where use to!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared to run speed traps.  Here in Hot Springs we have a cutoff, or shortcut that is heavily patrolled by the National Park Rangers. Same thing in some of the big parks like Yellowstone, Galcier, etc.  long stretches of 45 mph speed limit and no tolerance from the park rangers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be prepared to run speed traps.  Here in Hot Springs we have a cutoff, or shortcut that is heavily patrolled by the National Park Rangers. Same thing in some of the big parks like Yellowstone, Galcier, etc.  long stretches of 45 mph speed limit and no tolerance from the park rangers.
View Quote

So glad that's not what I'm going to be dealing with Chief told me problems there is pouching and illegal fishing and tell people they have to leave the park. I don't think the parks really have any roads as both parks are by the ocean. I always hated giving tickets and doing traffic DUI's on the other hand liked do them 99% of the time if I pulled you over it was a warning unless you opened your mouth or where rude to me. I can count on one hand how many tickets I have issued and most of them where forced during my FTO time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
You've held a lot of jobs. Hope this one works out for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations, and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Be safe out there
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!  

Have fun at LMPT.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations and don't get captured.

I'm surprised they still issue the 228! Did they just order a metric ton of new ones that they still issue?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#13]
The only time I used my own handgun on the job was when I was doing UC work. I was issued a G23 and my personal pistol was a G27. Other then that I figured I'd rather have the department pistol in evidence then mine if I ended up using it.

I do carry my own personal AR though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So glad that's not what I'm going to be dealing with Chief told me problems there is pouching and illegal fishing and tell people they have to leave the park. I don't think the parks really have any roads as both parks are by the ocean. I always hated giving tickets and doing traffic DUI's on the other hand liked do them 99% of the time if I pulled you over it was a warning unless you opened your mouth or where rude to me. I can count on one hand how many tickets I have issued and most of them where forced during my FTO time.
View Quote

How many reports have you done?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

.....Huh?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Seasonal Position?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Send me an IM about the BIA! After you hear what I have to say you might not take the job! Theft, Drug use, hiding murders, DUI's and these are your fellow officers or supervisor!
View Quote

No doubt you brought this up to the FBI right? Heck just two years ago you were all about the BIA, what happened? Hmmmmm.

"We are a busy agency work long hours make great money and you work with great Officers!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No doubt you brought this up to the FBI right? Heck just two years ago you were all about the BIA, what happened? Hmmmmm.

"We are a busy agency work long hours make great money and you work with great Officers!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
After 6 years trying I got in! Leave for my duty station next month. I asked what sidearm we carried and was told SIG 228 in 9mm.

I did ask if I would be able to carry my own 226 and was advised that maybe I could. I much rather don't like how the 228 fits in my hand then the worse part no light rails!

I'll toy with the whole weapon issue later just happy made it on O never thought I would and I applied for this one just out of S&G.

Few questions you guys use external carrier now? Also what boots are they giving you guys in warm wet areas?

Chief tolde I did not need to bring a thing of my old duty gear (Had a full set up do to the BIA never buying me any) Any advice guys? Thanks!
View Quote
 Where you certified before you left the Dallas police academy?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmmm mm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I just went out to the Channel Islands last month which is the most remote and least visited park in the lower 48. The only access is by ferry, once a day. It's warm and wet for sure - just off the coast of Ventura, CA.

I chatted with the officer on duty in the park. She is the sole LEO in the entire park (full time resident) and her closest backup is a 1+ hour boat ride away. Interesting position for sure.  We didn't get into SOPs or anything like that, but she was wearing an external carrier with soft armor, no plates. Also carried a Sig, but I couldn't identify the exact model.

Her boots just looked like a standard Bates or some other typical urban duty gear boot. Nothing special or particularly outdoorsy, which surprised me.

Oh, and congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I took over evidence and found out that my Lt contact was stealing cash and drugs. It was reported a investigation was opened by OPM and nothing happen. I started being targeted by my department Lt I reported on did my yearly reports giving me all ones.

I was sent off for 30 day to other reservation to never get payed overtime became hostile work environment. I.A investigation done because I back into a dumpster.

Got sick of it still will say I did get to work with great guys there is still two guys there that I would take them as back up anytime.

Also told about how one was almost killed by the protester as he covered a drunk Native who drove into there camp did not hear that on the news. Told about how one of the corrections officer ran over someone as she was texting in a government vehicle killed the guy went to the PD washed the blood off said she hit a deer. BIA said she was some new black girl and was fired she was native just very dark and was promoted and sent to AZ.

I have not gotten into rape or guys who had sex with 15/16 year old girls and they where in there 30's.

Anyone who wants to go in the BIA or work for a reservation it's there own world and if you don't like it get the £uck out!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 Where you certified before you left the Dallas police academy?
View Quote

When I went to the BIA I was one of the last class to be sent through LMPT now they have Rural Indian Police academy 16 weeks.

The problem was that LMPT was made for people who went to college and well most of the natives has problems with the test we started with 50 people in our class graduate 20 one do to medical rest to the test.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I think we understand. Thought you were working for a railroad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I took over evidence and found out that my Lt contact was stealing cash and drugs. It was reported a investigation was opened by OPM and nothing happen. I started being targeted by my department Lt I reported on did my yearly reports giving me all ones.

I was sent off for 30 day to other reservation to never get payed overtime became hostile work environment. I.A investigation done because I back into a dumpster.

Got sick of it still will say I did get to work with great guys there is still two guys there that I would take them as back up anytime.

Also told about how one was almost killed by the protester as he covered a drunk Native who drove into there camp did not hear that on the news. Told about how one of the corrections officer ran over someone as she was texting in a government vehicle killed the guy went to the PD washed the blood off said she hit a deer. BIA said she was some new black girl and was fired she was native just very dark and was promoted and sent to AZ.

I have not gotten into rape or guys who had sex with 15/16 year old girls and they where in there 30's.

Anyone who wants to go in the BIA or work for a reservation it's there own world and if you don't like it get the £uck out!
View Quote

Do you write reports using such great grammar and spelling?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you getting hired as a Seasonal/Temporary or did you get a permanent slot?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Good grief
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Soup sandwich
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are you getting hired as a Seasonal/Temporary or did you get a permanent slot?
View Quote

Seasonal right now. They already have another seasonal spot open after my time, I did apply for that and during the interview the chief told me there was going to be a permanent spot opening when I'm there and they want me to apply for it.

Not sure if I will take it I really want to live in Texas so it would depend on if Amasted park would pick me up or Big Bend would be fine also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
You're giving up a full time job for a seasonal one? . How many LE jobs have you had ( counting the Dallas police academy)?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The problem was that LMPT was made for people who went to college and well most of the natives has problems with the test we started with 50 people in our class graduate 20 one do to medical rest to the test.
View Quote

Seasonal is good, if you pick a place that is busy and will likely have openings. Otherwise, you are just getting some time in. After doing a pay comparison, I couldn't see staying around. The pay was mediocre, the job was awesome, but you can see how the local control can only go so far it making it great for the workers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top